The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please help me download and install the game. Infinite loading screen

VelimOrthic
VelimOrthic
✭✭✭
When I try to download the game, I get the loading stuck problem. I've looked through a LOT of old threads concerning this problem. Not all of them, I'm sure. But a LOT of them.

So far some of the highlights of my attempted fixes have been:

Buying a new $185 GPU (and the $18 hdmi cable needed to attach it to my monitor)
Wiping my C drive 3 times with a fresh install
Spending days and days cherry picking windows updates

I think this is a lot of work. I even just ordered a new version of windows along with a new hard drive, which is set to be delivered Friday Nov 4th

All just to keep playing this game, which I've been a plus subscriber to for over a year. I'd just like a little help and guidance.

Best Answer

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    The issue was VC++ redistributable. The ESO setup gives you an option to install VC++ 2010 redistributable. I finally started thinking that it was odd that they gave you an option at all. I mean if it's part of the game, just install it with the main online install. Then I noticed that for some reason, I had both 2008 and 2013 versions of the VC++ redists in my list of programs (or, apps, as apparently they're now being called). This was nothing I hadn't seen before and had fielded all the options imaginable in attempting to work around the problem whatever it turned out to be. And whether VC++ was even related or not.

But when I noticed TWO copies of 2008, and also TWO copies of 2013, in my list of programs, I gave deleting all of them and installing ESO's 2010 VC++ a crack.

For the first time in what seems like years, eso is now past the loading phase and into the installation phase.

I actually can't believe it. Windows 7, my old video card, windows 10, my new video card, they all must have been installing the wrong VC++'ses. Who knew such a minor-sounding thing meant life or death for an entire game.

Of note I want to underscore the fact that I tried ESO's 2010 lots of times before. I tried removing windows/nvidia's/whoever's other versions lots of times before. I have no idea why it's working this time around.
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got problems with CWC, infinite load after login, uninstalling and deleting the c:\program files\ zenimax online folder then reinstalled solved it.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    I got problems with CWC, infinite load after login, uninstalling and deleting the c:\program files\ zenimax online folder then reinstalled solved it.

Would you mind starting a different thread? My problem started before CWC release.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Would you mind starting a different thread? My problem started before CWC release.

zaria, I apologize, I misread your response. I read it as saying "I've got problems with CWC", when what you were saying was "I had gotten problems with CWC". I've been a bit testy after a long and expensive couple of weeks and I'm at my wit's end. I wish I could edit or delete that post.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Also, by "wiped my C drive with a fresh install", I mean a fresh install of the Windows Operating System.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    You know I really feel down and in the dumps. I've gone from eso not working right, to my computer not working right, to my computer not working at all, to spending an abominable amount of time trying to fix it so as to avoid the money it would take to do so, to finally spending it to get it all fixed up. Now there's just this weird little problem left that could only be on the ZOS end. After going through all of this, I have to beg. Please, there are people who know about this loading stuck problem. Can't you help?
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get through this be killing the loading, restart my PC and then run repair, restarted again and it worked!

can´t tell you why, but it did, though all my settings where gone, and I had to do all that once again, but at least it works now.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    I get through this be killing the loading, restart my PC and then run repair, restarted again and it worked!

can´t tell you why, but it did, though all my settings where gone, and I had to do all that once again, but at least it works now.

When what you're trying to do in the first place in just download the game onto your PC, there won't be anything to repair.

Settings are naturally nonexistent.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to try and see if it's a firewall issue. But I can't figure out what to exempt. I think you can manually type in exemptions to firewalls? Maybe type in www,elderscrolls.com, but I'm uncertain about the specific address.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone offer assistance?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addons?
    Firewall?
    Antivirus?
    Which version of Windows?
    What video card do you have now?
    Did you ever try a repair rather than a reinstall of Windows?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Addons?
    None. It's a thrice wiped drive with no eso on it.
    Firewall?
    How do I provide the details
    Antivirus?
    MSE
    7 ult home sp1
    What video card do you have now?
    My wallet et al have been waiting to be asked this question. geforce gtx 1050 ti
    I don't understand. When all has been wiped, what would there be to repair?

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 ult home sp1
    I don't understand. When all has been wiped, what would there be to repair?

First issue is your Windows is not the latest version, and probably does not have all the DirectX components. I believe SP3 was the last of the Windows 7 Service Packs, so you need to be at least to that level.

Repair is an option in the Launcher that validates the files and fixes what is messed up. No need to wipe the game. So, you have downloaded this game 3 times now?

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    First issue is your Windows is not the latest version, and probably does not have all the DirectX components. I believe SP3 was the last of the Windows 7 Service Packs, so you need to be at least to that level.
    I've been using the version I posted for 2 years with no issues up until September.
    No need to wipe the game.

It's not the game. It's the entire hard drive, and eso, and windows, and all the programs and files with it, that have now been wiped three times.

I keep getting the feeling that this hasn't been getting through.
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Did you try and contact Support?
    2. You need the 64bit Windows version with latest SP, all updates and latest drivers;
    3. If by any chance you're trying to install 32bit version of ESO I'm pretty sure it won't work, as ZOS will stop supporting 32bit early in 2018;
    4. Where are you from? I know there are problems with ISPs blocking ports and stuff in some countries lately.
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not the game. It's the entire hard drive, and eso, and windows, and all the programs and files with it, that have now been wiped three times.

I keep getting the feeling that this hasn't been getting through.

Its getting through. Your using a Hand Grenade to kill a cockroach. I only mentioned not having to start over from scratch for future reference. I mean your spending hours doing something that does not need to be done.

Unless of course your using an image file to build your disk again. In that case, your image file could be hosed.

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear, and I could easily be incorrect, that the problem stems from and centers around MS VC++ redistributable, what ever under god's christing sun that is. I mean I've seen it countless times I just have no idea what it is or does.

Everything I try seems to end up back at that.

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    As to all who have attempted help I give thanks for your attempt.
    That wouldn't explain why I've been perfectly fine playing eso on this exact same OS for 2 years. Unless you have a theory that they've just made a massive upgrade that now makes doing so impossible.
    Repair is an option in the Launcher that validates the files and fixes what is messed up. No need to wipe the game. So, you have downloaded this game 3 times now?
    There aren't any options. There is a very simple thing that repeats. 1) Attempt to install (from the eso website's "download" button"), 2) Loading screen. Literally nothing other than that.

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Streega wrote: »
    1. Did you try and contact Support?
    Once. About a year and 10 months ago. After 2 months, they finally got back to me. With the message "we're backed up here and had to drop your ticket. Sorry". Or something to that effect.

Yeah, won't be bothering with that anymore. I think I'll put my faith in users who might have had the same problems instead.
    2. You need the 64bit Windows version with latest SP, all updates and latest drivers;
    It's 64, and though it would blow my mind that my windows version is the ultimate problem no pun intended, what with 3 fresh installs, I'm beginning to lean towards that being the case.
    3. If by any chance you're trying to install 32bit version of ESO I'm pretty sure it won't work, as ZOS will stop supporting 32bit early in 2018;
    Definitely not 32.
    4. Where are you from? I know there are problems with ISPs blocking ports and stuff in some countries lately.
    US

Thank you sincerely for the attempts. I believe they could be insightful.

• VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    Its getting through. Your using a Hand Grenade to kill a cockroach. I only mentioned not having to start over from scratch for future reference. I mean your spending hours doing something that does not need to be done.
    Fair enough if it turns out to be a stupid little dll problem. But man is that counterintuitive when all you want to do is start over in a place that worked fine for 2 years. I'm so stressed and freaked out at this point that I don't even see a difference between hand grenades and roaches. And speaking of roaches and stress, I've recently gone through a bedbug ordeal. I now have a thousand yard stare.
    Unless of course your using an image file to build your disk again. In that case, your image file could be hosed.
    No, not an image file. Or wait. Maybe? Are image files on disks? I could check. I don't think so though. When I open my windows install disk I think there's a just bunch of folders and files on it. It doesn't have a big old image file.

And thanks, a lot, for responding and helping. For real.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    It seems I'll be waiting 3 more days for a new hd & os

Unless of course anyone can help a brotha out
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    By stuck on loading, you mean the launcher itself just says “loading” and never goes to the download/patching screen?

If so, I had that problem years ago on a different computer. What I did to fix it was turn on a program called Ultrasurf before I start the launcher. After the launcher patches and is ready to actually start the game, you can turn the program off and close it. I think Ultrasurf is still completely free and pretty straightforward to use.

Frankly, I have no idea why that solution worked for me and some other people, but it’s worth trying at least.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    After an update I always "Run as Admin"
    If I get a loading screen for more than a minute I stop and run again as admin.
  • VelimOrthic
    VelimOrthic
    ✭✭✭
    So I made a new computer with absolutely nothing having to do with the old one. All hard drives were clean and new. As were all components. Even the OS was new. It was one that I'd never used before - win10.

Same exact result. Interminable Loading. It's clearly a problem with my account/IP.

After spending so much money that I've had to take out a personal loan, I'm almost actually wondering if someone I ran into in game just has it out for me.
  • Bpryr_125
    Bpryr_125
    So I made a new computer with absolutely nothing having to do with the old one. All hard drives were clean and new. As were all components. Even the OS was new. It was one that I'd never used before - win10.

Same exact result. Interminable Loading. It's clearly a problem with my account/IP.

After spending so much money that I've had to take out a personal loan, I'm almost actually wondering if someone I ran into in game just has it out for me.

Steam or direct download?
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The issue was VC++ redistributable. The ESO setup gives you an option to install VC++ 2010 redistributable. I finally started thinking that it was odd that they gave you an option at all. I mean if it's part of the game, just install it with the main online install. Then I noticed that for some reason, I had both 2008 and 2013 versions of the VC++ redists in my list of programs (or, apps, as apparently they're now being called). This was nothing I hadn't seen before and had fielded all the options imaginable in attempting to work around the problem whatever it turned out to be. And whether VC++ was even related or not.

But when I noticed TWO copies of 2008, and also TWO copies of 2013, in my list of programs, I gave deleting all of them and installing ESO's 2010 VC++ a crack.

For the first time in what seems like years, eso is now past the loading phase and into the installation phase.

I actually can't believe it. Windows 7, my old video card, windows 10, my new video card, they all must have been installing the wrong VC++'ses. Who knew such a minor-sounding thing meant life or death for an entire game.

Of note I want to underscore the fact that I tried ESO's 2010 lots of times before. I tried removing windows/nvidia's/whoever's other versions lots of times before. I have no idea why it's working this time around.

Glad to hear it seems to be working now, hopefully that’ll be the end of any issues
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!