The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help please - khajiit word/name for dark/shadow

Danikat
Danikat
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to come up with a name for my shadowghost senche and ideally I'd like something in ta'agra, but annoyingly there seem to be very few known words available and none of them fit.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a word/name/term meaning or associated with dark, shadow, twilight etc. that might work, or at least give me a good starting point?
PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Check this dictionary. It has 'shadow' and 'dark' and 'twilight'. http://www.taagra.com/dictionary.php
    Edited by Hippie4927 on October 29, 2017 4:19PM
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh cool, thanks! I've never seen that site before, I've been relying on the lore page on UESP but that only has a short list of words.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not an official source, but a fan project.

According to an interview with Jobasha from Morrowind, Khajiit often choose names "for the sound, not for any meaning." So basically, you can use whatever name you want. For example, I'm fond of the name "M'dar-vajij" even though it doesn't "mean" much in Ta'agra (and, technically, should be M'vajij-dar).

You could probably extrapolate from "dro-m'Athra." Colloquially, "Bent Cats," although it's possible that "Litter-Mates of Darkness" is a direct translation. If so, since "dro" is "elder" and "m'" is "child," "dro-M'" could imply a parent-child relationship (litter?), leaving "athra" as "darkness." There are also the sa-m'Athra, shadowy senche that fight with the dro-m'Athra. We don't have a translation of "Sa," although at least one NPC has it in his name, suggesting that it's a common honorific.

Above all, though, Khajiit are quizzical and often do things without much reason, so you should feel free to name your senche however you like.
    Edited by PrinceShroob on October 29, 2017 5:39PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the moment I'm leaning towards Athraiit or Athriit - which a combination of Athra - dark or ghost and the suffix -iit which states what one does (as in khajiit - one who walks the desert).

Which gives me variously ghost/dark walker or one who is dark/a ghost, depending on how you interpret it. And I kind of like the fact that there isn't a direct translation.

The other possibility is to give it a Welsh name like I usually do for my mounts - in which case I'm leaning towards Gwyll, which means dusk.
    Edited by Danikat on October 29, 2017 6:30PM