Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stronger: Stam or Mag

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Edited by Skoomah on October 28, 2017 7:50PM

Stronger: Stam or Mag 119 votes

Stamina Build
48%
CavalryPKwheem_ESODeHeiWitarDredlordKetarmishIdinuseDedricusVeoKatinasFearlessOne_2014NolaArchIlluvatarrEmma_OverloadApheriusSugaComaTorbschkaVaohraasdalKlingenlied 58 votes
Magicka Build
51%
SolarikenmoutonIduyennAzuryaHexylBam_Bammelloni_aleb16_ESOIxSTALKERxIValen_ByteWingSkoomahDevilcryX3inaDamien_UvirithRagnaroek93MyerscodFfastylXvorgZolronxylena 61 votes
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough choice
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka Build
    Magicka has better mitigation through shield stacking mechanic and stealth spamming mechanic. Magicka is better at wiping big groups with bomb blades and destro ult. Magicka makes more use of class skills which makes for more unique and interesting builds/gameplay.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AND......GO!

Ks3ZCkN.jpg
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Small group: stam
    big group: mag
    1v1 depends on class
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    PvE-wise, I would say Stamina.
    Their DPS is much higher and their survivaility is incredible without the use of shields. Magicka has to spam shields to survive big damage which cuts away their DPS, and they essentially serve to buff the damage of Stamina nowadays through the use of Off-balance and Minor Vulnerability.

PvP-wise, it is 100% situational.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    Magika, hands down. With the exception being stam warden which is currently perfectly balanced ;)
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    Solo PvE mag is easier, stam is better
    Small scale PvP mag is easier... who is stronger depends on class. Everyone has something to offer in small scale
    Large scale PvP mag hands down due to ultimates
    Trials - who cares
    Forgot to mention - Solo PvP - I prefer my magsorc, but my stamwarden feels very strong due to such perfect utility and burst
    Edited by GrigorijMalahevich on October 28, 2017 9:12PM
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Magika, hands down. With the exception being stam warden which is currently perfectly balanced ;)

Which game are you playing
    Edited by Zagnut123Zagnut123 on October 28, 2017 10:18PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Which game or you playing

He's being a smarty pants. I almost jokingly agreed but was afraid of hate mail lol
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    It's not even remotely close. Stamina is far better and also easier to play.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    Stamina.... BY A MILE. Not even close.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    I find magicka archetypes to be way more annoying. Stamina is free AP the majority of the time since they can't dodge anything remotely strong.

Cloaking stamblades are pretty annoying though.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamina for just pure damage/strength.

Mag for utility.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    ak_pvp wrote: »

Mag for utility.

I think the warden is the only class where I believe the stamina version is more powerful. The magicka and stamina versions of the Nightblade feel the most balanced to me. Magicka dumps on its stamina counterpart with the other classes though.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka Build
    I have a Stam DK and I wreck 95% of players/classes. All the Stam DK brothers and sisters, stand up and be counted! Hoorah!!

Lefty Lucy, come back bro!
    Edited by Skoomah on October 28, 2017 11:22PM
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For most content, having some of each is best. Unless you solo pvp, it doesn't matter much.
  • grannas211
    grannas211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    Stamina is easier to do well with in small scale. Magicka is easier to do well with in large groups.

Stamina warden is easiest to do well with no matter the situation.
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    Generally speaking, I think Stamina is decidedly better in Battlegrounds (excepting the role of a dedicated healer, obviously). That doesn't mean that magicka setups are "garbage" by any means, but a well played stamina character is almost always more dangerous than a well played magicka character, simply because there are far more counters to magicka than there is to stamina.

If I have to go defensive, I can spam Harness Magicka and/or the Warden class absorb while keeping resources up against fellow magicka characters. Against stamina setups, the class absorb is useless if they're not a bow build, and Harness will be knocked out quite quickly as well as not return any resources. Then there's also the fact that most stamina builds are going to be in my face for a vast majority of the fight; spammable gap closers and snares will see to that. Generally speaking, it's much easier to get some breathing room via LOS/distance when facing off against magicka builds.

The burst of stamina characters is also usually much harder to avoid (and some classes moreso than others). The first time you eat a big Dizzying Swing stun (and I swear there are times I've blocked it with plenty of stamina, and still taken full damage + stun) while they have a Dawnbreaker ready, you're probably boned...unless maybe you're a Sorc with some freshly applied shields.

Were ESO to have a truly competitive team-vs-team PvP system, akin to WoW's Arena (please work on something like this ZOS!), I don't think you'd see all that many magicka DPS in the top echelons. I think the ones with the greatest potential would probably be Mag DKs, since their damage output is incredible, and AOE root spam is one of the best ways to counter stamina damage/resource sustain (as well as keep the enemy healer locked down in your Stam Sorc's negate, especially if combined with an instant, unblockable stun).
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »

Mag for utility.

I think the warden is the only class where I believe the stamina version is more powerful. The magicka and stamina versions of the Nightblade feel the most balanced to me. Magicka dumps on its stamina counterpart with the other classes though.

Magsorc is stronger in most areas than stamsorc. Better burst, comparable mobility and control (ranged+streak+mines vs melee but speed+streak+mines) and a better defense. (shields)

Stamina DK has more damage, sustain and tankiness. (Raw strength mentioned) MagDK has less of those, but better CC and pressure/utility to add on top. (10% extra fire damage, maim)

Stamplar has stronger damage and mobility, and can tank quite well. The ravager set works really well and gives insane damage. Magplar has no CCs and quite a bit lower damage, but makes a great group healer.

NB is even as you said, and warden is surprisingly even too. They play really similar as both have good healing, survivability and damage. The only reason stam is stronger is the sets and DB.

Of course mag near universally has better group utility, so above is from a purely from a solo standpoint where pure killing/surviving is the key. Stam: 3. Mag: 1. Tied: 1
    Edited by ak_pvp on October 29, 2017 2:46AM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Small group: stam
    big group: mag
    1v1 depends on class

QFT
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    Stamina has better defensive tactics that are passive and scale better in 1vX situations.
    Magicka shields good against 1 or 2 competent players max. And has many many counters and gear counter.
    Stamina clearly wins here.

Stamin has much better and cheaper form of mobility then magicka based builds. Mobility is huge in PvP. Stamina clearly wins here as well.

Stamina has much higher burst damage than magicka based builds.

Stamina is much easier to solo with then a magicka based builds at similar skill level.

Magicka based builds are superior in Zergs because, outgoing healing, group purging, and destro ultimates.

If any player runs out of stamina while in combat they die. If a stamina based character runs out of magicka it's merely just a inconvenience.

Break Free, Block, Sprint, Sneak, Bash are key to survival in PvP. Stamina based players can utilize these a lot to cover for mistakes. Magicka can't afford to make mistakes with their stamina as they can maybe utilize these 2 to 3 times before being out of stamina and died.

Other than Zerballing. Stamina based builds are the clear winners. As they have distinct favorable game mechanics. Working in their court on the battlefield.

Since I have no PvP guild or friends to call on. I've personally now, mostly run on stamina based builds in Cyrodiil because of how much easier and powerful they are. More so when trying to solo or small gang PvP. Versus playing with a magicka based build. The mobility, burst damage, and sustainability without having to spam a skill or two is huge. This is why I am going to give stamina the nod.
    Edited by FearlessOne_2014 on October 29, 2017 8:22AM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both the same imo, both have strengths and weaknesses.
    PC EU
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build
    It all boils down to these 2 things...
    If any player runs out of stamina while in combat they die. If a stamina based character runs out of magicka it's merely just a inconvenience.

And this...
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    simply because there are far more counters to magicka than there is to stamina.

The rest of the issues can resolved by adjusting values but these are fundamental issues.
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build

This is just pure ignorance and shows you have a childs level understanding of game mechanics.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    I’ve now played stam DK, stam sorc and stamblade, extensively and magplar more recently but a lot in the last couple weeks. I’m completley blown away by the toolkit and versatility of magplar. 1700 mag regen on magplar feels like 2.5k stam regen in any of my other toons. As far as open world pvp goes solo or group, keep defense, siege or just random encounters, magplar is crazy good. In PvE it’s also very very good capable of dps or tanking or healing or solo no problem. Idk how other classes compare for mag but for overall play no stam class compares. Stamblade might come close, but still doesn’t have the skill synergy of magplar.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dredlord wrote: »

And this...

The rest of the issues can resolved by adjusting values but these are fundamental issues.

If a stamplar/NB runs low on mag then they too are in trouble. No purge/armour buff or cloak.

Mag has shields. Probably the most overpowered thing with the least counters. For instance dodge/block takes dot and ground based damage fully. (Dodge takes all AoEs.) Shields only solid counter aside from shield breaker, which is a set that is totally useless against non shield users and stamina only. Is oblivion/bleed. Which affects everyone the same. (Inb4 pressure = counter. Everyone is countered with pressure.)

Shields don't have much that can go through it. Are sustainable 100% scale higher with mag. (Unlike something like block which sacrifices lots of damage)

Mag also has higher utility. By a lot. MDK/sorc has CCs better than stam. Msorc+MNB make good bombers the likes stam can't.

This is just pure ignorance and shows you have a childs level understanding of game mechanics.

Kek.
    Edited by ak_pvp on October 30, 2017 10:37AM
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build

flat out untrue
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina Build

And this...

If a stamplar/NB runs low on mag then they too are in trouble. No purge/armour buff or cloak.

Mag has shields. Probably the most overpowered thing with the least counters. For instance dodge/block takes dot and ground based damage fully. (Dodge takes all AoEs.) Shields only solid counter aside from shield breaker, which is a set that is totally useless against non shield users and stamina only. Is oblivion/bleed. Which affects everyone the same. (Inb4 pressure = counter. Everyone is countered with pressure.)

Shields don't have much that can go through it. Are sustainable 100% scale higher with mag. (Unlike something like block which sacrifices lots of damage)

Mag also has higher utility. By a lot. MDK/sorc has CCs better than stam. Msorc+MNB make good bombers the likes stam can't.

Kek.
    So if Shield Breaker is such a minor thing, surely you'd be OK with your stamina build's defenses having a similar hard-counter gear set available to magicka users? Maybe you'd also be fine with giving us the equivalent of Shimmering Shield, reflects, and Negate, but aimed at countering stamina builds instead? And if my attacks are going to fill up the magicka pool of an opponent who's spamming Harness Magicka, perhaps yours should too.

Almost all of my BG games since the patch have been played on a Magicka Warden, and facing off against Magicka builds is, generally speaking, vastly easier than going up against Stamina. I've seen a couple Mag DKs that are an exception, but even then they're easier to escape from.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on October 30, 2017 1:11PM
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Build
    Magicka is ZOSgiven
    no love for Stamina builds
    no love for NB

I still not sure why they invinted stamina at all in the game?!
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub