The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A desperate plea from a fan who loves the housing.

Wraithscream
Wraithscream
✭✭✭
I have played nearly ever single day since Morrowind dropped. I subscribe to PLUS, and have probably spent over $150 on crowns. This is the only game I play because I don't have time in my life for others. I play on Xbox.
Now I love making, selling, decorating with furniture in the game. I know nearly every single vanilla pattern in the game. Would you like to know how many Morrowind epic patterns I know? One. One pattern. Out of the HUNDREDS they added to the game. I did not even find it. I had to pay 500k for it in a trader. Most players don't know any. I know about 20 of the blue rare patterns (pretty much the only ones that drop). They added a multitude of these patterns too but I would say 3/4 are not dropping for anyone.

Now I have farmed nearly 30,000 urns. I spend multiple hours running 5 different characters through ancestral tombs to finally find my first epic morrowind pattern. That drop rate is below terrible. That is so month of farming and not getting a single one.
And now I hear that they have nerfed the already terrible drop rates on patterns from Clockwork city. Added to this fact is that the crafting materials are as rare as the patterns and we have even a worse situation than in Morrowind.

So I have some questions that I would love a response to:

1) Is this going to be the model from now on? Will we just have to suck it up and only ever use vanilla patterns to decorate our houses? It seems you don't want anyone to have any of the new patterns.

2) Is this just about you guys getting more sales from the furniture crown store?

3) Are you pretty much giving up on housing from now on?

4) Or are changes coming to at least bump the drop rates even a little?

Thanks for your time and I hope a mod can take some time to respond to these questions from my guild.
Edited by Wraithscream on October 28, 2017 2:49AM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Answers (becuase ZOS won't)

1) Looks like it.
    2) Yes
    3) Oh no, not giving up on housing, but you have to PAY for it.
    4) Of course not, see #2.
  • Wraithscream
    Wraithscream
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I know it's a terribly long shot that they will answer but I had to try.

I know many people are not into housing but me and many others I know are. Sadly their new strategy is what is pushing me away from the game. Believe me I want to stay but if I learn 1 epic plan a year.... what is the point of playing?
    Edited by Wraithscream on October 27, 2017 8:55PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I feel the same way. Housing was what re-enregized me into playing, and ZOS is killing that.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love the housing despite the limited functionality. I’m with you though. Drop rates are abysmal.

I’m not going to buy single use furniture items in the store.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Wraithscream
    Wraithscream
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think their Bean Counters have thought this strategy out

So I have both Morrowind homes. I know exactly one epic pattern. It's a Tapestry. For me to decorate the house in morrowind furniture bought in the crown store it would cost me over $300. And that's being modest.

Now how many people are going to do that? Not many. So let's say the rate is increased for drops. I know 25 patterns now and can decorate a much higher percentage of my house and can buy pieces others know. Guess what? I'll probably buy furniture in the crown store to finish the missing pieces. And I know for sure tons of others would as well.

They have not thought this out very well.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So I have both Morrowind homes. I know exactly one epic pattern. It's a Tapestry. For me to decorate the house in morrowind furniture bought in the crown store it would cost me over $300. And that's being modest.

Now how many people are going to do that? Not many. So let's say the rate is increased for drops. I know 25 patterns now and can decorate a much higher percentage of my house and can buy pieces others know. Guess what? I'll probably buy furniture in the crown store to finish the missing pieces. And I know for sure tons of others would as well.

True...
    I dont know, I'm buying all those costumes, mounts etc pretty often, but housing and furniture... To be honest, its just a blatant cash grab. And even though I'm not against spending money on the game, I will not buy all those furnishings from crown store on principle. The artificial scarcity of recipes is so annoying that I simply cant support it and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
    Same with houses, 100+ euros for 700 slots doesnt look like a good deal for me.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Wraithscream and @LadyNalcarya I agree wholeheartedly. I was buying furishings from the Crown Store that cannot be made or purchased in game, but I refuse to buy items which I could make in game, if I had the recipe, that almost never drops.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 27, 2017 9:31PM
  • Wraithscream
    Wraithscream
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice to see I am not alone. If this many people reply to this thread agreeing this quickly, the number of people totally dissatisfied with furnishing pattern drop rates must be huge. 95% of people never go on the forums.

I never want to post things like this because someone always comes along and says I'm begging or many other excuses. I just love the game and have been so sad and the new housing direction. Thanks all
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh someone will still post some hate. I've been making a point of talking about how I cannot afford the amount of Crowns ZOS wants me to spend on this game, and been told everything from "go play something else" to "just grind for it" or " that's pointless" (especially in relation to housing and crafting).
  • Jawasa
    Jawasa
    ✭✭✭
    On morrowind patterns I agree they are to rare they should remove the other patterns from vvardenfell containers to not dilute the drop rate. Seems like simple fix to me. Same with CWC ones.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly think if you are looking for so and so furniture blueprint that you should be able to have a higher chance in the associated area to find it, that it should be 10x easier to go to the associated area and just farm it.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of us who are into housing are also into crafting. Much of the satisfaction of decorating our houses comes from the fact that we can (or should be able to) craft the items we use to decorate. Sadly, this has been impossible for the Morrowind update. As stated above, the Morrowind patterns/designs/blueprints hardly ever fall.

My own interest in housing has nosedived recently. I can’t see any point in spending crowns on new houses when I still can’t decorate my Redguard Hunding’s house to my satisfaction because I haven’t gotten enough drops of the original recipes that came out with Homestead, much less the more recent patterns/designs.

I have zero intention in buying those furnishings from the crown store. I want to craft them myself!
    Edited by DarcyMardin on October 28, 2017 5:54PM
  • Wraithscream
    Wraithscream
    ✭✭✭
    I have sent personal messages to the forum mods. If I had developer emails I would hit them up as well. This is a big problem that needs needs to be addressed.

Please stop ignoring us mods!!!
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are absolutely right, I was enjoying collecting plans for houses and that was still VERY hard work to spare gold and/or farm myself, UNTIL experienced the ridiculous Morrowind furniture plans drop rate!

As you rightly said, it's something that brings away from the game since you don't see any hope to gather all the plans you need in order to feel you have completed that style or be at least satisfied (--THAT'S the game ZOS--).

It's just an awful grind to obtain maybe 2 purple plans in months and months of insane grind, or you must have insane amount of gold, millions and millions and hurry up when some goes for sale, how fun is that, are you kidding ZOS?

Feed more the gold sellers, go ahead, there are people who will buy gold for cash as last resort to buy the plans.

Vaardenfell and Clockwork drop rate is insulting, though the enthusiasts' goal is not to buy from your store a nightstand and a bookcase, WE WANT TO CREATE THEM, that's the point.

INCREASE the damn drop rate.

Edited by RANKK7 on October 28, 2017 11:19AM
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Wraithscream. I'm not going to spend a crapton of real money to decorate in a whole new style if I don't already have the means to make a big chunk of it myself. It's making a pile of matching furniture that inspires me to want to buy accessories or fill in missing pieces--one or two missing pieces, NOT 95% of a missing style.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I agree with Wraithscream. I'm not going to spend a crapton of real money to decorate in a whole new style if I don't already have the means to make a big chunk of it myself. It's making a pile of matching furniture that inspires me to want to buy accessories or fill in missing pieces--one or two missing pieces, NOT 95% of a missing style.

Exactly, that's an extra, not the real thing. The game is to collect the PLANS and they are taking away all the fun with such insane drop rate.

So disappointing, so hopeless.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought as many furnishing purple recipes as I could for 10 writ vouchers each.

I freely buy them now in guild stores for 5-20K. If I think I'll be able to sell the resulting items, I sometimes pay 40-60K, or even a bit more. (Almost always Redguard ones, of course.)

But I'm making no effort whatsoever to get Morrowind furnishing recipes.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that's pretty much suicide, so abysmal chance to get just one, it's not fun in any way.

lll
    lll
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »

Yes, that's pretty much suicide, so abysmal chance to get just one, it's not fun in any way.

Which is exactly what ZOS wants, but they can't figure out why no one is making the step to buying $500 of furniture from CS.

Yeah, I'm pretty jaded.
  • Wraithscream
    Wraithscream
    ✭✭✭
    Since I posted this i have ran 52 more urn runs in Hleran ancestral tomb.

Still at zero epic morrowind patterns.

Not that I'm surprised at all. I think when one drops i might have a heart attack from the sheer shock.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you one hundred per cent. You've hit the nail on the head, @Wraithscream . Let's hope someone counting the beans comes to their senses so that it can become both mutually beneficial to us as players and them for being profitable. Most of us aren't going to buy ANY furniture through the crown store if it's all super rare. But we will buy furniture to complete our sets.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what everyone in here has said. I haven't bought a house in a long time because of the frustration, and I rarely go visit or try to decorate any of the houses I do have anymore. RNG combined with high prices just kills it for me.

My concern, though, is that with the frustration we are feeling, which is making some (many?) of us play less with housing/buying less houses/buying less furniture from the crown store, they'll simply look at these numbers on their end and assume housing is just not what the players are interested in and either stop providing us with new housing stuff or stop trying to improve it when in fact all they need to do is give better drop rates and maybe lower some prices, and we would be much happier than we are now.

I have no problem buying stuff from the crown store for housing (plus costumes/mounts/pets) on top of my ESO+, but I need to feel like I can get some stuff in the game too during my hour or two a day I'm able to play. I need incentive. Grinding/farming/low RNG, producing very little reward is not incentive and does the opposite of what I think they're assuming it will do, which is to keep us playing nonstop in an effort to gain these items or make us give up enough to shell out a ton of cash on the shop. Nope. :(
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    if thery have to sell furnishings at least sell the plans not the furniture itself
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've essentially given up on trying to be a "master crafter" since Morrowind. ZOS has made trying to collect motifs, furniture plans and recipes an endless grind that not even hard-core players are capable of doing, let alone us casuals.

I don't do trials. I don't do PvP. I play PvE and I could take pride that I had all the motifs & most recipes. I could craft virtually anything that people asked for. Since Morrowind...well...there goes that.

Clockwork City really has been soured for me by this. It has become impossible and I don't know how much longer I want to stick around for.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if thery have to sell furnishings at least sell the plans not the furniture itself

If I wanted to craft my own furniture, I would do so. As it happens, I’m delighted that the Crown Store sells furniture so that I don’t have to.

So that would be a resounding ‘disagree’ if there were a disagree button.

• CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

If I wanted to craft my own furniture, I would do so. As it happens, I’m delighted that the Crown Store sells furniture so that I don’t have to.

1 - Until Morrowind you could have bought all that furniture for gold at a trader, and helped prop up the economy.
    2 - More power that you have the IRL cash to do so. If you ever wonder what to do with all that cash, send some to me.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    or ya know, you could purchase them off guild traders, stop with the blatant hate for no reason
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arobain wrote: »
    or ya know, you could purchase them off guild traders, stop with the blatant hate for no reason

If you were talking to OP... you can't really find Morrowind and CWC pieces, there are many Morrowind patterns I've never seen for sale, much less obtained them to craft. Also, some people don't bother crafting to sell, as most patterns that are cheap/readily available aren't "cool."

And you're completely forgetting that many housing fans are also crafters. We don't want to buy furniture from others, we want to make it ourselves.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on October 31, 2017 12:07AM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

1 - Until Morrowind you could have bought all that furniture for gold at a trader, and helped prop up the economy.
    2 - More power that you have the IRL cash to do so. If you ever wonder what to do with all that cash, send some to me.

1. If I'd had the ingame gold to spare I would have bought a significant proportion from Guild Traders . Still buy paintings though, as those are much better value than the Crown Store overpriced offerings. :/

2. I never wonder what to do with all my IRL cash. :p
  • SisterGoat
    SisterGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible that maybe epic Vvardenfell plans don't come from urns? Maybe they can only be picked from pockets or other certain containers? I have gotten a couple epic plans from urns, but they were vanilla.
    Jumps-In-Water - Magicka Templar
    Dar'akar - Stamina Nightblade
    Jumps-In-Lava - Magicka Dragon Knight
    PC/NA