The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Annoying light-leaking bug (light going through walls)

Stormahawk
Stormahawk
✭✭✭✭
Some light sources go through walls, which can be rather annoying and can even ruin certain builds.

For example, I placed (upside down) a Molag Bal Brazier into a fireplace in the Exorcised Coven Cottage. Looks good, right?

unknown.png

However, if you look at the cottage from the OUTSIDE, the light goes through the walls!! Does not look so good anymore.

unknown.png

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom this appears to be a bug and not an intended effect. There are a couple of other really bright light sources that do this.
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    It does the same thing with the Witches' Basin, Scrying, for what it's worth.
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as the Halo goes, you have to disable it either via an addon, or directly through the UserSettings.txt file in your Elder Scrolls Online folder.

SET LENS_FLARE "1"
    Set this to "0" and poof, all the irritating and obnoxious halo glows are gone forever. :smile:
    Or, you can set this function in Votan's Advanced Settings addon, which essentially does the same thing only via an addon menu.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I experience the same thing with the blue flame brazier or any high powered light source pretty much.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, was noticing the same thing with my cottage today with a torch in the fireplace. Unattractive.
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. It looks awful.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I can think of some practical uses for it but traditionally speaking I think it is terrible and needs to be fixed.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Figures. ZOS QA.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Stormahawk
    Stormahawk
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does this light leaking bug with a lot of other bright light sources like Daedric Brazier. Disabling the halo or lens flare effect won't stop it from showing up for other people.

I was able to "fix" this by lumping a lot of rocks on the outside of the Exorcised Coven Cottage where the fireplace is. Of course now instead of having the blue light bleeding through walls, I have a pile of rocks there instead which doesn't look too good but is better than having a random disembodied blue light.

I've seen other cases of this light leaking bug where people would put light sources on the second floor of a home and the lights would leak through the ceiling when on the first floor.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stormahawk wrote: »
    It does this light leaking bug with a lot of other bright light sources like Daedric Brazier. Disabling the halo or lens flare effect won't stop it from showing up for other people.

I was able to "fix" this by lumping a lot of rocks on the outside of the Exorcised Coven Cottage where the fireplace is. Of course now instead of having the blue light bleeding through walls, I have a pile of rocks there instead which doesn't look too good but is better than having a random disembodied blue light.

I've seen other cases of this light leaking bug where people would put light sources on the second floor of a home and the lights would leak through the ceiling when on the first floor.

Maybe you could make use of the leaking light by building a shrine or a witchy altar, instead of just covering it up?
  • Stormahawk
    Stormahawk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Stormahawk wrote: »

Maybe you could make use of the leaking light by building a shrine or a witchy altar, instead of just covering it up?

The issue really is that it affects a lot more than the witch hut, including leaking through floors if your house has a 2nd floor or a basement, or even room walls.