The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Spell crit/damage VS Weapon crit/damage

SoftcoverGore47
As a Mag DK, with all points in magicka, I run a staff on both bars. They are my 'weapons'. Does weapon crit/damage apply to staves? Or is the damage a staff does considered to be only spell damage, meaning only spell crit/damage apply to staves? Basically I want to know if I should just ignore weapon crit/damage, and focus on spell crit/damage?
XBX1 NA
MAG DK
CP 810
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka stuff only works off of spell damage and spell crit. This includes staves.

Stamina stuff only works off of weapon damage and weapon crit. This is all the other weapons.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a Mag DK, with all points in magicka, I run a staff on both bars. They are my 'weapons'. Does weapon crit/damage apply to staves? Or is the damage a staff does considered to be only spell damage, meaning only spell crit/damage apply to staves? Basically I want to know if I should just ignore weapon crit/damage, and focus on spell crit/damage?

Staves + magicka-consuming abilities scale with spellcrit/dmg. So you can safely ignore weapon crit and weapon damage as mag-DK :)
    Be aware, that your skills also scale with max-magicka :wink:
    Noobplar
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spell damage and spell critical only applies to staves and abilities that cost magicka unless otherwise stated in the ability's description.