The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Still can't bring myself to buy a house.

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm sorry to say, I still find them awfully expensive, considering what little use they are.

For me, there would need to be more to these very expensive toys. When I had a house in Star Wars Galaxies, one of the things I liked was that I would occasionally get random visitors. I enjoy the same thing about Lord of the Rings Online (though there tend to be fewer visitors). I also liked being able to just visit someone's house at random, and see what they had done with it. Very often, I would sit on the balcony of my Tatooine villa and watch as people would run by on their way to one adventure or another. I would also spend my time in my home, crafting or decorating. It took a long time, but eventually, LotRO provided that bit of utility as well. In both games, the houses provided LOTS of storage space.

There's very little of this kind of thing here.

If I bought a house, I would be left to sit in it, alone, with nothing to do, nowhere to put anything. It's just not appealing. As it is, I'm better off just taking over an existing house in the game world, like the Abandoned House in Bangkorai. It's already decorated, has containers that produce goods I can loot, a balcony from where I can see people running by, occasional visitors... There are other such places.

At this point, I don't know what should be done with it, but I wanted to express my disappointment, as the housing aspect of the game was probably 80% of my gameplay in Galaxies. I'm one of those that likes to become part of the world, to build a "life" for my character. It distresses me somewhat that I can't DO that here.
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend Snugpod near Elden Root if you ever decide you want something small that will be functional. It's cheap, and you can put all your crafting stations in it, so get some functionality out of it. It's right next to a stables, and close to a wayshrine, the Undaunted, and a drop-off for crafting writs.

Or not.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say, I still find them awfully expensive, considering what little use they are.

For me, there would need to be more to these very expensive toys. When I had a house in Star Wars Galaxies, one of the things I liked was that I would occasionally get random visitors. I enjoy the same thing about Lord of the Rings Online (though there tend to be fewer visitors). I also liked being able to just visit someone's house at random, and see what they had done with it. Very often, I would sit on the balcony of my Tatooine villa and watch as people would run by on their way to one adventure or another. I would also spend my time in my home, crafting or decorating. It took a long time, but eventually, LotRO provided that bit of utility as well. In both games, the houses provided LOTS of storage space.

There's very little of this kind of thing here.

If I bought a house, I would be left to sit in it, alone, with nothing to do, nowhere to put anything. It's just not appealing. As it is, I'm better off just taking over an existing house in the game world, like the Abandoned House in Bangkorai. It's already decorated, has containers that produce goods I can loot, a balcony from where I can see people running by, occasional visitors... There are other such places.

At this point, I don't know what should be done with it, but I wanted to express my disappointment, as the housing aspect of the game was probably 80% of my gameplay in Galaxies. I'm one of those that likes to become part of the world, to build a "life" for my character. It distresses me somewhat that I can't DO that here.

wow - I remember Star wars Galaxies.... had a late night dancer...... and got really BIIIIG tips for being live - aside from that - I made millions there in the fur trade - had a nice house - etc..... Also had housing in Oblivion and Skyrim which had storage - so much better than current housing in Eleder Scrolls Online
    Edited by Imza on October 27, 2017 4:14AM
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I recommend Snugpod near Elden Root if you ever decide you want something small that will be functional. It's cheap, and you can put all your crafting stations in it, so get some functionality out of it. It's right next to a stables, and close to a wayshrine, the Undaunted, and a drop-off for crafting writs.

Or not.

Well, I've got the little St. Delyn's apartment in Vivec City, but it's REALLY limited. There's barely any room to put anything there. Bed, chair, desk, light, bookshelf, table... and that's about it. There's lots of SPACE, but not enough allowed items.

Even at that, the other issues remain. No one has ever come and visited. I can't look out the window or over the balcony, and see the world going by, people questing, or travelling... there's nothing to DO there. No crafting, no banking, no storage, no nothing.

I've accumulated 5000 points, I'd been considering the Velothi home on the north coast of Vvardenfell, but I just can't bring myself to buy it...
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could let us know which version of Tamriel you reside in yes then perhaps we could visit you more often?

And if you are able to make use of it this one she finds 'Port to Friends House' to be a most useful addition to the housing system.

A house is a way of expressing yourself yes. Also a nice place to put your crafting stations all together. Somewhere to hold parties.

Also perhaps consider a business rather than a home. This one she has opened a theatre, a college and a tavern so far.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Idk about you but people visit my home a lot. If ur super creative you can make amazing things that people tell there friends about and they all visit a lot to see wats new.

It’s not for everyone it does cost a lot but one of my fav homes built everything with npc stuff that was 100g each and its amazing
    Edited by FloppyTouch on October 27, 2017 7:40AM
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might consider finding more friends who are into housing - I'm in a housing guild, and there are others - where people will talk about houses, invade each others', et cetera. If you don't have a spare guild slot, perhaps setting your note letting people know you welcome visitors? In my trading guilds, if there's a note saying something like that I'm -far- more likely to drop by uninvited.

Also, check your settings to make sure visitor access is enabled.

Finally, seconding what SantieClaws said. Your house can be anything, from a home, to a magic shop, to a thieves' hideout.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an avid decorator myself, indeed that is what I do much of the time ingame and I love it.

It doesn't affect me personally, but I can completely understand the frustration of most house owners due to lack of functionality.

Crafting stations are all very well and good, but what people want is attunable ones, and those take forever and are a total pain in the backside to get with the current master writ system.

The player number limit allowed in each house is abysmal.....OK for small parties and casual visitors, but absolutely useless for guilds. So what is the use of spending a lot on a 'Guild Hall' and decking it out, if you can only have 24 max guildies in it at any one time.

The absence of any kind of storage is alien to the way housing is treated in other MMOs. And @ZO$'s reason that players haven't maxed out their inventory/bank slots is ridiculous to say the least, given the cost of doing that.

It's nice to have a banker and a merchant. But, there again it's half-assed as you can't access the Guild bank via your banker, and the merchant baulks at repairing your gear.

So there we have it. Even us decorators are pretty unhappy due to the swingeing item limit imposed on houses.

I don't know what proportion of their incoming finance the Homestead and Crown Store furniture spin-offs accounts for, but it strikes me that @ZO$ really need to wake up and do something substantial about housing, before the playerbase votes with its collective feet and stops throwing that money at them.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of buying the Exorcised Coven Cottage only to find it is a glitchy POS. Wasted 250k gold.
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    As others have pointed out above, housing in eso isn't for everyone.

It provides a fun end game for me. Earning gold to buy expensive furnishings from guildstores and achievement furnisher. Collecting new blueprints and materials to craft my own. And saving up vouchers to get the high end furnishings.

Sure it's expensive but what else do people spend their gold on? Potions, food, and gold mats i suppose..
    I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    As others have pointed out above, housing in eso isn't for everyone.

It provides a fun end game for me. Earning gold to buy expensive furnishings from guildstores and achievement furnisher. Collecting new blueprints and materials to craft my own. And saving up vouchers to get the high end furnishings.

Sure it's expensive but what else do people spend their gold on? Potions, food, and gold mats i suppose..

The people who would enjoy housing the most, the ROLEPLAYERS, aren't going to HAVE that much gold, because they're not always out there grinding for it. That's why I consider this a problem.

• Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CiliPadi wrote: »
    I made the mistake of buying the Exorcised Coven Cottage only to find it is a glitchy POS. Wasted 250k gold.

Yeah I bought it as well and yep that home is glitchy. It is nice though and some of the glitches add a whole new value in the place. Some are just annoying though.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭

The people who would enjoy housing the most, the ROLEPLAYERS, aren't going to HAVE that much gold, because they're not always out there grinding for it. That's why I consider this a problem.

Well if the roleplayers want a mansion then they have to role play their way enough gold to buy that mansion.

A roleplayer who just wants to decorate their house without working for their gold isn't a very dedicated roleplayer.

They can role play their way to become hunters, gatherers, woodcutters, merchants, potion making wizards, these are all ways I support my housing habits, I just don't role play when I do it.

I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I bought a house, I would be left to sit in it, alone, with nothing to do.

Until @Morgha_Kul realizes things he could use housing for....
    tenor.gif

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best use for a house in this game besides making a crafting set up and or passing time decorating the place, is to use it for quick and easy fast travel that is free. Mournoth Manor in Bangkori is just next to a Wayshrine, so I can port there, then port to anywhere else. Snugpod is another one. There is one in Reapers March next to WS too. So, to that end, a house can be useful.

But, I do wish there was some other incentive like storage (25 for small, 50 for large and 100 for manors, with this doubled for ESO Plus is my suggestion.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    But, I do wish there was some other incentive like storage (25 for small, 50 for large and 100 for manors, with this doubled for ESO Plus is my suggestion.

This x 1000

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well I had that little farm in WoW-Pandaria, and you could actually grow your own veggies and herbs for crafting there and did not have to farm any mats or blueprints!

And here I have to grind those recipes to get a crafting station were I can build my stuff which I also have to farm the mats for? Bad concept I say!
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azurya wrote: »
    well I had that little farm in WoW-Pandaria, and you could actually grow your own veggies and herbs for crafting there and did not have to farm any mats or blueprints!

And here I have to grind those recipes to get a crafting station were I can build my stuff which I also have to farm the mats for? Bad concept I say!

Pandaria wasn't terrible, but when they increased those little plots in Draenor it completely crashed the economy. As for RPers not having gold - eh. I like to RP and I find ways to make gold. It would be nice if the achievement stuff weren't quite so expensive and the morrowind plans weren't so prohibitively rare.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.