The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Account Transfer

kypranb14_ESO
kypranb14_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Technically speaking, what is it that prevents Zenimax from transferring data from one platform to another?

In this case specifically, I'm talking about moving my data, or at least my accumulated CP from Xbox One to PC.

This isn't a request for a transfer(as I've already been declined), but instead a request for information as I like to understand the why not just "it can't happen because we currently don't offer that service".

I want to know, why don't you offer this service?
-Is it a technical limitation?
-Is it Microsoft protecting my data on their platform?
-Is it just downright too expensive for Zenimax to do?
-Other, explain please!

*To clarify, I already own both the PC and Xbox versions of the game, and I am swiftly climbing my way back to 700CP on the PC version. It just would have been nice to not have to re-grind my CP, as I now have a newborn and therefore much less time to play. Oh, and the loss of every penny I spent on ESO+ and Crownes on Xbox also sucks! I mean, the ESO+ alone has been running non-stop since the Xbox release, finally being cancelled in October since I swapped to PC mid September, and back in February I purchased $80 in Crownes.

@ZOS_BillE
@ZOS_JessicaFolsom
@ZOS_CaseyCoffman
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BUMP
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kypranb14_ESO
    I was also declined... After buying new PC with 1080ti and 144hz gsync monitor - it would be just insane to continue playing on Xbox.

It took me about 5 days to reach 160cp and start farming PvP gear. Also it is quite fun when people judge your skill by amoun of CP you have and when a <200 cp guy tells a >600 cp guy how to complete vMA, haha.
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kypranb14_ESO
    I was also declined... After buying new PC with 1080ti and 144hz gsync monitor - it would be just insane to continue playing on Xbox.

It took me about 5 days to reach 160cp and start farming PvP gear. Also it is quite fun when people judge your skill by amoun of CP you have and when a <200 cp guy tells a >600 cp guy how to complete vMA, haha.

Yeah, it is pretty funny when people judge your skill by CP. Though honestly, this hasn't happened to me much. In fact, only once. A guild leader of a guild I had joined didn't believe I could effectively heal and DPS veteran dungeons at the same time using my Magicka Nightblade.

I was like "Think what you want man, I have been doing this for over 1.5k hours on Xbox, with poor performance holding me back." lol
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was already addressed on the forums.....

The save file was taken from one sever and out on another prior to the server ever launching. That’s the way it was done and it’s technically not possible now. Some new technique must occur, but no details were provided as they wrote its not something they are looking to provide.

Maybe it’ll come up in 2018 if they ever intend to offer something
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Jake1576
    Jake1576
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They offered transfer's before when ppl from pc wanted to move to Xbox one and ps4 so I'm not sure why they say they can't do it now but I am certain that if it was done before the same process could be done again it most likely comes down to they just don't want to offer it to ppl for who knows why
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The save file was taken from one sever and out on another prior to the server ever launching. That’s the way it was done and it’s technically not possible now. Some new technique must occur, but no details were provided as they wrote its not something they are looking to provide.

I'm sure they could offer it during weekly maintenance or something. Nonetheless, I wanted to know why they can't don't offer it now. Surely they could charge us for it to be done with a little disclaimer saying we have to wait for the next maintenance or something.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copying accounts into a new empty database is entirely different than copying into a database with many existing accounts.

It would require new development and ZOS had said they have no plans currently to do it.

There is a help article on their website that covers this. I would link but I am on my phone.
  • Countcalorie
    Countcalorie
    ✭✭✭
    the lack of any incentive.if its not a loot box why bother?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure they could offer it during weekly maintenance or something. Nonetheless, I wanted to know why they can't don't offer it now. Surely they could charge us for it to be done with a little disclaimer saying we have to wait for the next maintenance or something.

They actually said they can’t. I think what people are missing is what’s in the full save file and how it relates to the server. It’s a copy of the account as well and was done manually vs automated which excludes things too.

I was confused when they explained how it did work and we asked a lot of questions during that time and they gave some details but in the end, they said many times it’s a one time offer and won’t be offered again.

Shrug, guess it’s not that they don’t want too but that they can’t. Perhaps a big game overhaul is needed first.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 29, 2017 11:44AM
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They actually said they can’t. I think what people are missing is what’s in the full save file and how it relates to the server. It’s a copy of the account as well and was done manually vs automated which excludes things too.

I was confused when they explained how it did work and we asked a lot of questions during that time and they gave some details but in the end, they said many times it’s a one time offer and won’t be offered again.

Shrug, guess it’s not that they don’t want too but that they can’t. Perhaps a big game overhaul is needed first.

If you are right, and they can't. Then surely they could do crown purchase transfers by simply crediting said account on the new platform. After spending a bundle of money on ESO+ and a few crowne purchases, it'd be nice to at least have that. Either way I just dropped a pile of money on crownes again to get me some of the items I had on Xbox. lol
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make it possible!
    we had it in WoW, the possibilty to transfer to another server(costed reral money), so why not?

and pls make faction change possible!
    Love2pay for it, but make it possible!
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are right, and they can't. Then surely they could do crown purchase transfers by simply crediting said account on the new platform. After spending a bundle of money on ESO+ and a few crowne purchases, it'd be nice to at least have that. Either way I just dropped a pile of money on crownes again to get me some of the items I had on Xbox. lol

I can’t comment on that as my understanding is crown transactions don’t happen with them on the front end. Meaning Xbox is purchased via Xbox, PS4 is via ps4 and steam is via steam so only the non-steam PC crown purchases happen directly with them.

I believe they way it would work for Xbox at least is the purchase would be done directly through them and they would work with Xbox to provide a code to input on the Xbox.

At least that is how the paid account copy worked in the past, however that payment for for a discounted game with an account copy not just an account copy so maybe the sku has to align with something that exists already. I do believe part of this is possible but can’t confirm confidently. Because crowns exist, I’m not sure that they and Xbox would further explore crown transfers because I fail to comprehend the purpose myself. Consider buying eso Plus on Xbox one still gives me issues where I don’t get my crowns always and have to open a ticket each time.

If I wanted crowns on one platform or another today, I would buy there. The only reason the transfer happened in the past is because you couldn’t buy anything on console yet and this was pre the digital pre order on Xbox one roll out for all games.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 30, 2017 1:05PM
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t comment on that as my understanding is crown transactions don’t happen with them on the front end. Meaning Xbox is purchased via Xbox, PS4 is via ps4 and steam is via steam so only the non-steam PC crown purchases happen directly with them.

I believe they way it would work for Xbox at least is the purchase would be done directly through them and they would work with Xbox to provide a code to input on the Xbox.

At least that is how the paid account copy worked in the past, however that payment for for a discounted game with an account copy not just an account copy so maybe the sku has to align with something that exists already. I do believe part of this is possible but can’t confirm confidently. Because crowns exist, I’m not sure that they and Xbox would further explore crown transfers because I fail to comprehend the purpose myself. Consider buying eso Plus on Xbox one still gives me issues where I don’t get my crowns always and have to open a ticket each time.

If I wanted crowns on one platform or another today, I would buy there. The only reason the transfer happened in the past is because you couldn’t buy anything on console yet and this was pre the digital pre order on Xbox one roll out for all games.

Well, at the time I bought ESO on the Xbox I didn't have a PC capable of running ESO. Now that I do, it would have been nice to have those crowne purchases transferred, as I couldn't have bought them on PC before I owned a PC. Same as PC players couldn't have purchased Xbox crownes before hand.

I know that this are ever so slightly different, and I also know that Xbox charges Zenimax a portion of everything Xbox players purchase. Knowing that, I wouldn't expect ALL my crownes to be transferred, even 50% would have been nice.

Regardless, I purchased a $150 crowne package last night. I'm not hurting for money nowadays, but it doesn't mean I like throwing money away either.
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me. They can do anything with the proper motivation. The incentive must not be enough for the cost of implementation.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, at the time I bought ESO on the Xbox I didn't have a PC capable of running ESO. Now that I do, it would have been nice to have those crowne purchases transferred, as I couldn't have bought them on PC before I owned a PC. Same as PC players couldn't have purchased Xbox crownes before hand.

I know that this are ever so slightly different, and I also know that Xbox charges Zenimax a portion of everything Xbox players purchase. Knowing that, I wouldn't expect ALL my crownes to be transferred, even 50% would have been nice.

Regardless, I purchased a $150 crowne package last night. I'm not hurting for money nowadays, but it doesn't mean I like throwing money away either.

Edit:

Some of this may be slightly innacurate but I tested it and forgot I have a PC account so sorry.

Original comment:
    Actually you could’ve purchased the PC game and PC crowns without a PC canales of running the game. PC purchases aren’t within the game, they are on the ESO website.

If you mean crown store purchases, consider crowns were not transferred in the PC to console transfer so as I wrote earlier, they may be able to explore this in the future but as is, no one is prevented from purchasing eso Plus, crowns or the game on PC as long as they have a mobile device or PC with an internet browser.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 30, 2017 5:09PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me. They can do anything with the proper motivation. The incentive must not be enough for the cost of implementation.

@Storymaster
    Actually some things don’t align between the two companies so it’s not just a matter of what is technically possible, there are other impacts which my interpretation is, those aren’t up for debate or consideration to change.

Also it’s not that ZOS didn’t clarify long ago, it was a one time limited offer so perhaps it is technically impossible until the game and the servers saves are redesigned.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 30, 2017 5:12PM