The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

"An error has occurred. Please wait a few minutes and log in again" No viable solution found

Chromatose
Chromatose
Soul Shriven
My recent support reply was marked as "solved" even though the issue was not resolved, and I was given a cookie cutter response to use the repair tool. I have followed up that ticket but sinceit was marked as "solved" I don't know if I will ever get a response so I'm going to post my problem here as a backup, and so that I might get some proper help with this issue:

Only on very rare occasions can I log into my character. Upon choosing my character, the game hangs for a bit then sends me back to the menu stating "An error has occurred. Please wait a few minutes and log in again." There is no error code, no explanation, and sometimes if I am really persistent, the game will let me in seemingly randomly. However if I do get in and move to a new zone, the error is almost guaranteed to occur again, and I will be forced back into this infuriating cycle of trying over and over again.

Here are a list of things I have tried to resolve the issue that have failed: (These are solutions recommended through google searches and by support)
  • Updating my drivers, specifically those for my graphics card
  • Restarting
  • Repairing via the launcher after removing the current ProgramData folder
  • Using ESO.exe to avoid launcher and Steam issues
  • Deleting ShaderCache.cooked
  • Wiping ALL addon data
  • Trying the EU server instead of US
  • Sent upon request a report.txt file to the support team

I feel like I have been given preset responses by the support team and that whoever I am dealing with hasn't been willing to delve into what has been causing my issue. Firstly they referred to the issue as "crashing", they told me to update my graphics drivers, then without confirmation they rapidly marked the ticket as "solved" after telling me to use the launcher repair function.

This is really annoying. I have premium time ticking away that is being wasted because I can't get into the game, all because of an error that should NOT be occuring. All my games except for Quake Champions and ESO, both Bethesda games in the Humble Monthly run and connect without issue. These two games are the only exception, and I have no idea why they are such a nightmare to play. Please, help me resolve this. I am so sick of these pointless issues.

Here are my specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Model: All Series
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/18/13 21:40:28 Ver: 03.01
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM
Page File: 3906MB used, 12352MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 960
  • ValkynSketha
    ValkynSketha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a problem with your isp, as i had this problem before and whenever i change zones and sometimes even at character selection i get this error, my problem was ip was changing frequently like every 1min, to see if you have same problem, use vpn and play for a long period of time, if all good then contact your isp.
  • Kneighbors
    Kneighbors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try connecting through vpn. Just download any free vpn provider (hide.me is ok) and try connecting to the game.
  • CombatPrayer
    CombatPrayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying the EU server ? The hell? Sure I will leave all my NA guilds, even the one where I am GM and just head on over to a different server entirely because ZOS tech support is sad.
  • snailbrick
    snailbrick
    ✭✭
    Same problem. It has started occurring more and more frequently since about a month ago. Tonight I have spent 45 minutes trying to log in, each time getting error has occurred try again. I have tried some of the same suggestions you've done.

I'm about to give up on this game.I've played almost every single day for the last 2 years, but this is a waste of my time trying to login 50 times. It either gives me an error when I try to log on or when I switch to alts. It's basically become unplayable in the last month.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a DNS flush,or at least rebooting your router.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Randigo
    Randigo
    I'm having this problem, too. They first told me my graphics card was out of specification and therefore I couldn't get any help from them, so I got another one that is in specification. I now have been getting help from them, but nothing seems to be working. I did what they told me: got the updated graphics driver, updated the router firmware, flushed the DNS, restarted the router and modem, opened the ports they told me to open. Nothing. Still getting the "try to log in again in a few minutes" message (although the error 303 seems to be gone, now).

My username is Randigo, and I play on the PC.

By the way, I see that they are changing things for the update 17, like no longer allowing 32-bit client computers. I wonder if something is glitchy with all the changes they are making.
  • Randigo
    Randigo
    Finally!!! After a week or two of this problem, this instruction from ESO worked:

1. Go to the "Elder Scrolls Online" folder in My Documents.
    2. Open the "live" folder (NA megaserver) or "liveeu" (EU megaserver).
    3. Remove all files from the "AddOns" folder.
    4. Remove all files from the "SavedVariables" folder.
    5. Remove AddOnSettings.txt from the "live" folder.

After thanking Jesus, and then telling them that it seemed to be working now, I asked if they thought it was an addon causing the problem. Their response was that it most likely was an addon (or perhaps more than one).

I hope this helps you all!!! God bless, in the holy, precious, and mighty name of Jesus. Amen.