Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Where are you meant to acquire Nirnhoned Gear for researching?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know the simple way is to just ask a Crafter to make you a piece, but there has to be a way provided by the game of course. What is this way?
CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!

Best Answer

• CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You get one piece when you finish the Craglorn questline. That's it. Nirnhoned was designed for players to trade or sell researching gear.

Guild stores also sell nirnhoned research items
    Answer ✓
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get one piece when you finish the Craglorn questline. That's it. Nirnhoned was designed for players to trade or sell researching gear.

That...seems really bogus of ZOS to do. :|
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Yeah. It's kind of a heavyhanded way to force people to rely on other people, they *really* want to make sure no one can treat this like a solo game. "Play the way you want" is really conditional.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also an RNG Chance to get them from vMA Chests and certain Rewards of the Worthy.

Craglorn was a Group Zone when it came out, gathering Nirnhorned was always meant to be a group sourced activity.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Craglorn was a Group Zone when it came out, gathering Nirnhorned was always meant to be a group sourced activity.
    Yepp, the first (and last) of the glorious "Adventure Zones" ...
    sad.gif
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is only really a problem nowadays if you are completely antisocial. You can buy nirnhoned traited gear to research for a reasonable price. Further, most guildies will do it for free and right away if they are at a crafting station.

I am in a trade guild of almost 500 and only actually know or talk to 3-4, but from reading chat, anyone that asks to have a piece of research gear made and provides the mats usually has what they need in 5min and for free. It doesn't take a special crafting station, it's about 10sec of time to complete and someone is always doing something at a station.

For perspective...

When they first released the nirncrux traits, it was pretty horrible. Not only was the trait over performing, but it was a huge timesink to get potent or fortified nirncrux. Now I go out to harvest mats for writs and within 30 minutes I usually have 2-3 added to my inventory.

The worst of it, and probably one of only 2-3 things in the game that made me rage hard, was that if you had put time into crafting, it would take you 30 days to learn the trait. You could also make the lowest level gear with the trait. If you invested no time in crafting, you learned it in a few hours... and the peak price for selling research gear fell off significantly before the 30 days was up. The way it was done was so wrong that most crafters couldn't conceive that it could be learned and used faster by someone with zero in a craft than a max crafter.

Now, ZoS completely wiped away that sin with the release of master writs, but that was what, 2 years later?

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also an RNG Chance to get them from vMA Chests and certain Rewards of the Worthy.

Dont entirely understand though, if everyone is only able to get one trait once, how do people ensure they get all traits, especially when rng is involved.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is only really a problem nowadays if you are completely antisocial. You can buy nirnhoned traited gear to research for a reasonable price. Further, most guildies will do it for free and right away if they are at a crafting station.

QFT

If I see someone in chat asking for a piece, I just pop to a station, make it, and mail it. Easy peezy
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Dont entirely understand though, if everyone is only able to get one trait once, how do people ensure they get all traits, especially when rng is involved.

All of the other traits are available on random dropped trash gear. If you don't find what you're looking for, you can easily buy junk pieces on traders for cheap.

If you mean how is everyone supposed to get nirn on everything, the system relies on being able to get crafted pieces from those who already know the trait on the item(s) you need.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the original idea was cool, people working together, trying to fill all the blanks..

Prices are 8k on Xbox EU and 20ish for a weapon. Finally it means something again as alot of interest both here and in chat.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    I think the original idea was cool, people working together, trying to fill all the blanks..

Prices are 8k on Xbox EU and 20ish for a weapon. Finally it means something again as alot of interest both here and in chat.

Erk, haven't looked on the EU traders. That's pretty steep considering how relatively easy it is to get the mats nowadays, and you get them while doing the same thing you would do anyways as a crafter.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty steep considering how relatively easy it is to get the mats nowadays, and you get them while doing the same thing you would do anyways as a crafter.
    It's not about the mats, it's about getting all the weapons/armor pieces researched in Nirnhoned.

10k is nothing for a junk Nirnhoned white level 1 piece if that's the one you need ...
    shades.gif
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    That's pretty steep considering how relatively easy it is to get the mats nowadays, and you get them while doing the same thing you would do anyways as a crafter.
    It's not about the mats, it's about getting all the weapons/armor pieces researched in Nirnhoned.

10k is nothing for a junk Nirnhoned white level 1 piece if that's the one you need ...
    shades.gif

I don't want to admit exactly how many 9/9 crafters I have or the number that I am working on due to the master writ research timer scrolls, but... I currently have 10 craft mules about to hit 9/9 in a couple of weeks or so...

However, even if I was on a first crafter, the farming overhead is so low now and there are so many 9/9 crafters willing to help that 10k does not compute. The only irritating thing to me is how stupidly long it takes to log in and out of this game.

Edit: Even with a 9/9 crafter it used to be irritating because I only carried cp 160 mats, and then they added the craft bag and essentially free lower level mats from writ turn ins. It's super easy now.
    Edited by Wreuntzylla on October 25, 2017 8:38PM
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

However, even if I was on a first crafter, the farming overhead is so low now and there are so many 9/9 crafters willing to help that 10k does not compute. The only irritating thing to me is how stupidly long it takes to log in and out of this game.

10k is general price of potent nirn. Why does it surprise you that a research weapon costs at least this much?

While I don't mind making regular research items for free, I'm not giving away nirncrux. :)
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet people farmed there solo when it was the Group Zone all the time. I got all my nirncrux stones and finished my nirn research well before they changed the zone. I farmed solo. It wasnt hard, you just avoided certain mobs. Im sure you remember, the wasps in particular were killer.....literally.
    Edited by Katahdin on October 26, 2017 4:57AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

shades.gif

I make research items for free. I don't charge for the crafting, or the mats. I use the mat I have the most of, so your "infused" whatever might be iron, might be rubedite. The only exception is nirnhoned. Give me the nirn, and I'll make your research item for free. I won't give away nirncrux. I also won't do your shopping for you. If you can find nirncrux for cheap, great.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

And yet people farmed there solo when it was the Group Zone all the time. I got all my nirncrux stones and finished my nirn research well before they changed the zone. I farmed solo. It wasnt hard, you just avoided certain mobs. Im sure you remember, the wasps in particular were killer.....literally.

I meant gathering the traits on items, not the stones themselves.

And, yes, those wasps sucked.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

Yes, I did go there solo, when nirncrux only dropped in upper Craglorn to farm nightwood and voidstone.... and got killed more times there in each farming trip than I did in the whole original faction/Cadwell's Silver quests combined. The day I got my character leveled and geared well enough to actually kill the three wasps that attacked me....I was more thrilled than someone who made emperor. Got killed not too soon after that by a pack of jackals, but I BEAT THE WASPS!

But yes, getting all the nirnhoned gear to research was probably intended to be a guild/group activity. It was members of my first guild who acquired the pieces, and made the research items for me, as long as I gave them the nirncrux.

• Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is pretty much it! You have to get the piece needed for research from another person who has already researched that item in Nirn trait and can craft it for you. Usually providing the proper Nirncrux to said person and perhaps a tip will get you the item.

I craft Nirn items for research free as long as the Nirncrux is provided. Just think of how each piece in Nirn has come to be. Someone had to find that piece in Nirn and actually research it to craft it for research for others.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned has always been a group effort. I can tell how it all started in EU PC. When Craglorn was introduced, we crafters organized a network across several guilds and passed along new nirn trait items. Although each of us got only one random item, co-operating together we got the items rather quickly.

The non-crafters in my guilds donated new trait items from the Craglorn main quest reward to us crafters. I often learned it on mule as their first trait, so i got it making copies in six hours. Then in the network i was able to create copies of that item the same day. My fellow crafters were able to make some other items. If i got a request of copies i made the items i could and passed along the crux to a friend i knew was capable of crafting the others. In about a month we had acquired every nirn trait into the network.

Before Craglorn even eight traits was still a challenge. I had at that time five gear crafters, each spearheading to light, medium, heavy, bs weapons and woodworking. Initially nine trait learning was on these five crafters so that each needed to learn upto six items per profession. That meant that in two months i had all nine traits available at account level. (IIRC it happened somewhere october-november 2015. Crafting a set of golden glyphed Twice-born required lots of relogging :mrgreen: ) . Later they all grew to full crafters and these days nine traits to learn is the norm for every crafting alt.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • DazzerDoom
    DazzerDoom
    Soul Shriven
    I have just woken up to trying to get Nirncrux with the intention of making my own weapons.
    Thanks for the obvious tip to ask guild members to help out. I was all for just buying what I need.
    Probably more gold than common sense.
    Not wanting to change the subject but I have managed to get 10 for Armor but only 3 for weapons after farming some 3000 ores over 3 full days and killing enough wasp and pulling up so many flowers to change the eco system of the entire planet.
    Is there any easier and quicker way to get potent Nirncrux?
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't get them from flowers.

Ore nodes, wood nodes, fiber nodes [ancestor silk or whatever level your cloth mat is]. You might, once in a blue moon, get one off a critter that drops leather/hide scraps. I've gotten two off welwas since nirncrux were added to the game.

On the bright side, if you've been picking flowers you could get quite a bit of gold for them. People usually want the flowers for potions.