The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Launcher broken (and breaks entire PC)

snackrat
snackrat
✭✭✭
It quickly spins my data usage (W10 task manager) up to 100% by the time it reaches ~29%, freezes my entire computer as a result. It has a value for the download per sec, but makes no progress on the remaining data to download.

Hard reboot (smothering the PC with a button), same issue. Tried typical restarting, same deal. Tried repairing the launcher, same deal (at 49% repair). The latter even stuck the launcher button to 'Resume', as though the launcher itself was aware it was doing diddly-squat.

Every major update the Launcher is broken. Most of the time it just refuses to launch or repair because somethin'-somethin'-patch-manifest. Now it won't even let me use my computer.

I'm hesitant to reinstall the entire game if there's another way because:
(1) every time I've done so in the past, somethin'-somethin'-patch-manifest has happened EVERY SINGLE TIME. Not exaggerating. I have never had a major content update work smoothly. It has reached the point my flatmate has a backup installation on his computer that I copy over to save time (though it's pre-Morrowind). And
(2) that's a WHOLE LOT OF DATA to re-download if this version of the launcher intends to toast my drive.

Is there some particular file or folder specific to the launcher that I can fire into the sun or should I just give up this game for good
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    Fired the following folder into the sun:

"ProgramData" found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher

Game managed to patch properly, does not spin up disc, and even let me log in after a heavy delay. Except how I'm apparently missing a lot of texture assets at the character select screen, replaced with solid black. Actually trying to load a character crashes.

Attempting to repair..... aaaand it still spins up disk usage until freezing the whole thing at 49% again.

I do not have any antivirus programmes running (I use the default Windows Defender). And I am already running as administrator. Also note that Memory use is still very low; the disk is NOT being used because RAM is occupied.
    Edited by snackrat on October 24, 2017 1:31AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If your ESO Launcher is stuck loading, you should ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled in your Internet options.

These settings can be found by following the steps below:
    1. Open your Control Panel.
    2. Select Internet Options.
    3. Click Connections on the top panel.
    4. Select LAN Settings.
    5. Ensure that Automatic configuration Script and Proxy Server are disabled (unchecked).
    6. Once the settings are applied, please try opening the ESO Launcher to test.

If these steps didn't work, please try the following:
    • Go to the folder where the launcher is installed, locate the folder "ProgramData", and delete it.
    • In the folder where "ProgramData" was located, find the files "host.developer.Xlog" (X will be a number) and delete all of them execpt the one without a number (it should just be "host.developer.log").

Another possible solution is uninstalling and then reinstalling Adobe Flash Player:
    1. Go into your Control Panel.
    2. Go into Programs and Features.
    3. Click on Uninstall a program.
    4. Locate your current Adobe Flash Player files (typically there are 2).
    5. Click on each file and select Uninstall.
    6. Restart your PC.
    7. Go onto Internet Explorer to Adobe's website (www.adobe.com) and download and reinstall Adobe Flash Player.

Please be aware that some modems may have a particular feature (such as Turbo Page) that can prevent certain web-related services from functioning, including game launchers and website logins.

To disable this, you may have to navigate to your modem and deactivate this functionality. Check your modem's manual or contact your ISP for assistance.

If this does not resolve your problem, please contact Customer Support for further assistance
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm necro'ing this thread, because the problem stands.

Thought I'd try ESO again for the Summerset update. I uninstalled it completely after this thread debacle, and never bothered to reinstall it because my experience with the technical issues were... beyond infuriating. I have now remembered why I uninstalled in the first place.

I'm necroing this thread because all the exact same problems are still there, caused by this launcher and no other program on my PC. I tried all the fixes suggested, as well as some from other threads with similar problems. Unlike my last attempt, with the lack of textures that crashed, they got me far enough to boot in, think 'nice!' and resub for ESO+.

Then I realised there was no sound.

Heart sinking, I booted the launcher - and it immediately started patching again.

And it immediately spun up to 100% disk usage.

...so I guess that ESO+ money just fell into a hole, huh?
    Edited by snackrat on June 13, 2018 12:05PM
  • dbgager
    dbgager
    ✭✭✭
    You do realize that if you have an issue on your PC that is a you issue not a game problem Seems they are trying to help resolve your issue that is all they can do. You have indicated you don't even use an Anti Virus program. It might be a good idea to run a program like MalwareBytes ( which has a free version ) to see if your PC is infected with malware The one included with the OS is not good enough
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without seeing your system specs in detail it's impossible to know whether you even have a computer capable of running the game. In addition to the usual specs, is it a desktop or laptop, with a separate graphics card or inbuilt graphics? The more information you provide, the more likely it is that someone can help you.

The original patch manifest error message used to be a regular bug with the launcher and the repair recommendation could usually be ignored. I haven't seen it in a very long time.

Like @dbgager says, this is a problem at your end, not with the game, and the more information you can provide the better if you want some assistance.
  • MrAlanSmith
    MrAlanSmith
    ✭✭
    Seems to me your hard drive is dying... There cheap so just buy another one...
    Edited by MrAlanSmith on June 13, 2018 11:02PM