The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Trapped in the Wailing Prison

Morgha_Kul
Morgha_Kul
✭✭✭✭✭
I know, it's a prison, but my character is SUPPOSED to be able to escape.

I've arrived there, but now I'm in the main yard area, I can't proceed through the quests to escape. The reason, presumably, is because I HAVE no such quests. Lyris is nowhere to be seen, the Watchers are not there, the Prophet's cell is not burning, there is no Cadwell... All I can do is run around, pointlessly killing dremora. There is no way out, no way back. I can't wayshrine out, not even to visit a house.

I've filed a ticket, but the only response has been the canned response that didn't in any way address (or even refer) to my ticket. So, I'm left to wonder if there's something I can do.

Is it possible to SHARE the quests in the Wailing Prison? If so, perhaps that would allow me to jumpstart the questline and get on with it.

The alternative would be to delete the character and start over (which I resist, after playing him for months, and writing his daily journal after each adventure). In that event, I must wonder if it would be possible to start the character in the Wailing Prison as was usually done. Having Morrowind, I was forced to start in Firemoth. I wondered if it was possible to disable Morrowind, or otherwise start in the Wailing Prison?

Any thoughts?
Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reply to the email support sent you and you will get a human reply, first response is always a template / auto response.

Console or PC?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expect to have to reply 3 times (and re-explain it all three times) before getting a human response.

Also, if you let it go more than 24 hours between their reply and your reply back, it seems to start over.

I'm (slowly) leveling a character in the WP. I'm on PC NA as (oh.. which account...) I think it's my @eglantinerose account. Friend me and I'll happily try to help you, or I'll sweet talk my sweetie into trying.

I work nights and live in Minneapolis, MN so it's about 2-something am now, and I work till 7, get home around 9ish.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have the quest that brings you there, how did you get there in the first place? :tongue:

Sharing quests might definitely be an option worth trying. If you're on PC EU, I'm willing to try that with you when I get home (in about ~8hrs). Otherwises there's not much else to do other than wait out your ticket.. Have you tried the /stuck command, btw?
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember having a quest to get there ... before Morrowind dropped, anyway.

I could be wrong.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PC.

I don't quite know what happened. Of course, I started in Vvardenfell (I would have preferred the Wailing Prison, it suited my character concept better), but was captured upon visiting Davon's Watch. Transported to the Wailing Prison, the old tutorial began. Lyris freed me, and I proceeded to the main prison yard.

I hadn't played the character for a while after that, and when I went to carry on, I found Lyris was not there. More, the quest (presumably to destroy the Watchers) was not in my log (so no way to drop and restart). So, I'm stuck. There's no one to talk to to restart the quest, and there's no way to exit. I'm not allowed to use the door we exit through later, and I can't go back to the forges where I spoke to the Prophet.

The Watchers are not there, and Cadwell isn't there either, so there's nothing I can do unless they help me out.
  • Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    I'm on PC.

I don't quite know what happened. Of course, I started in Vvardenfell (I would have preferred the Wailing Prison, it suited my character concept better), but was captured upon visiting Davon's Watch. Transported to the Wailing Prison, the old tutorial began. Lyris freed me, and I proceeded to the main prison yard.

I hadn't played the character for a while after that, and when I went to carry on, I found Lyris was not there. More, the quest (presumably to destroy the Watchers) was not in my log (so no way to drop and restart). So, I'm stuck. There's no one to talk to to restart the quest, and there's no way to exit. I'm not allowed to use the door we exit through later, and I can't go back to the forges where I spoke to the Prophet.

The Watchers are not there, and Cadwell isn't there either, so there's nothing I can do unless they help me out.

So you have no quests, like at all? Are you on NA or EU server?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you grouped with someone would it work.

PS which PC? NA or EU?

Edited by newtinmpls on October 17, 2017 7:20AM
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the sympathies of Khajiit yes.

The food there was terrible, the room service slow and shuffly and the colour scheme less than inspiring.

This one hopes you manage somehow to make a break for freedom soon.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 quests, one in Vvardenfell, the other... I don't recall now, I think it's a crafting writ.

I've tried asking repeatedly in chat if someone would group and see if the mission can be shared, but no one ever replies.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which server are you on traveller? Also what is the name you travel under?

Then perhaps someone reading here may be able to try and help you?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about recreating your character? If I read it correctly, he / she hasnt done anything yet other then trying to get out of the prison. So why waste time with the support, while you can recreate your character, finish the prison in one go (takes about 30 minutes anyway) and be done with it?
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    What about recreating your character? If I read it correctly, he / she hasnt done anything yet other then trying to get out of the prison. So why waste time with the support, while you can recreate your character, finish the prison in one go (takes about 30 minutes anyway) and be done with it?

I wouldn't do that without a lot of angst.

I know some people (and my spouse is one of them) roll up "another version" of their characters (he is even now re-creating the same character for his ... 5,000 some odd hours or so "next" play through of Skyrim).

I just cant. and the trouble becomes part of their backstory.
  • obscure7
    obscure7
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this post some kind of analogue to running around the wailing prison asking players and/or NPCs for help? As in your character is losing his mind in the prison (as is the purpose of him being there in Coldharbour) and this forum cry for help is all just in his mind? It would make for an interesting journal entry for sure.

That would be some next level RP.

Good luck with the ticket, hope it turns out all right.
    PC NA
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if the quest before your hiatus last led you into the main yard, then the next step would be to crouch attack one of the eyes, but you say theyre not there, so that would make me think youre on the next step which would be to talk to Lyris by the flaming door she says is Warded. But if you just dont have the quest in your journal at all then oof.

Hopefully someone on your server can come and Taxi you out.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some thoughts.

If no one is replying in chat, see if you are somehow offline (I have a friend whose computer does this to her a LOT. No idea why, she keeps having to manually reset it.

Next, try /stuck in game. Sometimes that works.

Um...next if you are comfortable, post what server you are on. If it's PC NA or PC EU, you could try sending a friend request to me at either @newtinmpls or @eglantinerose (I play both, but a LOT more on NA) and I'll answer it then maybe we can group at some point or you can port to me if I'm online when you are online. Or try that with any guildies you have online.

I wonder if it would be easier to port to someone who was in a version of Cold Harbor?

Don't know if you can click for a map and then try and teleport to a wayshrine.

Um....let yourself get killed, see if that changes anything?
  • Valve
    Valve
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my alt account, I have something similar, I'm already in the prison, but haven't yet talked to the "hooded figure".
    mQcTsfW.png

No idea why it's like that because the account doesn't even own Morrowind!

Maybe it's because the character has been sat there pre-Morrowind and it broke something. :D

Edit:
    I went back to the start, and Lyris appeared out of nowhere!

She started talking to the empty prison and decided she didn't like the prison door:
    51YuSxs.png

Apparently, I failed something, too.
    Edited by Valve on October 17, 2017 10:20AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyerx4
    Flawless Conqueror all Classes
    3rd Anniversary!
    Guar Squad
  • AprilMoon
    AprilMoon
    I know, it's a prison, but my character is SUPPOSED to be able to escape.

I've arrived there, but now I'm in the main yard area, I can't proceed through the quests to escape. The reason, presumably, is because I HAVE no such quests. Lyris is nowhere to be seen, the Watchers are not there, the Prophet's cell is not burning, there is no Cadwell... All I can do is run around, pointlessly killing dremora. There is no way out, no way back. I can't wayshrine out, not even to visit a house.

I've filed a ticket, but the only response has been the canned response that didn't in any way address (or even refer) to my ticket. So, I'm left to wonder if there's something I can do.

Is it possible to SHARE the quests in the Wailing Prison? If so, perhaps that would allow me to jumpstart the questline and get on with it.

The alternative would be to delete the character and start over (which I resist, after playing him for months, and writing his daily journal after each adventure). In that event, I must wonder if it would be possible to start the character in the Wailing Prison as was usually done. Having Morrowind, I was forced to start in Firemoth. I wondered if it was possible to disable Morrowind, or otherwise start in the Wailing Prison?

Any thoughts?

I had an issue similar and had it solved with in 5 hours. I got an automated response went to the ticket replied to it and they replied back within a few hours. Interesting idea for the daily journal after each adventure thing... I might actually do that. I like that idea.
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not supposed to escape. This will be the place where you spend your last days. Muhahahaha
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you go up close to that gate where Molag Bal shouts "Fool!" at you? (He then says something about not being allowed to escape.) After that, you're supposed to talk to Lyris behind you, and then she says you should speak to Cadwell.
    If you did and still can't escape, or that's not triggering for you, then it must be a glitch. Argh, sorry, that sucks.
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you skip a step? I mean, is Lyris behind you somewhere waiting to finish a conversation, that kind of thing?

That's my only idea (I accidentally skip ahead in quests sometimes and get them messed up). Otherwise you're at the mercy of the ticket system. Every second response seems to be a human, but whether that human will know anything useful is always a dice roll.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The characters before Morrowind are stuck in an outdated version of wailing prison. It's happened to a lot of people.

You need them to port your character out. So start the process that we call customer service with bots till a human comes.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just easier to create a new character since you're still at the start.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is well, they beamed me out to Auridon, where I reaquired the quest.
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is well, they beamed me out to Auridon, where I reaquired the quest.

Woot!
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat of a necro but i'm having the same problem with a character, stuck in the main area in the Wailing Prison with:

- No quest at all
    - No Watchers to sneak kill
    - No Lyris
    - No Cadwell

Effectively, my character is stuck there. I can't open the door to the next area, i can't go back to the previous area and i can't teleport out of there.
    sad.gif
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :joy:
    Your topic made me laugh.
    Pc na
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried using Get Me Unstuck?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried using Get Me Unstuck?

That just teleports me back to the main door in the area ...
    dry.gif
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Somewhat of a necro but i'm having the same problem with a character, stuck in the main area in the Wailing Prison with:

- No quest at all
    - No Watchers to sneak kill
    - No Lyris
    - No Cadwell

Effectively, my character is stuck there. I can't open the door to the next area, i can't go back to the previous area and i can't teleport out of there.
    sad.gif

Just wanted to update this with a resolution. After a bit of a go around with the automated customer service email system i finally got a real cs person to move my character out of the wailing prison.

Thank you Madison!
    pray.gif
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is why you shouldn't be in prison. Molag Bal will keep you wailing in his prison.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on March 9, 2018 3:21AM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel