The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

LA/HA damage

scipionumatia
scipionumatia
✭✭✭✭
Is this based off max resource or is this based off weapon/spell damage depending on weapon? What I mean is if I got 64 into mag and equip a sword n board will my heavy attack hit just as hard as if I would have an inferno staff equipt? (For this example no points are put into any passives.)
Scipio Numantia Red guard Nightblade PvP- AD
Scipio Asiaticus Khajiit Nightblade (CRAFTER/DPS) PvE- EP
Altmer Nightblade PvP- EP
Fueoculto Breton Templar (DPS) PvE- EP
Rasoculto Orc Dragon Knight PvP- EP
Caethus Argonian Templar (HEAL) PvE- EP
Vale Oso Nord Sorc (DPS) PvE- AD
Sir-Galahad-the-pure Altmer Sorc (DPS) PvE- EP
Scipionumantine Imperial Templar PvP- EP
Un-bearable Imperial Warden PVP- EP
Vale Bear Altmer Warden PvP- EP
Baits-All-Zergs Argonian Dragon knight PVP- DC
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both, but much more by weapon/spell damage than resources (40:1 not 10:1 like on normal skills)

Also, except destro and resto, all weapons use stamina/weapon damage. So that is a no for your second question.
    Edited by SodanTok on October 16, 2017 12:19PM
    Options
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @SodanTok I guess magDK isn't really designed for sword and board but is forced into it because sustain issues huh?
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a MagDK tank with S&B/destro staff. The S&B heavy attack hits like wet noodles but restores stamina, which is nice if I need a little back in a block heavy fight and my ultimate isn't ready yet. The destro heavy attack hits harder and restores magicka, but I don't use it very often. The lack of DPS from the S&B heavy attack doesn't really bother me because I'm a tank. Slow but steady DPS is what I do.
    Options
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SodanTok I guess magDK isn't really designed for sword and board but is forced into it because sustain issues huh?

It is more like, magDK is not designed to use sword and board as DPS tool, because thats the only thing where la/heavy matter (and partly sustain with heavy resources).
    Options
  • scipionumatia
    scipionumatia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @VaranisArano
    Mage DK is what I'm learning to play now, its the only spec I haven't played yet but I main stam dk in pvp so I'm familiar with the class. A few things I'm trying to figure out how to overcome:

Ultimate regeneration, DK gets its sustain from dropping ultimates. on Stam I have the option of werewolf hide and heroic slash. Mage DK gets no inherent ultimate gen unless you run shalks or (up til next patch tavas)

burst damage- mage dk has a lot of dots, which in PVP I have stayed away from and opted for direct damage on every spec except for magplar/stamplar. I know "inhale" is supposed to work as a timed burst (not unsimilar to warden shalks if I'm correct?)

Heavy armor or light? I don't like shield stacking in PVP, I also don't like running away. a mage DK I was playing battlegrounds with was running light impregnable, not shield stacking and was surviving pretty damn well. i guess this will be determined by what wrath passive is replaced with though?

No gap closer

No snare removal

No execute

Forced into vampire for regen

Pros of mage DK-
    great healing, allows you to restore health by attacking

Nearly all your damage is fire based which melts vampires

you get to play DK

Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it depends on how you want to play magDKs, but I'm guessing from this that you are doing PVP? Even there, there's a huge difference in build from solo play to running in a organized 24-man raid.

My magDK is a PVE tank and PVP healer in an organized raid. I guess I just like the support roles.

When I want to play my MagDK healer more aggressively in a small group, I use Take Flight or Meteor. Both Ultimates set up a situation where my group mates can take advantage to do their own damage. I use the destro staff flame reach for a good ranged attack that does something similar.

Gap Closer - there's a charge in the S&B line, and DK Chains. Chains don't always work to pull the enemy to you, but when they do, its amazing to yoink back that guy who thought he was getting away.

Snare Removal: The flaw of all magicka classes without a lot of stamina to break free, etc.

So when I play in a small group, I still heal but I become more of a disrupter than I normally am.

If you want to do different types of play, I encourage you to look at or ask successful MagDKs at your types of play for how they do it. I can advise you about my experience, but like I said, I'm a PVE tank and a PVP healer which sounds different than what you want to be doing.

Options