The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Light Armor Magicka templar PvP Build "Plagueplar"

Siliziumdioxid
Siliziumdioxid
✭✭✭
Light Armor Magicka templar PvP Build "Plagueplar"

Welcome to the first build of mine that i publish at all. This Build is meant as a Damage dealer it has high AoE Damage decent single target and decent self healing. It has good mobility and sufficient sustain for what it is meant for. The high Health value makes us relatively hard to kill and gives us and our healers more time to heal up again.
This Build is best suited for a „small“ group of 24 people however it is quite bad in smallscale pvp or dueling except your opponent has no plan what he is doing.
UESP Link
Attributes:
All into Magicka
Race:Argonian
Generally everything that has a bonus to max health Max Magicka damage done with Magical stuff further mitigation or healing received is beneficial for this build. Resource management passives are or more stamina are nice to have but not really needed. So Breton, Altmer, Dunmer, Imperial, Nord are good choices but i think Argonian is best.
Mundus: the Mage (Apprentice is also a good choice)
Food: Max Health+ Max magicka Blue food
Potions:
depends on the situation:
Most of the time i say normal Magicka trash pots. if you don't have any dragonknights in your groups (which should not happen if the group is organized) you can run Spellpower pots. Immovable Pots that restore Magicka are good in the heat of combat too.Vitality pot's in oh crap situations are considerable too
Vampire?: Nope
You can do that it has benefits and drawbacks. Generally i think that the fire version of Eye of the Storm and Dawnbreaker are two of the biggest threats to our existence so vampire has some certain weakness to it. On the other hand having mistform can help mitigate serious incoming damage. I don't know what is best. I go without it.
Gear:
Hk1bJoC.png

Regarding Monsterset: I consider Grothdarr or Infernal Guardian the top choices, Infernal Guardian is better than grothdarr if you can proc it often enough. One disadvantage of this setup is that vicious death is only active on one bar so dropping the 2pc monsterset instead is a viable option too. however when i do that i prefer a Lightning staff on my front bar.

Other good 5 piece sets: You can run Julianos, Spinner's, War Maiden all of those are good options
You can unslot Plaguedoctor if you feel like youre in absolute safety and want even more damage (like on a keep wall: without a breach of course). Or you can unslot Vicious Death if you want to be more single Target focused instead.
I personally have a great preference for Lightningstaff instead of swords but however this setup is with swords.
We use a Firestaff because most people in pvp are Vampires ... so we deal significantly more damage with the fire version
Which weapon enchants: On the off bar I say Weapondamage preferably on an infused staff. Other considerable Glyphs are the prismatic glyph or the shock glyph the rest is kind of boring. For every thing else: poisons are more effective in my opinion. Debuffs like cost increase, snare, or healing and damage debuffs or minor vulnerability are considerably stronger than a small trickle of damage provided by an enchant.
And Sustain?:
You don't need it! You are in a group and you are out of Magicka: so what you're not dead you can do heavy attacks to get your resources back full and there is no need for you to push into the midst of battle while you're out of Magicka no one is forcing you. Same for Stamina: you have healers that can heal you if you can't break free (and 40k Health of course) so screw it.
Skills:
Thats not the relevant part by the way: i rarely have a fixed bar setup...
Defensive skills:
Honor the Dead: (for self healing; the other morph is a bit to expensive) if you see someone low use it!
Harness Magicka: a really cost efficient self defense option on top of your 40k health.
Cleansing Ritual: I don't found that skill that useful in group situations... efficient purge i probably better cause it affects the whole group... and i get often enough purged by others... so
Practiced Incarnation/Rememberance: can greatly contribute to the healing and help your group survice through really high incoming damage, very strong ultimate. By the way you can use Replenishing Barrier and short after this ultimate.
Offensive skills:
Ultis:
Eye of the storm: Rejoice ! every time they Nerf it. Because a group can still stack multiple destros for insane damage while the effectiveness of fewer destro ultis against a group is diminished. Keep in Mind that the destro Ulti always applies the associated status effect with each tick on every enemy.
Meteor: Multiple well timed Meteors are probably more effective than a destro ultis especially in small places. It's AoE it has a stun it is great.

Blockade of Storms/Fire: i thought that people simply walk out of it... they do not... atleast not if there are so many ground effects that people simply don't mind your blockade. It is one of the strongest Dot's in the whole game. It is unblockable, you can use it to blockade breaches in a keep or other narrowings. And the shock version can set concussed people off balance this is a huge debuff or the frost version can immobilize!!
Blazing Spear: the same basically like Blockade, it is ranged a Dot, unblockable deals high damage.
Magicka Deto: Both morphs work well. However Proximity Detonation seems Meta. one of the strongest AOE ticks in the game... make sure to coordinate the explosions with your teammates.
Inner Light: gives us more Damage and hey we have enough bar space.
Reflective Light: Nasty Dot with a snare that hits multiple people... exactly what we need, especially when against singular people keep this Dot up.
Explosive charge over Toppling: felt like i don't really needed the stun so AoE Damage is nice.
Puncturing Sweeps: it deals AoE damage heals us ... it is a good spammable

More single target focused options:
Purifying Light: Make sure to enlighten as many people as possible with it. Because it really creates a problem for them. However has no AoE
Radiant Destruction: Obviously our execute. no AoE too
Darkflare: Very high burst combos possible but however only singletarget (like: Darkflare-> Javelin -> Execute or Flare-> Soulstrike or Flare -> fully charged flame heavy-> javelin or Darkflare-> Purifying as an opener)
Unstable Core: niche application: allows for very high burst combos (like: UC -> Dark Flare -> Javelin -> execute) beside that useless. Will deal considerable AoE damage next patch but steals cc opportunity

General Bombing Combo: Magicka Deto-> Blockade -> Spear Destro Ulti-> Reflective Light -> Charge -> Sweeps ... (Keep DoTs up or start focusing singular targets; you can shield up in this combo for more protection)

CP:
Red: Nothing special here, use your usual pvp Setup
Blue: 75 Thaumaturge 44 Elfborn 43 Elemental Expert 16 Master at Arms 42 Spell Erosion
(Probably not optimal but it works, probably a bit more into Master at Arms due to deto and vicious)
Green: 64 Arcanist 52 Tenacity 54 Siphoner 40 Warlord
You obviously should put points into befoul if you're using darkflare.
Things to mention: This Build is not templar specific at all. It is a templar build because that is the class that i have played the most so far. So please do not consider this as a critique on templar specifically this build works on every class if you adjust it properly. Consider this build feedback on what i found delving into pvp. It is an omnium-gatherum of what I encountered in pvp, what two organized pvp groups considered a good combination of sets and what I tried myself and considered good. It is no playstyle that I enjoy so please don't feel encouraged to play this build however feel free to test it. see how it performs. Now i consider this setup pretty common however similar build videos and written guides don't seem to be very common… so let me know to what extend you would consider a build like this “Meta” and/or “abusive”. Buff smallscale pvp!!
Sorry for my english.

Guild: Ancaria
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting look at a tanky DPS in an organized raid of 24 people. I've seen similar builds in enemy groups. With a lot of people running this type of build, it takes a long time for another organized raid to take apart but it can definitely be done. I'm going to talk about this build in terms of its place in raids, and particular that way it occurs often in raids.

Is it "meta"? Sure. Who doesn't like a tanky healer who can also do damage? Heck, I suit up in Plague Doctor when I take my MagDK healer into small group (Small group as in 2-10 players). Its a really nice boost to her tankiness, but she's by no means unkillable.

Is it "abusive"? The gear is not abusive on its own as you are using it in your group. Its clearly being used as designed. Now, if your entire raid is in this sort of gear, I'm going to be questioning how farm you need to be carried by your healers and your gear...but you know, PVP is all about finding builds that can work for you and that make the enemy work hard. I've faced groups built like this with my organized raid and the fights are always long and drawn out. Sometimes we don't have enough DPS and die. Other times we successfully pick the group apart and kill them slowly. A group with this type of build is not unkillable by skilled opponents with sufficient DPS.

Can this sort of group build become abusive? Sure, in the same way that any organized raid can become abusive. Organized raids should focus on objectives suited to organized raids. A small group of enemies won't have a good chance against a raid of these builds, so the raid should focus on actual objectives, not trolling, yeah?

All raids have their own, unique style. An entire raid of these sorts of tanky DPS/healers is definitely a "thing" in PVP. At this point, I sort of eyeroll with a "oh, this, again" when we hit them in my raid and settle in for a long fight. But as long as that raid is pursuing their own objectives like a raid should, I don't have a problem with it. That's what raids are supposed to do and raids wear whatever gear helps with that. If they are farming my faction's small groups and pugs, I'm going to take a lot of pleasure in picking apart their raid and killing them, Plague Doctor or no.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, that last spoiler is really rather important considering that's where you tell us what feedback you want.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense for organised large groups.

I mean, if you're expecting to take a lot of hits from a lot of people, and receive a lot of heals from a lot of people, then you need a health bar that can absorb the damage, and also benefit from multiple heals without being 'overhealed'

And I guess from a damage perspective, the damage dealers in the group may lose out a bit - but I suspect that even with 'average' damage, there's an optimal number of EotS's to run concurrently to take out most 23k health targets.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.