The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I have 25 Emeralds - But can't research Training Trait -

Einherjir
Einherjir
Soul Shriven
Okay, i don't really know much about the ESO Crafting stuff, but i have 25 Emeralds, but i can't research the Training Trait.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You gain the ability to research a trait when you have an item of that trait in your inventory -- not the trait stones. So what you need to do is to find a weapon or armor piece out in the world (looted from enemies, as a quest reward, etc.) that has the Training trait.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Einherjir
    Einherjir
    Soul Shriven
    Oh okay, so i need an armor piece with Training?
  • Einherjir
    Einherjir
    Soul Shriven
    Wait... Does the item with the training trait need to be the same level as me?
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Einherjir wrote: »

So traits are unlocked for one specific piece at a time. For instance, if you research Training on heavy armor chests, that only unlocks the Training trait on heavy armor chests, not other chests or other types of heavy armor. So if you want to research the Training trait for a specific piece, you need to find a piece of that kind with the Training trait.

It can be any level (or style) whatsoever.
    Edited by casparian on October 14, 2017 11:51PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Einherjir
    Einherjir
    Soul Shriven
    casparian wrote: »

So traits are unlocked for one specific piece at a time. For instance, if you research Training on heavy armor chests, that only unlocks the Training trait on heavy armor chests, not other chests or other types of heavy armor. So if you want to research the Training trait for a specific piece, you need to find a piece of that kind with the Training trait.

It can be any level (or style) whatsoever.

Oh okay, well thank you!
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step One: Download Minion
    Step Two: Download the add-on called Research Grid. It'll put a red square next to any weapon/armor that has a trait on it that you haven't researched yet. Gray square means you've already researched it and it's safe to deconstruct/sell.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you need a weapon or the piece of armor in your inventory or bank that has the trait you want in order to research it.

Each type of armor requires you to research the trait. Researching "infused" or "training" or whatever on heavy chest/cuirass won't count for a robe or jack.

Each trait your research for the same piece of gear will take longer. By the 9th trait, its about a month, real time.

Getting the passives to allow you to research up to 3 items at a time isn't a bad idea. When all your research is done, you can respect and get the points back for that passive.
  • mrdiamond666
    mrdiamond666
    ✭✭✭
    Get a crafter to make you training gear for you to break down for research.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    Yes, you need a weapon or the piece of armor in your inventory or bank that has the trait you want in order to research it.

Each type of armor requires you to research the trait. Researching "infused" or "training" or whatever on heavy chest/cuirass won't count for a robe or jack.

Each trait your research for the same piece of gear will take longer. By the 9th trait, its about a month, real time.

Getting the passives to allow you to research up to 3 items at a time isn't a bad idea. When all your research is done, you can respect and get the points back for that passive.

9th trait is 2months. or 56 days something with eso+
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »

Naw, it's only like 26 days or so... Still a long time, though!

Really, the best piece of advice I have for you is to join a guild where you have access to master crafters. They will be able to make nernhoned weapon pieces for you to research nern (for my guild, I will ask that you provide the mats or the gold for me to buy the mat, but will not charge for actual crafting. This depends on the person, though, but most crafters are pretty easy going with fellow guild members). These you want to get first because it will be learned quick, then you can make nern items to sell in the guild store to sell and make some gold.

Edited by Lumsdenml on October 16, 2017 10:54PM
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

Really, the best piece of advice I have for you is to join a guild where you have access to master crafters. They will be able to make nernhoned weapon pieces for you to research nern (for my guild, I will ask that you provide the mats or the gold for me to buy the mat, but will not charge for actual crafting. This depends on the person, though, but most crafters are pretty easy going with fellow guild members). These you want to get first because it will be learned quick, then you can make nern items to sell in the guild store to sell and make some gold.

no. its not. you are thinking of the 8th trait, which with eso+ is 28 days.
    Edited by Slick_007 on October 17, 2017 12:57AM
  • DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭

It depends on what passives you have.
    Having 4/4 on Metallurgy (blacksmithing), Stitching (clothing), and Carpentry (woodworking) also "limits research time to 30 days". ESO's bonus 10% is added after, so it's 27 days for the 9th trait.
    Edited by DiteHart on October 17, 2017 3:03PM
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler
  • Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait... Does the item with the training trait need to be the same level as me?

No, the item that you use to research can be any level
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

27 days for 9th trait with ESO+
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Only if you have 4/4 skill points invested in the research line of that craft, otherwise it's closer to double that.

edit: Even 3/4 skill points invested leaves you with something like 46 days with ESO+
    Edited by Tevalaur on October 17, 2017 6:09PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Danksta wrote: »

Only if you have 4/4 skill points invested in the research line of that craft, otherwise it's closer to double that.

edit: Even 3/4 skill points invested leaves you with something like 46 days with ESO+

Thank (insert your preferred deity here) that my research days are over! Well, until they introduce a new trait.
  • DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭
    If people are wanting to know the time-per-trait w/o ESO plus or passives, there's a table here.

To reach 9 traits for everything as soon as you can, it's important to have at least 3/4 points in as early as possible (not so much for the time itself, but to be able to research multiple traits).

You'll want the 4th point added by the time you do your first 9-trait item.

Level 3 becomes available at level 28 in the craft, and level 4 becomes available at level 45.
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler