The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

What potions should I make?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I've only recently realized that crafted potions restore a LOT more than those that drop from mobs or whatever. The game is full of surprises I guess.
Alchemy is one of the things about the game I will never understand even if I dedicated lifetime to it. My brain just doesn't process all the combinations.
Can I get a list of most useful potions, or rather, most useful effects that can be combined in a single potion?
Anything useful for PvE purposes.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    I've only recently realized that crafted potions restore a LOT more than those that drop from mobs or whatever. The game is full of surprises I guess.
    Alchemy is one of the things about the game I will never understand even if I dedicated lifetime to it. My brain just doesn't process all the combinations.
    Can I get a list of most useful potions, or rather, most useful effects that can be combined in a single potion?
    Anything useful for PvE purposes.

I like this list, personally... easy to read...

http://tamrieljournal.com/list-of-useful-potions-and-alchemy-reagents-in-eso/

In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you on PC? I can recommend the addon "Potion Maker" by Facit&Kritt, it lists combinations and allows to search for desired effects.

For PvE, the most commonly pots are the tri-stat restoration potion (restores health, stam and magicka and increases recovery):
    Dragonthorn + Columbine + Bugloss
    Lady's Schmock + Columbine + Mountain Flower
    Bugloss + Columbine + Mountain Flower

Then for magicka DDs the Spell Power potion (increases spell damage, spell crit and restores magicka):
    Lady's Schmock + Corn Flower + Water Hyacinth

And for stamina DDs the Weapon Power potion (increases weapon damage, weapon crit and restores stamina):
    Wormwood + Dragonthorn + Blessed Thistle
    Dragonthorn + Water Hyacinth + Blessed Thistle
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favourite (Magsorc) is the Spell Crit as in the link above. Restores health, magicka and gives spell crit over a period of time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

Then for magicka DDs the Spell Power potion (increases spell damage, spell crit and restores magicka):
    Lady's Schmock + Corn Flower + Water Hyacinth

And for stamina DDs the Weapon Power potion (increases weapon damage, weapon crit and restores stamina):
    Wormwood + Dragonthorn + Blessed Thistle
    Dragonthorn + Water Hyacinth + Blessed Thistle

Just note, that these potion effects do not all stack with existing bonuses. So, check your stats after quaffing a potion to see if your getting the boosts you think you should. If not, it's probably because you have a buff already in place giving that bonus. Spell Power and Spell Critical are two that I know of. On the other hand, the potions can free you from having to gear those bonuses so you can gear in something else.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Nestor is right there.

There's numerous skills that give the same buff as those potions. E.g. slotting Inner Light from the Mages Guild skill line gives Major Prophecy (spell crit), slotting Expert Hunter from the Fighters Guild gives Major Savagery (weapon crit), casting Power Surge from Sorceror Storm Calling gives Major Sorcery (+20% spell damage), casting Igneous Weapons from DK gives Major Sorcery and Major Brutality (+20% spell and weapon dmg), etc.

There's also item sets that give you these buffs. E.g. Treasure Hunter from the dungeon Volenfell gives you Major Prophecy, Toothrow from Wayrest Sewers gives you Major Savagery. Whenever you read in the tooltip that a skill/pot/set/... gives you one of these buffs, you know that you only need one source for them.

You mostly use those two potions in end game content like vet dungeons / trials to free up a skill bar slot. They're rather expensive if you want to buy them or the ingredients, or you need to go farm the flowers. :)
    Edited by Loc2262 on October 12, 2017 8:34PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, a potion that gives invisibility and a speed boost is nice to use to get past Mobs you don't want to deal with.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's very true! Mazzatun comes to mind. :) Note that you mustn't sprint or attack while the potion is active, otherwise you'll become visible again immediately.
    Edited by Loc2262 on October 12, 2017 8:43PM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP