Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

New player asking for help with character creation/build

maJor.
maJor.
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone, just picked the game up for me and my bro. We've had it installed since yesterday but didn't want to start playing because we don't know which builds we should go with, we don't wanna end up having wasted potential in mid-late game. Please don't use any big MMO or ESO terms without explaining their meaning, I really only played RuneScape in terms of MMO.

Last I played was in 2014 in the closed beta and I remember and know absolutely nothing. Can someone please help me make a build for the idea of character I want to play as?

I want to have a tanky character that will drag in damage from other enemies and also be able to hit real hard with a 2-handed weapon, axe/hammer/greatsword. Probably be able to heal or something, too. I want to make him a werewolf later on and not a vampire, I just think the idea of a tanky dude going berserk as a werewolf is beautiful. I also want to use heavy armor on him.

My bro wants the strongest DPS there is, just straight up AOE-wreck everything, he isn't sure if he should go with Nightblade or Sorcerer. Also he'll probably be a vampire.

We will both focus only on PvE and dungeons, we'll probably duo or solo from time to time, but I want my tanky character to prove useful in party dungeons if we end up needing more players for some quests.

Can we please have some builds suggested for us? What skills to level up in the future as well?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First and foremost, nothing but Class choice is permanent in this game. You can always respec later, skills, attributes, champion points and gear just cost in game gold, race and name cost real world gold.

OK, the easiest first time character to take through the game is a High Elf Magic Templar (your main attack heals you and you have a spam heal to use too)

There are also two phases to this game, leveling, and end game. You level your character, then you make your build for end game. Leveling is forgiving in this game since it is scaled and the game buffs leveling characters. So, see the following post
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to remember, a lot of guides are written with idea to maximize production to the Nth Degree, which can make sense when your leveling your 8th character. But it can really suck the fun out of the game on your first character worrying about it.

Here is a better approach:

The beauty of the game now is each zone drops a Magic Set, a Stamina Set and a Health (Tanky) Set. You can do the content in the zone and get the gear you need with some nice bonuses to help your characters. It drops in at least Green and Blue is common once you get around the 30;s. A lot of times it drops in the Training trait, but you really don't need to have every single item in Training. Just prefer it as a trait, but wear what you get. When you are done in that zone move on to the next and start replacing the gear with the stuff from that zone. You can usually go about 10 levels over the gear before it starts to get noticeable as needing to be replaced. If you get something that is higher level than your wearing, just swap it out as you go along. Again, don't worry about the traits while leveling. The game is buffing you anyway.

As for leveling crafting, you should do that, but don't be in a hurry to invest all the skill points you need for it. You need those points for combat and defense. Just decon all the loot you have left over after selling to cover any repairs you do. Research Traits on items you think you are going to use. Then do the other traits later on.

Let me give you an example of what I did with my last two leveling characters.

1. I collected all the Skyshards in the zone. I avoided any and all quests other than those that show up in the delves that have skyshards. These quests do not give set items for rewards so no loss there.
    2. I would farm the dolmens a few times to get set jewelry that helped my character
    3. I would do the Public Dungeons including all the bosses
    4. Then I would move to the next zone.

In doing this, I could fully gear up my character with level appropriate stuff, and it was helpful gear. May not have been the best, but you don't need the best while leveling. Any gear I farmed from Dolmens or PD's is repeatable, so I can get it at CP160 by just repeating. Then, I had all the content quests left for me once I reached CP160 as those can give you sweet Set Drops in good traits you want. And, Quest Experience is huge for gaining CPs once your past CP160. Kind of a waste before that.

In about 8 zones, I would be fully leveled in Mages, Fighters, Class, 3 Armors and Weapon Skills. Leaving only Undaunted to level, although I would get to almost 3 in that from Dungeon Achievements.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

As for Gear, well, while leveling, gear does not matter as long as you have something. It does not have to be best in slot, or even all that good. Also, we have lots of dropped set pieces so if you spend any time in a zone, you will more than likely pick up a set or two to wear. Each zone has a Magic, a Stamina and a Health or Tank set. Since everything scales, you can use this gear longer than you would think from the levels. It is only once you reach CP160 that you really want to worry about the gear, and by then you will have a good idea of what to use and where to farm for it.

Until then, the most important thing with gear is to wear a mix of it (light/medium/heavy) so they all level up somewhat equally. Also, have one skill from each of the 3 class skill lines on your bar at all times, and at least one weapon skill. For the 5th, it can be another weapon or attack skill or a support skill or some skill you want to level.

• maJor.
    maJor.
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all those general tips, I'll make sure to go back to this thread and read back on everything from time to time.

As for my questions, what's the difference between a stamina/magic templar? Which is better and for what? Is the High Elf Magic Templar the best choice for what I've described that I want?

My main idea is to be support and a tank, while dealing real good damage, and have my bro spam powerful AOEs and be stealthy in general.

What about my bro's build? Should he go sorcerer or nightblade? Magic or stamina and what're the differences? Which race?

Also, can you just go thieving on any build/character you want? I'm just used to Skyrim where it makes the most sense to be a sneaky khajit/argonian/wood elf to be pickpocketing and lockpicking with. Are there any differences or obstacles in using 'non-stealthy' races or classes to steal with in order to make money?

Thank you very much.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class and Faction choice are permanent. Faction only matters in PVP in Imperial City and Cyrodiil though.

Stamina characters tend to use weapon skills like greatsword, one hand and shield, bow, and dual wield, because those skills use stamina. Magicka characters tend to use destruction and restoration staffs because those skills use magicka. But that's not a hard and fast rule, my Magicka Dragonknight tank uses one hand and shield and a destro staff.

Magicka Templars make for great healers, and with the right skills, good tanks and DPS as well. Stamina Templars make for great DPS, and with the right skills, good tanks. Heals are harden on a Stamina Templar because most, but not all, heals work off of magicka.

Your bro's build: Nightblades are more stealthy. Sorcerers have amazing AOEs. The magicka and stamina variants of each are very good but play differently from each other. Magicka Sorcerors tend to use destruction staff, pets, elemental damage and protective damage shields. Stamina Sorcerers tend to use a dual wield, bow, or greatsword with lots of AOE damage from Hurricane (Sorc Skill) and Endless Hail (Bow Skill). The Nightblades both tend to have good burst damage from their skills but are also glass cannons. Hit hard, but are pretty squishy.

Thieving: All races are equal except for Khajiit who get an extra 5% pickpocketing chance. So if my maxed out Breton thief has a 90% chance to pickpocketing an NPC, the Khajiit will have a 95% chance.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attributes are either Stamina or Magic. Your all in on one or the other. While Stamina can have the highest DPS, Magic Characters can get to 98% of that DPS. To me a magic character is easier to play and keep in resources as Stamina is used to sprint around in this game,and roll dodge, and block. So your using up that pool moving around and blocking attacks. Also, the balance pendulum is swinging towards magic right now.

But, remember, you can spend some game gold and change from Stamina to Magic and back to Stamina again anytime you want. Nothing is permanent but Class Choice.

Also, outside of Top Leaderboard Trials times and some Vet Dungeons, any thing can be made to work in this game.

If your a Tank, your not dealing damage, your absorbing it. Dragon Knights make the best Tanks, and Imperial is probably the best race for that. My Tank will never die, has 54,000 Health, 17,000 Magic and Stamina and can aggro and hold any boss in the game, and support the group, and debuff the boss, but only does 2,000 to 4,000 DPS. As opposed to my Mag Sorcerer which I can get up to 50,000 DPS with a lazy rotation but can be one/two shotted by most bosses in the game if I am not paying attention.

For a Sorcerer, either a Breton or a High Elf. But, my Orc Sorcerer does just fine in this game too. Again, you can make anything work.

I would not roll a stamina based character out of the gate, learn the game on Magic, then go Stamina if you think that is what you want.

You can thieve on anything, my Breton Mag Sorcerer is my most accomplished thief. But, Medium Armor can help you get the trickiest things in the game, so some people swap armor for thief runs. Again, you can make anything work.