The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Raw Ancestor Silk sales plummeting!

krachall
krachall
✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know why I am seeing a massive drop in sales of Raw Ancestor Silk?

Selling raw mats is my main source of income. I travel for work every week and about the only thing I can do on my laptop is farm raw mats, craft, and fish. So I farm mats. For at least the last 2 months, I've posted 5-10 stacks of raw wood, ore, and cloth on my two trade guild vendors. I post right at MM price. Nothing lasts longer than 12 hours before it sells. Most sell within 2 hours.

Ore and Wood are still that way. But a week ago, Raw Ancestor Silk just stopped selling. I have 8 stacks posted on the same two vendors in the same locations that have been there for 4 days. Four days!

The only thing I can figure is that bots are farming silk. I was n Bal Foyen farming raws and saw a character positioned over a silk node that would immediately loot it as soon as the node appeared. He was there for around 48 hours. Could people be botting silk and driving the price down?

Is it something else? Is there a game change that abruptly lowered the demand for silk?
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    Anyone know why I am seeing a massive drop in sales of Raw Ancestor Silk?

Selling raw mats is my main source of income. I travel for work every week and about the only thing I can do on my laptop is farm raw mats, craft, and fish. So I farm mats. For at least the last 2 months, I've posted 5-10 stacks of raw wood, ore, and cloth on my two trade guild vendors. I post right at MM price. Nothing lasts longer than 12 hours before it sells. Most sell within 2 hours.

Ore and Wood are still that way. But a week ago, Raw Ancestor Silk just stopped selling. I have 8 stacks posted on the same two vendors in the same locations that have been there for 4 days. Four days!

The only thing I can figure is that bots are farming silk. I was n Bal Foyen farming raws and saw a character positioned over a silk node that would immediately loot it as soon as the node appeared. He was there for around 48 hours. Could people be botting silk and driving the price down?

Is it something else? Is there a game change that abruptly lowered the demand for silk?

Undercutters, maybe?

I sell on console so no add ons, but every time something stops selling completely all of a sudden and get stuck for days, I know some new undercutter joined the guild.

Silk is still the most sought after mat because of Daily Writs and crafted light sets being very good this patch.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crafters like me that want your mats have tons of these darn surveys we loathe doing, since it’s easier to buy. Prices got too high, so now we work on surveys.
  • supaskrub
    supaskrub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it may go back up when the CWC crafting stations arrive (not seen what light armour set is actually, so hoping its a good one
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, there's botting for resources in ESO that ZOS doesn't seem to notice. But that's not the only reason silk prices have gone down. One reason is that silk is relatively easy to get. Secondly, the current meta in PvP is heavy armor builds with very few light armor builds. So rubedite ore and it's alloy mats are selling for a lot right now. This will hopefully change after the next update when medium and light armor builds become more viable. As far as PvE goes, not a lot has changed, people may try new armor sets here and there, but once you have your set up finished, you're good to go. So armor mats don't get used up by PvE'er like PvPers do.
    Resource sales run in cycles. When a new dlc drops, sales will go up because people are trying out the new armor sets, playing the new dlc and less people are farming mats. A few weeks before the new dlc comes out, sales are low because no one wants to waste mats on "old" armor sets, and are waiting on the new sets. People also are looking for bargains right now, so they wait.
    (note, I never sell mats a few weeks before the new dlc, I wait to sell 'em until the dlc drops so I can get higher prices.)
    Edited by starlizard70ub17_ESO on October 10, 2017 3:37PM
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Carokube
    Carokube
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you are on PC/NA, but the current MM price of raws for silk is too high because the price of dreugh wax keeps going down. I buy raws because I want to refine them and sell the dreugh wax and other upgrade materials for a profit. If I just wanted ancestor silk to craft it, I would buy it straight out. No one's going to by the raw ancestor silk at ~60g a piece (which is my current MM), because you can't make a profit refining it. Rawhide scraps are currently priced much better for that.

*If* bots are responsible at all for your raw ancestor silk not selling, it's because they are providing rawhide scraps, not because they are farming raw ancestor silk. Not that I'm saying they are.
    Trade Guilds | Shatner's Trade Dominion | Blackbriar Barter Co | Black Dragon Apothecary | The Ska'vyn Bazaar
    PVE Guilds | The Shogunate
    The CaroCrew | Jesulon (DC) | Jilandara (DC) | Juniper Wind (AD) | Jostine (AD) | Jura (EP) | Jtala (EP) | Jysha (EP)
    CP600!!+ (and still not a vMA clear) | NA | PC
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol boters I just sold several stacks and you know what I didn't charge the highest amount. I check see how much a stack of 200 or 100 goes for and adjust my prices to sell under 1000 to 2000 gold so that mine will sell I still make a nice profit. Only thing I have left that hasn't sold is 200 mats of raw jute.

Stop blaming bots and blame yourself for being greedy!
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bots
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rynth wrote: »

Stop blaming bots and blame yourself for being greedy!

Basic economic lesson: The "right price" is the price the market will bear. Period. Prior to last week, that price was 66g each. Call it greed if you want to be ignorant but that's how economics work; in real life or in video games. If the market suddenly only bears a much lower price, it's usually because something happened to dramatically shift the supply or demand curve. I was questioning what that something may be.

You're welcome :)
  • CardboardedBox
    CardboardedBox
    ✭✭✭✭
    On ps4 I haven't looked to buy any in a while, because the last time I did, I pretty much went, "lol no.", because the prices were so high.

I don't know if they're still so high priced in all the platforms or not, but if they are, that could be the problem.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like it was a market correction. :)

Did some checking on other vendors and dropped my price to 60g. All stacks sold in a couple hours.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't say whether there are fewer ancestor silk nodes in the world, compared to wood or ore nodes, but I can see that I have ~5,000 pieces of raw rubedite ore, ~2,000 of wood and ~150 of raw silk in my craft bag.
    I'm not making any attempt to go find one over the other, I harvest everything I see, none of my characters uses cloth and I don't make gear for anyone.

And being that I received exactly zero master clothing writs since I started tallying these things at end of August, I've just stopped doing clothing writs altogether.

I can roam around for an hour and not see any ancestor silk plants in that time.
    deduction is, either fewer ancestor silk are spawning, or someone is farming the [snip] out of them.

[Edited to remove profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on October 12, 2017 2:48PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On EU PC rubedo leather, ruby ash wood and rubedite are 10-13 gold per unit while ancestor silk is 35-40 gold, 3-4x what the other cost. I'm talking about refined. I've done the maths using observed green/blue/purple/yellow temper drop rates and you barely break even if you buy unrefined and refine yourself, so I only rarely buy refined to make up for shortfalls when crafting daily writs since some months my surveys are a little skewed. But I am generally self reliant on base mats from those, hirelings and what I pick up along the road and have a healthy surplus when it comes to tempers. As far as I'm concerned. I haven't noticed any spectacular drop in prices lately. If I see something not selling at MM price within 10 days or so I check the trend and cut 10% of the price. I usually sell at -5-10% MM price at first listing because I need to keep my inventory clean. I mostly sell surplus items that are relatively cheap and only rarely sell materials such as tempers besides yellow and low-mid level base ones from daily writs if I have free slots.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s one of the quietest times during the year for the game...sales always slow in sept/early October, but should pick up with the dlc and through the holidays. That’s the first reason...all of my sales are slow, not just mats, which drives prices down.

I’d also wonder if the master writ game is aging out. There are quite a few posts where people say they’ve got all they want from the master writ vendor and have stopped doing them. Before the master writs refined silk was about $8k/200 on my server, the writs blew this up to over $15k (I think...I bought 40,000 at the old price) then now it’s down to $13k (the 40k have been used, lol). Anyway, a lot of the price is the crafting writs, so people stopping these would push prices down.