Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Would you like a Purge/Cleanse ingredient added to potion crafting?

Savos_Saren
Savos_Saren
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Edited by Savos_Saren on October 9, 2017 7:58PM
Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
Savos Saren

Would you like a Purge/Cleanse ingredient added to potion crafting? 40 votes

Yes. It's about time.
75%
IcyDeadPeopleGilvothDeadlyRecluseArobainSodanTokPurpleDranktechnohicKanarTarukmocktoNeartheralReverbTankHealz2015cmetzger93cjhhickman39NBrookusshadowwraith666Dawn_Treader_IQbikenTasearFoolishHuman 30 votes
No. I don't think that would work.
20%
PlagueSDTandorTaleof2CitiesMureelFroilSlick_007EvilAutoTechRaudgrani 8 votes
Maybe. Here's my suggestion:
5%
Easily_LostVaranisArano 2 votes
  • vpy
    vpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's about time.
    100%

Can’t even believe that they don’t even have one right now
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a poll disguised as another heavy armor wearers losing shuffle complaint thread?

Either way, how do you propose it to work, @jaburns ?

A one-time removal of negative effects (upon potion activation) wouldn't be worth it.

A removal of negative effects per tick of the potion would be OP.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purge/Cleanse is most important in PVP so its worth looking at where purge/cleanse is most used. Most PVE negative effects that are serious enough to need purging are encountered in content where all players have a healer or in the case of VMA, a mechanic that is used to cleanse the DOT.

Purge/Cleanse is used to remove negative effects from players like status effects from skills or gear procs, player-made poisons, and DOT effects from siege weapons. Its a one-shot skill that removes 2 negative effects, reduces duration of remaining effects, and possibly heals depending on the morph. There are other skills and gear in game that can remove negative effects, but Purge is available to all players with the magicka to use it.

1. Purge on a potion would introduce more counterplay into duels or small group PVP, at least for a little bit. This Purge potion would let a player being attacked stem the tide of damage due to negative effects. However, this effect would soon vanish because of the potion cooldown and it offers no protection against getting one-shot or quickly killed. In other words, you get one "free" purge and then you'd better kill the attacking player fast before they reapply the negative status effects. This could be beneficial in terms of counterplay, but does have the effect of nerfing player skills that create negative status effects.

2. Player-made poisons. Again, this is most useful in small group or solo PVP where there may not be a player running Purge or another method of removing negative status effects. However, it only buys the player using the potions a small window in which to kill the opposing player before the poison cooldown is up. This might encourage counterplay, but it would be a nerf to poisons. Purge potions would not really be useful in large group PVP because of the long potion cooldown with a far higher chance of negative effects being reapplied by other players. I'd rather use a Immovability/Health/Mag or Stam Attribute.

3. Siege effects. Purge is absolutely necessary for groups that siege keeps because oils, fire, and coldfire siege have devastating DOTs that Purge can remove from players. Healers will spam Purge when seiging groups are under heavy counter siege. A potion with purge would be absolutely useless in this situation because of the potion cooldown. By the time you'd purged a fire effect from oils, the next oil is pouring down if the defenders know what they are doing.

So, I think that ZOS and playtesters would really have to work how to balance the effects of the new potion in small scale PVP. I don't think a purge effect on a potion would make a difference or even be useful in large scale PVP.
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vpy wrote: »
    100%

Can’t even believe that they don’t even have one right now

Right? I was looking for sources of purge/cleanse the other day and there's only Purge (the PVP skill), Cleansing Ritual (Templar), and Blue Betty (Warden)...

Cleansing negative effects seems like it would fall right into the realm of potion-making. :/
    Want to enjoy the game more? Try both PvP (crybabies) and PvE (carebears). You'll get a better perspective on everyone's opinion.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's about time.
    I think having a purge available to all classes on a 45 second cooldown is absolutely fine. Especially if they limited the effects it's paired with (I'd say no Vitality and no Immovable, for starters).
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Savos_Saren
    Savos_Saren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a poll disguised as another heavy armor wearers losing shuffle complaint thread?

A one-time removal of negative effects (upon potion activation) wouldn't be worth it.

Nope. It's not a heavy armor complaint at all. (I actually wear light armor on my mDK) ;)

I think the one-time cleanse of negative effects upon activation is exactly the way to go with it. It would obviously have other traits that you could mix into the potion with other ingredients (ie: health, magic, magic regen, etc). It wouldn't be OP because you still have to wait for the potion timer to build back up before you can use it again.

It basically follows the same rules as all the other buffs you get from potions.

PC NA AD
    Savos Saren
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaburns wrote: »
    Right? I was looking for sources of purge/cleanse the other day and there's only Purge (the PVP skill), Cleansing Ritual (Templar), and Blue Betty (Warden)...

Cleansing negative effects seems like it would fall right into the realm of potion-making. :/

For gear, there's Stendarr's Embrace, a 50% chance to remove up to 5 negative effects from players healed on a 30 sec per target cooldown: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Stendarr's_Embrace

Its still solidly a healer set though, and source of Purge as you listed are clearly heavily slanted towards healers. A purge potion would give a one-shot purge on a cooldown to any player, which could be beneficial towards counterplay in PVP. The balance issues with poisons, small group and solo play would need to be considered by the developers.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's about time.

For gear, there's Stendarr's Embrace, a 50% chance to remove up to 5 negative effects from players healed on a 30 sec per target cooldown: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Stendarr's_Embrace

Its still solidly a healer set though, and source of Purge as you listed are clearly heavily slanted towards healers. A purge potion would give a one-shot purge on a cooldown to any player, which could be beneficial towards counterplay in PVP. The balance issues with poisons, small group and solo play would need to be considered by the developers.

There's also Wyrd Tree, which it better for non-healers. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Wyrd_Tree's_Blessing

But yes, alchemy absolutely needs a way to purge something like 5 negative effects. The 45 second cooldown would be even less than either Wyrd Tree or Stendarr's, but wouldn't require a 5 piece set.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that run-around-trees templars can run around trees literally forever? No thank you.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. It's not a heavy armor complaint at all. (I actually wear light armor on my mDK) ;)

I think the one-time cleanse of negative effects upon activation is exactly the way to go with it. It would obviously have other traits that you could mix into the potion with other ingredients (ie: health, magic, magic regen, etc). It wouldn't be OP because you still have to wait for the potion timer to build back up before you can use it again.

It basically follows the same rules as all the other buffs you get from potions.

I don't have any issues with the OP's proposal above ... given the cooldown on potions.

It would add some variety in creating new potions.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's about time.
    oh hek YEAH! that would be Awesome!
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the threads to necro after a month, I didn't expect this to be the one.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Let's make healers even more pointless! I still maintain Vigor should be removed.

That'll put marzipan in your pieplate, bingo.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Let's make healers even more pointless! I still maintain Vigor should be removed.

That'll put marzipan in your pieplate, bingo.

Vigor is pretty important in PVP where stamina players shouldn't be forced to run with a healer in order to heal. That's the reason Vigor is in the PVP skill line. Now in PVE, a good healer makes Vigor pretty pointless.