The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 1005

Hopeless16
So after a week away, I come back to find that I cannot login due to getting the Error 1005 Access Denied issue. As it was working fine before i left & I uploaded the latest patch on my return and then I got these errors, I can only assume that once again the patch is causing the issue (doesn't pretty much every patch?). I run the launcher as Admin & have attempted a repair several times. Any other ideas please?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As you've already tried running the game as an administrator and running a repair, the next thing you can check for this error is your anti-virus settings.

Each antivirus program is different and we recommend that you view the antivirus developer's website for full instructions on how to add exceptions.

The application files that may require exceptions are:
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • gilgalahad1313
    I've just come back after a long absence and have been running the game issue free for a few weeks now until the recent patches where I've run into the op's issues. I've done all the same steps myself as well as checking my anti-virus and it tells me i already have permissions for those files so I'm even more confused than the op and still looking for resolution. I ended up having to restart my system 3 times a few days ago when the new patch came out and it eventually fixed it.....I hope.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @gilgalahad1313

If you've already made sure to run the game/launcher as an admin and have added exceptions in your anti-virus, there is one more troubleshooting step that may help with Error 1005.
    1. On your launcher, please select the Game Options section (under the news header)
    2. Please select Settings in the drop down menu and ensure that Auto Update is set to Never
    3. Close and open your Launcher, click on Game Options again and click Update

If you still get the error after this, you should next contact customer support to help investigate this further.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • CeissaDesiste
    CeissaDesiste
    Soul Shriven
    Fixed it myself by researching all the forums and posts about ESO. Hope you guys fix this issue in the future so I don't have to deal with it again the next update. Especially since I paid for 6 mos worth of Plus so I can play with my friends on PC over my PS4 acct.
    Edited by CeissaDesiste on October 27, 2017 3:00AM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to add some very important information

DO NOT change ownership of the Program Files Folder or the Program Files(x86) folders. Those are folders are "intended" to be owned by "TrustedInstaller". The Windows Store directory is located in there, and changing those permissions will not only break the Windows Store and its updating, but it will also break Windows Update because the two are tied together.

A regular user is not supposed to be able to write to Program Files Directory or the Program Files(x86) directory. When they instituted User Account Control, it was assumed the user would not have rights to write to those directory, so Microsoft Virtualized all Registry and file writes to the users own directory.

Enable Viewing of Hidden files in Windows Explorer and paste that file path in and see what I mean.

C:\Users\Account Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)

If you change that directory ownership it will break Windows Update and The Windows Store at some point, you will get strange error messages with no way to figure out whats causing it.

If you changed ownership on those directories, I would suggest you change them back to being owned by TrustedInstaller.

I wanted this documented for future help issues.

take care

Rinaldo
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been having the same since the patch last week. It makes no sense really, considering it's always worked fine before.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    I have been having the same since the patch last week. It makes no sense really, considering it's always worked fine before.

Ive been having this issue since morrowind. Glad others are having it now so they see its a REAL issue. However I was just told by CS via email we are SOL and they are unwilling to investigate this issue or really help at all.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • ChandraNalaar
    ChandraNalaar
    ✭✭✭
    It happened to me this morning, and I still can't fix it.
  • rainfeatherpearl
    rainfeatherpearl
    ✭✭✭
    Every. Damn. Patch.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every. Damn. Patch.

too true... except, can't seem to be able to fix it this time.. Using Mcafee - so many options in there, I can't figure out where to set what...
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    Having the same issue. can run on 32 bit client, but on 64. and get the 1005 error message. Would hope ZOS gets this figured out
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    After 4 repairs. Restarted computer, turn off firewall and repaired worked. Turn firewall back on afterwards. Using Mcafee. Had same issue on several updates before. For CWC turned off firewall and had no problem ( again turned firewall back on after update was done).
  • Ujax
    Ujax
    Soul Shriven

Community Ambassador
    I have been having the same since the patch last week. It makes no sense really, considering it's always worked fine before. I was able to get going after reloading the game. The patch last Friday problems again. I would click on launcher and it would do nothing. I could go into game and click on eso.exe file and run the game over the weekend. Monday new patch nothing works so reloading the game for second time in a week.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error 1005 again on today's patch - I think eso64.exe is the problem file, as it somehow seems to have locked its permissions up in such a way that the system Administrator account can't even edit or delete it.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error 1005 again on today's patch - I think eso64.exe is the problem file, as it somehow seems to have locked its permissions up in such a way that the system Administrator account can't even edit or delete it.

every patch this happens to me. Finally stopped even trying. I refuse to uninstall and reinstall every time they patch. The .exe is broken now and I cant even uninstall or delete it. I told this to CS in a email and they flat out told me they were getting increased reports of this problem it wasnt their issue and wanted to forward me onto McAffee to trouble shoot with them then asked if there was anything else they could do from their end.

uh how about fix your S@#% Obviously they changed something in the way they patch when morrowind launched.
    Edited by Shimmer on November 6, 2017 7:04PM
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's what I did (which also fixed it last week):

Restart the PC into Safe Mode, then delete eso64.exe from Zenimax Online > The Elder Scrolls Online > game > client. Restart into normal mode, then run a Repair in the launcher. It'll download a working eso64.exe and you'll be good to go.

And that should be fine until next week, when somehow, the update will break the permissions of eso64.exe again, and you'll be going back to Safe Mode to delete it again.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So here's what I did (which also fixed it last week):

Restart the PC into Safe Mode, then delete eso64.exe from Zenimax Online > The Elder Scrolls Online > game > client. Restart into normal mode, then run a Repair in the launcher. It'll download a working eso64.exe and you'll be good to go.

And that should be fine until next week, when somehow, the update will break the permissions of eso64.exe again, and you'll be going back to Safe Mode to delete it again.

Something really strange is going on with ESO64.exe.

I had error 1005 during patching today. Had a look for locked files. Checked on ESO64.exe and it wouldn't even let me see any of the file permissions despite the fact that I'm Admin. Wouldn't allow rename, cut, or delete the file. Wouldn't allow any of the folders above the file to be renamed either. I wasn't able to add ESO64 to the exclusion list in McAffee because of the permissions issue. After trying all the things suggested by ZOS repeatedly, for about 3 hours, I gave up. I played the game using the 32 bit client for a couple of hours to do my dailies. Logged out, checked back on the forum...

Then I saw your post. So, I logged-in in Safe Mode, went to the live game client folder and ESO64.exe was just not there! Something deleted it, but not me. Every time I had tried do anything with ESO64.exe the OS had said I lacked the permission.

I'm perplexed. How can that happen? I've never seen the like. /sigh /shrug

Anyway, I started the launcher and repaired again. It downloaded a new copy of ESO64.exe. The game started OK using ESO64.exe. So, I checked the ESO64.exe file and it now appears normal, I can see the permissions and everything. I took the opportunity of adding ESO64.exe to the McAffee exceptions, which worked OK with the new copy of the file.

Next patch we'll see what happens.
    PC EU
  • Crimsonwolf666
    Crimsonwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have all the folders and drive and launcher itself under my admin, specifically. I add eso.exe to the exceptions list (although I wasn't having a problem with antivirus before, so I am skeptical that it is the antivirus programs fault) For the last month or so, every bloody patch I get this error. I am sick and tired of uninstalling and reinstalling this damn game. I don't believe for a second that its my antivirus, or my PC or Windows. ZOS is the only one changing things to this game which before the Morrowind update, I never had to set the drive, folder or launcher to my specific admin and jump through hoops just to get the game to launch.
  • Mait3rz
    Mait3rz
    ✭✭
    Anyone else still getting this error? I stopped playing pc over a year ago due to this, tried everything with McAfee. Only solution every time is to reinstall. Started playing again a few weeks back, 1st update, what do you know? Its ridiculous this is still an issue.