Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How the hell does "breaking free" work?

iiYuki
iiYuki
✭✭✭✭✭
Its got to a point now where it's REALLY winding me up, it very clearly comes on screen RMB+LMB, I have enough stamina 100% (10k) when using the ability since I have no stamina abilities to use and dont sprint, and I have tried every combination under the sun to try to get it to work. Spamming them together, holding them down, holding L+R, and R+L, spamming R+L and L+R. Every so often (<1/10) it breaks out sometimes at the start of the CC ability and sometimes towards the end so i'm not sure if that's just the ability ending.
It wasn't never really a problem but its so annoying when queuing random veteran and getting a dungeon like direfrost keep, fighting up to the last boss and having to leave since I know I can't interrupt the heal beam.
Is it my mouse, is it lag, is it a bug, a fake prompt when an ability isn't actually interruptible, am I doing it wrong?
How does it actually work?
Thanks.
"Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
- ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend binding it to a single key. I put it on F, and changed interact with player to C (don't forget to rebind this or you won't be able to rez or trade). Seems to work much better this way, especially when dealing with lag.
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't, most of the time...
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CC is unreliable at best. In particular against Fear.

Making alot of trixy Stam builds OPaF
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to have best luck by briefly holding down block, then tapping light attack. I agree that it seems less than perfectly reliable.

I think binding to a single key is a great idea but. . . just don't have enough free keys so I wrestle it a bit. Lol.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend binding it to a single key. I put it on F, and changed interact with player to C (don't forget to rebind this or you won't be able to rez or trade). Seems to work much better this way, especially when dealing with lag.

Didn't know you could rebind, thank you it might make it easier at least.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

• iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated
    - ZO$

• UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah... It's rarely as simple as hitting the right keys/buttons no matter what the HUD says.

It always seems to me like anything that invokes Crowd Control on you also lets the enemy(ies) stack several attacks on you and the game largely ignores your break-free commands for a what feels like an eternity.

Agree on holding block + initiating light attack. It's as if it injects some sort of priority in the attack stream and gets your controls back. Then your Break Free attempt seems to have a better chance of working. At least, it's been working more or less for me that way.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about 100% easier to break free with stamina characters. My magicka characters can barely do it at all. My stamina characters can do it easily, in a split second.

I do it so automatically now that I'm not even sure HOW I do it ... pressing both mouse buttons at the same time, maybe? I don't remember.