The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are you Happy to See a DPS Posing as a Tank in Dungeon Finder?

bhagwad
bhagwad
✭✭✭✭
I confess I'm not neutral on this, but I want to know the general consensus here. I think it's cheating for a DPS to queue as a tank in the vet dungeon finder. Sure, there are some who say "We don't need a tank for this dungeon". But my main issue is that these people are faking a tank in order to beat the queue. The other DPS guys queued honestly, and waited their turn (however long it was). The fake tank thought "I can cheat the system by queuing as a tank".

So question. Would you rather have a true tank in the Veteran dungeon finder who does the following:

1. Taunts
2. Holds boss still
3. Chains adds
4. Provides shields
5. Debuffs boss
6. Give extra health (optional) via Ebon

But does NO dps whatsoever?

Or would you rather have a random DPS queuing as a tank in the dungeon finder as Vet?
Edited by bhagwad on October 5, 2017 6:49PM

Are you Happy to See a DPS Posing as a Tank in Dungeon Finder? 51 votes

I would rather have a DPS
13%
rosendoichinoveb17_ESOjuha.smedsneb18_ESOTBoisrk110132GrigorijMalahevichMalicFakeFox 7 votes
I would rather have a true tank
72%
NestorSorianaGilvothArcaneBlueAnroseFlameheartJeremyEmirriiCurragraigueredspecter23paulsimonpsVaohMickey_OxGiants4512SkullstachiobhagwadSecretAtozDarkestnghtdisintegr8raaphor 37 votes
I MAY want another DPS, but still think that queuing as a tank is cheating
13%
newtinmplsaltemrielxRichh94pizzaowSoLooneypepsi104104MuShon 7 votes
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bhagwad wrote: »

Well, a Tank has to do some DPS, even if its just from the Taunt Skills. :)

If you think the GF is full of players looking to cheat the system, wait until the Transmute stuff starts dropping from the Random Vet Dailies. People are going to be doing everything to game the GF to get in, and when you get a group, good luck doing anything with the group as it will be a pell mell rush to the end to get the mat.

Edited by Nestor on October 5, 2017 6:54PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I play as a healer it generally means that if the tank is fake or the dps is bad then I have to pick up their slack. No tank I get the aggro. Bad dps If I don't start killing stuff we will be in the dungeon forever.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who primarily only runs normal dungeons for leveling characters, if people go in as correct roles, then everyone knows where they stand and what they are doing. This is more important for newer players.

Some new DPS thinks he is really good because of some dream dungeon runs without realizing the tank and/or healer did most of the damage - steps up to harder content and gets called a scrub. Same with a low health tauntless tank running with DD's whose DPS is so good that everything melts and he is happy - steps into harder content and gets harassed for not keeping aggro or for dying too much.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have and will continue to queue as all roles in normal dungeons and most non DLC vet dungeons until most of the people setting them selves as DPS manage to do at least 20k DPS single target. I mean come on people are doing over 40k and more in trials.

Its either that or vote kick or leave after first boss fight (when the DPS numbers show up in combat metrics).
    Edited by rosendoichinoveb17_ESO on October 5, 2017 11:25PM
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the "tank" is taunting, not dying and holding the boss still I'm happy.

It's up to them if they'd rather debuff the boss / buff me or pull a little DPS themselves... I've done dungeon finder enough (as a tank) where the dps is atrocious, and it's much better for the group for me to add 10K DPS then buff two 8K DPSs.

If a DPS is comfortable slotting inner fire, block casting / using shields then it works for me. What I hate is when a DPS queues as a tank with no taunt and excepts everyone else to be cool with it.
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other - it's usually me doing this, which means I'm 1) queue'ing for a normal dungeon instantly 2)probably going to end up tanking the dungeon better than a tank from the queue and 3) doing more DPS than the other two DPS combined and 4) going to be done grinding the same dungeon everyone's done 100x before in half the time with the added benefit of extra drops and a low-stress dungeon run for everyone else.
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think trolling is an art form, of which I am a modern picasso. In the fine art of trolling, queuing as a tank when you are DPS is extremely low brow.

However those who do have my full support, we have to support the enterprising young trolls. The social construct of ESO would crumble if we didnt.
    Edited by Malic on October 6, 2017 12:03AM
  • Drakkdjinn
    Drakkdjinn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malic wrote: »
    I think trolling is an art form, of which I am a modern picasso. In the fine art of trolling, queuing as a tank when you are DPS is extremely low brow.

However those who do have my full support, we have to support the enterprising young trolls. The social construct of ESO would crumble if we didnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    bhagwad wrote: »

Well, a Tank has to do some DPS, even if its just from the Taunt Skills. :)

If you think the GF is full of players looking to cheat the system, wait until the Transmute stuff starts dropping from the Random Vet Dailies. People are going to be doing everything to game the GF to get in, and when you get a group, good luck doing anything with the group as it will be a pell mell rush to the end to get the mat.

That's exactly why my Tank is a dragonknight, with volatile armor dealing a fair bit of flame damage on the side from increasing physical/spell resistances, it makes for a good combo with pierce armor as melee attackers take a small amount of magic damage every time they hit a dragon knight with volatile armor active.

(& Believe it or not, I have to tinker with my dragonknight because when Clockwork city lands on console, I will not be able to use the medium armor skill evasion which will partly render tava's blessing useless as I am kitted out in heavy armor, I still have Ebon armory & bloodspawn, but it just means that I will have to replace the tava set with Impenetrable Fortified brass crafted set for a more tanky dragonknight in clockwork city.)
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends on the dungeon, but if youre a dps queueing as a tank, you better have good dps for cheating the queue
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @bhagwad noted some things that tanks do. My comments are in (parenthesis)

1. Taunts (yup, kinda the definition)
    2. Holds boss still (or mostly facing an appropriate direction)
    3. Chains adds (non DK tanks can't do this. But there are some distance taunts, and some lockdowns that can help)
    4. Provides shields (Bone shield? For non DK; not really sure what other options)
    5. Debuffs boss (mostly S&B skills, so any kind of tank can do this)
    6. Give extra health (optional) via Ebon (again, not sure what other logical "tanky" sets are out there. Speaking as a rare player of tanks, I love when the tank is wearing this - but no one set can be the "one true right and only way")

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nobody cares about dungeon finder, any random group should be able to do it.

Are there actually any vet non dlc dungeons that require an actual dedicated tank?...
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • ArcaneBlue
    ArcaneBlue
    ✭✭✭
    many dungeons may be solo'd or duo'd, especially on normal, however I highly prefer people actually fulfilling their roles, be it tank or healer or DPS. I wish people were more honest about their roles and intentions.
    #teamEmeric
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veteran dungeons? If not fighting Drodda, give me pure tank.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a dps ques as a tank it depends on the vet dungeon and how well the team actually does things. But if it is for something like vaults of madness or tempest island or volenfell nah you don't really need a tank for those if your team knows what they are doing or at least one person that has done the dungeon religiously for like 20+ times. Volenfell I get lost in even though I've done it so many times, vaults of madness is not too terribly hard but be best to remind others to not attack that ghost when blue beam is on another and tempest island hardest bosses can be handled pretty easily if done right, one boss is easiest when you kill all trash mobs, another is easier to keep mobile, and that atronach when he gets to 20% health just get a fair bit of distance and just have healer do his job and just pepper the boss with ranged dps... final boss is just a distance challenge (she is considered an elemental templar). It is all like a dance but sometimes you need the right pre request partners to do the roles right or it will be challenging or not passable.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)