The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What if ESO had a Battle Royale (PUBG) mode

HeroOfNone
HeroOfNone
✭✭✭✭✭
Afternoon!

First off, let's level set. ESO with a Battle Royale mode (AKA PUBG) will likely never happen. My twisted mind opened this Pandora's box of game mechanics however, so let's just enjoy the discussion on what if we could be if we mixed the two.

PUBG is a popular game where 100 players are loaded into a plane, flown over an island. Each of them jump out with only clothes (pants optional) and a parachute. Once on the ground they must find weapons to kill other players while a damaging blue circle closes in. A matches ends only when there is one player or team left.

In ESO, the island is obviously Cyrodiil & Imperial City. Our vehicle for teleporting players in is likely Daedric portals & magic. The ultimate prize for winning the match is obviously being crowned emperor for the match. All easily doable for what we have in place.

But, now, the ideas that make this impossible

Players would have to accept that classes have no levels, no skills, and no points at the start of the match. Skill points would be earned through kills, either to the daedra that infest the lands or other players. Stronger skills would require more skill points while lower/less used would be cheaper. As you hunt for your gear you'd also want to consider what to level.

Health regen & healing skills I'd recommend be highly nerfed. This will make a majority of heals come from long heals or time or limited potions. This of course means some other skills would have to be adjusted on classes like the templar.

Players go in naked like they are a fresh level 1. This means all weapons, armor, and consumables are found in the world. Keeps would be prime loot spots, with doors kicked wide open. Daedra would need to be fought, so quite strong, while also fighting your fellow players. Loot would still exist in camps and surrounding towns, but have less loot desity. Armor and weapon would be random sets & random quality, making it hard to make a meta build and forcing players to scrounge for what they can. Potions and food would also be rare and in high demand to survive.

Players would need to accept Permanent death & lost of gear. Some may be ready for this, having played imperial city and losing thousands of telvar, but it's still a bitter pill to swallow. This however is what gives match their meaning. When you'd die, teammates would have a short time to res you, before you'd die fully and all your gear drops out for any to loot.

Players need to be constantly moving away from the circle of death. This circle will nudge players at first, taking just a little life. As the circle grows smaller & centre changes it will start to deal more damage. In the blue, heals won't work and you'll face constant damage, much like a negate.

So, that's just some of the ideas on how ESO could have a Battle Royale mode added.

Likelihood of it ever happening: Zero.

But part of this was to get the idea out of my head and to highlight some concepts that make other pvp games, even first person shooters, fun. Look at the effect this style of game could have:
- progression inside a pvp environment
- weeding out weak or unstealthy players and having strong players fight strong players toward the end
- RNG and the excitement on what loot they might find at the next spot
- ways to consolidate the small fights into a tighter area to force more conflict.
- penalty of losing and rewards for winning.

These are some of the things missing in the current PVP game. If we could tap into dome of this while continuing to reduce the lag impact and balance things, we'd see a resurgence in the current system.

Anyhow thanks for reading and hope this inspires something.

Other forum users feel free to high jack this thread with you ideas for ESO PVP adopting in other game's pvp mechanics. Who knows, maybe it will inspire a change.
Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a terrible idea that I really want to try.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a terrible idea that I really want to try.

It is really bad I know. I kept dismissing the idea myself but I kept coming back to it, pointing me at some lacking elements from our current open world & battlegrounds PVP.
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a great idea that I would love to try but too complicated of a system for ZOS to implement
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ZoS should make a Battle Royale, there's no harm in it.
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh. I'll stick to PUBG. This sounds fun but it seems like any time a fun idea is implemented, this game gets less fun.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Geroken777
    Geroken777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Introducing a new mode with even MORE servers will be bad as they can't even keep the current servers stable.

I hope this idea will never be implemented, this is MMORPG, afterall. Keep the game as it is and focus on fixing the actual game.
    Edited by Geroken777 on October 4, 2017 7:33PM
    The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUBG is glitchy enough, mix it with ESO and you have another reason to complain over and over again.
    PC/EU
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geroken777 wrote: »
    Introducing a new mode with even MORE servers will be bad as they can't even keep the current servers stable.

I hope this idea will never be implemented, this is MMORPG, afterall. Keep the game as it is and focus on fixing the actual game.
    PUBG is glitchy enough, mix it with ESO and you have another reason to complain over and over again.

You did read the topic and understand this is more of a discussion of mechanics than a viable suggestion yes? Loads of reasons why it can't be done, the biggest being the time and cost of a development team.

But, suspend the reasons it can't be done, ask yourself what mechanic would be interesting, and reply. It's more of adding something interesting, if the lag was corrected and they had the budget.
  • Geroken777
    Geroken777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HeroOfNone wrote: »
    Geroken777 wrote: »

You did read the topic and understand this is more of a discussion of mechanics than a viable suggestion yes? Loads of reasons why it can't be done, the biggest being the time and cost of a development team.

But, suspend the reasons it can't be done, ask yourself what mechanic would be interesting, and reply. It's more of adding something interesting, if the lag was corrected and they had the budget.

Still breaks the point of having an MMO. Battlegrounds is enough. Community will be more toxic. No thanks.
    The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One if the great aspects of MMOs is they don't try to be everything to every player while still offering a variety of activities. There are games for so many different flavors.

Further, anything added to ESO needs to fit into the greater aspect of the base design of the game. PUGB didn't do that. At its core it doesn't fit into ESO with its instant nature.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone would be stuck in lag from the initial drop down in the sky
    and then....ya know its Morrowind so

https://youtu.be/NnFUqAjp-pE
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm avoiding PUBG like the plague for a very good reason. Don't bring it into ESO
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hero are you on the skooma again?

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Robby94
    Robby94
    ✭✭✭
    a way it could work would be to choose a pve zone at random, drop players at random spawn points, naked with only certain skills and passives active (roughly balanced skills across all classes, see below) . all pve monsters remain and drop that area loot. no cp. no delves/ interiors. and the map shrinks with adds outside the barrier getting ridiculously op.

each class has one heal,damage, shield, dot and execute ability. for balance reasons.
    also it makes it more skill based not who has best gear, unblanced set up etc.

would be interesting but then again lag would have to be fixed for all this to work.
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt it called Free For All in FPS games, or thats different? But it would be cool to have something similar to this :D
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Caff32
    Caff32
    ✭✭✭✭
    These servers can't handle PvP the way it is now. It can't handle me in my own house with a bunch of stuff banging on a target dummy.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm avoiding PUBG like the plague for a very good reason. Don't bring it into ESO

You don't like fun? Personally I split my game time between PUBG and ESO, love both games a lot. In PUBG every game is a different unique story which is what I enjoy.
  • S1ipperyJim
    S1ipperyJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    it doesn't fit into ESO with its instant nature.

I disagree, in fact Battlegrounds introduced several games taken straight from call of duty, which are much shorter than a 30 minute game of PUBG. Personally I think it would be a fun idea, just not likely to happen since ZOS are very conservative with their updates.

• logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more PUBG clones. Stop, please.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370600/eso-battle-royale#latest

LOL @ that second post from DeadlyRecluse being the exact same. You a bot?
  • Walks_With_Kagouti
    The Xivkyn loaded many others and I up onto the back of a massive Titan as it prepares to fly over Molag Bals Battleground of Supreme Domination. I, like a few possible others, volunteered to enter once again in the Lord of Schemes game of true supremacy. Others from the looks of it may have been kidnapped or some other possible outcome of being here. However those tiny skeevers wont last very long within his land of might. Whether it be the elements, his dome of oblivion fire that slowly closes in on the island, or whatever weapon i find upon this land once again. In the end i plan to become once again a Champion of Domination and gain rewards unimaginable once again. Although the shackles on my wrists may resist my powers, my strength alone will once again thrust a weapon through the hearts of all who oppose me! It seems the roar of the Titan has been sounded. I cannot wait to hear the screams of those who try to stay on the Titan when the Xivkyn kick them off for not jumping.

Anyway i saw this crazy idea n thought it actually sounded pretty cool. In all honesty for it to remain balance, im pretty sure it would just be skill with weapons and when you use potions.
    Im pretty sure the scattered weapons would go through the normal tiers. Normal- Gold. Youd have all weapon abilities unlocked besides ultimates. Health is reduced to very low with 0 health recovery so that the only way to get health is from potions. Magic is just gone lol. The main thing you get is stamina. But a whole lot of it. So that you can dodge and still use stamina abilities. But the damage is reduced becuase... you know... low health. But anyway. The thought popped in my head n it seemed kinda cool.

"Bend your knee to me, I'll give you a minion for each enemy you've slain. You will have an army.
    -Lord Molag Bal

The armies of Molag Bal are upon you! Submit to my masters rule!
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You don't like fun? Personally I split my game time between PUBG and ESO, love both games a lot. In PUBG every game is a different unique story which is what I enjoy.

I love fun. PUBG doesn't fill that for me. It would just make me rage incessantly and I already have Overwatch to do that for me.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • lelink88
    lelink88
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, I think Ihat idea may work
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringing two worlds together and violently combining together. See, the plane meld would have been fun :)
    Remag_Div wrote: »
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370600/eso-battle-royale#latest

LOL @ that second post from DeadlyRecluse being the exact same. You a bot?

And sorry I missed your earlier post, though this post recognizes any sort of large conversion as a pipe dream with the current budget & development team. But hey, who knows if they'll get some inspiration from it.
    Robby94 wrote: »
    a way it could work would be to choose a pve zone at random, drop players at random spawn points, naked with only certain skills and passives active (roughly balanced skills across all classes, see below) . all pve monsters remain and drop that area loot. no cp. no delves/ interiors. and the map shrinks with adds outside the barrier getting ridiculously op.

each class has one heal,damage, shield, dot and execute ability. for balance reasons.
    also it makes it more skill based not who has best gear, unblanced set up etc.

would be interesting but then again lag would have to be fixed for all this to work.

I kind of wonder with fewer skills an more players dying & getting eliminated if the lag doesn't just fix itself.
    The Xivkyn loaded many others and I up onto the back of a massive Titan as it prepares to fly over Molag Bals Battleground of Supreme Domination. I, like a few possible others, volunteered to enter once again in the Lord of Schemes game of true supremacy. Others from the looks of it may have been kidnapped or some other possible outcome of being here. However those tiny skeevers wont last very long within his land of might. Whether it be the elements, his dome of oblivion fire that slowly closes in on the island, or whatever weapon i find upon this land once again. In the end i plan to become once again a Champion of Domination and gain rewards unimaginable once again. Although the shackles on my wrists may resist my powers, my strength alone will once again thrust a weapon through the hearts of all who oppose me! It seems the roar of the Titan has been sounded. I cannot wait to hear the screams of those who try to stay on the Titan when the Xivkyn kick them off for not jumping.

Anyway i saw this crazy idea n thought it actually sounded pretty cool. In all honesty for it to remain balance, im pretty sure it would just be skill with weapons and when you use potions.
    Im pretty sure the scattered weapons would go through the normal tiers. Normal- Gold. Youd have all weapon abilities unlocked besides ultimates. Health is reduced to very low with 0 health recovery so that the only way to get health is from potions. Magic is just gone lol. The main thing you get is stamina. But a whole lot of it. So that you can dodge and still use stamina abilities. But the damage is reduced becuase... you know... low health. But anyway. The thought popped in my head n it seemed kinda cool.

Might would with just weapon & armor abilities, but sucks if you can't use your signature class. Though at the same time thst more stuff to balance.
  • kynseon
    kynseon
    ✭✭✭
    awesome idea
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HeroOfNone

It's just doesn't fit into ESO. Different style and design. That's why it will never be added.

We have BGs that fit with the design of the game and that's more than sufficient.
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    @HeroOfNone

It's just doesn't fit into ESO. Different style and design. That's why it will never be added.

We have BGs that fit with the design of the game and that's more than sufficient.

You might mean that for @S1ipperyJim as he has the direct arguement against you, not I. But I'd still invite you to open your mind a little bit and focus on the fun elements such a clash of styles would bring. A lot of fun games and modes have popped up by adding mechanics that "Don't fit into the genre".

Not like any of this is happening anyway :smile:
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of 100 players just put 12 players in a little istland (solstheim?) and make it a mini game like in GW2. It could actually be a BG mode where all your gear and stats don't matter. You just pick up some weapons that would put you in a mode where you get cool skills that you can use. After 15 min, the players still alive win. It's a very doable idea (GW2 did it).
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on October 5, 2017 1:59PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!