The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Installing on new PC (file transfer?)

MercTheMage
MercTheMage
✭✭✭✭
So I need to install eso on a new computer, the thing is, a fresh install would legit take me 3 days if I have to download 50 gigs of data.
Is there any way to shorten this process by copying my eso install files from my old hdd?
I was thinking install it from the Tamriel unlimited disc to get the system files and such, then replace everything in the install directory with the files I have.
Worth a shot or should I just sack up and see everyone in 3 days lol
You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • zom414
    zom414
    Soul Shriven
    I've just done this myself. I copied the complete ESO game folder to another hard drive. Don't forget to also copy the ESO folder in "My Documents" as this contains your settings and addons. Once I'd re-installed Windows I just copied the folders back to the drive, clicked on the launcher and all was fine. I had to download about 7MB of data but that was it, far better than installing from scratch.
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could kiss you right now... no *** xD
    Thank you so much for the reply haha
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    So should I do a disc install first or can I just copy everything right off the bat?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So should I do a disc install first or can I just copy everything right off the bat?

I have transferred the game from my main computer to two others in my house, and in all cases I threw the whole thing (the entire \Zenimax Online folder) on to a 128GB thumb drive and placed it in the same directory on the other computers as it was on the original.

Had no problems, never had a disk. You can also transfer your settings like the poster above said, but if your computer is very different than the first you may want those settings to be default at first.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To echo the others, I've done this twice now without problems, using an external drive to move the data. Another advantage of doing it this way is that you'll retain all of your add-on settings and history.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MercTheMage
    MercTheMage
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is great news guys, thank you, really.
    I was honestly dreading the reinstall lol
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you can* just copy-paste the Zenimax Online folder (by default found under Program Files (x86)) to different drive on a different pc.
    U can start up the launcher directly from Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe (when u need updates),
    or the game with Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe

It does not seem to bother with the registry.

*i copied the game to external HDD to my Notebook and from there to buddys and his wifes pcs ~a year ago. There is a slim chance that doesnt work anymore.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has a copy of the game files on my external hard drive. Which are updated every so often, in case my system crashes and I need to perform a fresh install of windows, or for when I invest in a upgrade of my computer.
    Also keep a copy of all addons.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Orjix
    Orjix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, I tried to do it when I got my new computer as we have metered Internet (100 gb a month for 7 people, only ISP/package we can get)and no matter what I tried I could not get it to work.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Install on external HD this time save yourself for any future changes you may make. It can be done tho but I can’t offer advice as my install was done on an external to avoid this in the future. When I did transfer files I would get errors which prob can be resolved with a repair or something but a lot has changed since my first install up until my last external in 2016.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on October 4, 2017 1:51PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    Has a copy of the game files on my external hard drive. Which are updated every so often, in case my system crashes and I need to perform a fresh install of windows, or for when I invest in a upgrade of my computer.
    Also keep a copy of all addons.

Minion can back them up for you if you like. I back mine up weekly ever since a strange system crash reset all my add-ons last year, and another time a year before that!

Reconfiguring all your adding can take hours.
  • winged_tortoise
    I keep trying this. It doesn’t work for me. I’ve already bought a second copy of the game when switching from PS4 to PC. Now to buy a third copy to move to a new pc seems silly.

I have copied all the files over, but Bethesda.net_launcher does not run. It spawns a loading screen and then hangs up. Does this method no longer work? Should I have bought the game through steam? I really want to move it to my new PC.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep trying this. It doesn’t work for me. I’ve already bought a second copy of the game when switching from PS4 to PC. Now to buy a third copy to move to a new pc seems silly.

I have copied all the files over, but Bethesda.net_launcher does not run. It spawns a loading screen and then hangs up. Does this method no longer work? Should I have bought the game through steam? I really want to move it to my new PC.

Even if you downloaded it fresh, you still wouldn't have to "buy another copy". You can play on any PC that has the game installed, you just need to enter your account info on the login screen. "Buying a copy" on PC is making a new account, not getting another copy of the software. You don't want to do that.

edit: to install a brand new copy of the game, just log in to your ESO account on the website, and click the Download Game button. This thread was all about skipping that download (because your broadband sucks) by transferring the files from one PC to another. If your broadband is fine and moving the files isn't working, just download it.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on August 12, 2019 1:03AM