The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Client "Play" button not working after today's patch

Dragonnord
Dragonnord
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Hello,

After today's patch, when I click the "Play" button in the game client nothing happens. I tried repairing the client, rebooting, etc., and nothing works.

Only thing that works is unchecking the 64-bit option in the client setting (and so playing the game as 32-bit), however, the game constantly crashes to Windows after a few minutes logged in, with no error, just a pop-up window stating to send crashing comments to ZOS.

I'm on PC, Windows 10, NA server.

Any ideas/help with this please?

Thank you.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Star_Wanderer
    CarbonX wrote: »
    Hello,

After today's patch, when I click the "Play" button in the game client nothing happens. I tried repairing the client, rebooting, etc., and nothing works.

Yup, same problem exactly. Just black screen with animated hourglass rotating after pressing Play. I wonder what got screwed up this time, ZoS?
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to lauch the 64-bit file manually (eso64 file in client folder) but it gives me an error message stating that Windows cannot access the file. This WAS NOT happening before today's patch.

It looks like, after the patch, something happened with the 64-bit version of the game since I did anything on my side other than applying today's patch.

@ZOS_BillE

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • tcrfelton
    tcrfelton
    Soul Shriven
    Same here. Same ol' stuff, different day......
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CarbonX wrote: »
    Hello,

Only thing that works is unchecking the 64-bit option in the client setting (and so playing the game as 32-bit), however, the game constantly crashes to Windows after a few minutes logged in, with no error, just a pop-up window stating to send crashing comments to ZOS.

I'm on PC, Windows 10, NA server.

Any ideas/help with this please?

Thank you.

I am also having similar issue.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom need ZOS team help to resolve this issue.
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on October 2, 2017 6:56PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a small sample as yet, but are you all using Steam and/or Windows 10? I logged in fine with a direct ZOS installation (64 bit version) and Windows 7.
    Edited by Tandor on October 2, 2017 8:07PM
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Direct from ZOS (not a Steam install).

Patch got to 41% and died. Gave me option to Repair. In process now but not very encouraging after today's patch and got an Error 1005 - A file could not be updated due to permissions when trying to reapply patch.

Now, will not launch with Play button from launcher.

Then went into folder, and manually launched application.

And I finally got to character loading screen after a six-minute load screen.

I don't know, but something doesn't seem right after this patch.

Edit: Wanted to add that I now can only get into game by launching the ESO application directly.
    Edited by Wayshuba on October 3, 2017 10:27PM
  • inclinations
    inclinations
    ✭✭✭
    Same. After several errors (1005 and 206), repairs and a reboot I was able to open the game.
    Vet Maelstrom makes me cry.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running Windows 10 and direct install of game. Don't use Steam to install or launch ESO. Everything working well here.

I login on my system as Administrator and run ESO in Admin mode as well. Not sure if that helps but worth a shot for those not doing this.
  • kwinter
    kwinter
    ✭✭✭
    Window 10 PC same issue
    game will not launch with play button from launcher.

manually launch and got in
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, I cant even bypass the launcher and direct launch the game. IT tells me I dont have permissions...
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »
    Same here, I cant even bypass the launcher and direct launch the game. IT tells me I dont have permissions...

Are you running it as Administrator?

Are you playing direct or through Steam?
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Are you running it as Administrator?

Are you playing direct or through Steam?

Of course im running as administrator.

No I dont use Steam.

• Star_Wanderer
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1703 OS Build 15063.632
    No Steam, direct through ESO updater

Will not load in user mode or Administrator mode. Just sits and vegetates after clicking Play
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    REALLY getting sick of this. Ive been having this issue since morrowind, but normally I can bypass the launcher and direct launch by using the executable file but now im unable to do even that...

• Star_Wanderer
    I did get into game now....after rebooting my machine after repairing all files. Wish Beth would let us know that a reboot would be a viable option if we run into log on difficulties after an update..... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Jorvald
    Jorvald
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem here. It was fine until the patch, but now I can't get into the game even after several repairs and restarts. -_-
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone still having issues where the Play button is not working in the launcher, there are a few additional things you can try if a repair is not working.

First, check your anti-virus and firewall settings, as they may have been reset or changed after the update. The following files need exceptions.
    • Bethesda.net_launcher: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\Launcher
    • ESO.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe
    • Steam.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe

Some antivirus programs require entire folders to be selected instead of a single file.When this is the case, the file paths below are what you should use. If required by the anti-virus program, include all subfolders since every file is critical to run the game.
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Second, run the launcher as an administrator so it has the correct permissions to access the required folders.

Here is how to automatically run the launcher as administrator:
    1. Right-click on the launcher icon.
    2. Click on Properties.
    3. In the Shortcut tab, click on the Advanced button.
    4. Tick the Run as an administrator box, and then click on OK.
    5. This option may be available under the Compatibility tab of some versions of Windows.

To do this, on your desktop, right click the launcher and choose "Run as Administrator."
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    For anyone still having issues where the Play button is not working in the launcher, ...snip..."

Tried everything you listed here. Still only working as I covered in my earlier post.

TBH, everything worked fine pre-patch, now is broken after patch. Meaning, it is something wrong with your patch.

• Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NEVER USE THE LAUNCHER TO START THE GAME. The launcher is only for updates. Use ONLY the direct .exe to start your game and you will never have this problem again.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    NEVER USE THE LAUNCHER TO START THE GAME. The launcher is only for updates. Use ONLY the direct .exe to start your game and you will never have this problem again.

I never use the launcher after the issue started. Now I cant even use the executable files. Usually solved by windows update but there is none.

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem.

Launcher broken. (happens frequently after Monday patches...)

Sometimes the Application file will work... but then I get lots of game crashes.. for no apparent reason.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi I have no add ons I get insta crashes when I use the exe directly and when I use the launcher I do not have virus protection turned on and have repaired the launcher without success. I am not able to start the game at all.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CS just helped me find a fix, are any of you using McAfee by chance?

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭
    CS just helped me find a fix, are any of you using McAfee by chance?

Yes!!! I have McAfee.

My launcher is still broken... and it is soooo frustrating.

Please if you have a possible solution please share.

• Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you are running Mcafee this fix solved all my issues:

Go into mcaffee > Navigation > General Settings and Alerts > then Access Protection. If you uncheck it and re run the repair you should be fine. Hope this fixes your problem it fixed mine!

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, no that did not work.

Perhaps someone else has ideas?

Before when this same problem happened.. i used the .exe file to play and after about a week or so,, it just magically started working normal again...

I was hoping for the maintenance patch today to fix it... :-(

• TankHealz2015
    TankHealz2015
    ✭✭✭

I deleted the game folders from my computer.
    I then copied the game folders from my external (back up) drive back onto my computer.

I started the launcher, it downloaded a patch, and when I hit play... magically. It worked.

:-/

• Shaie
    Shaie
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely, even though I have not attempted to log in since Sunday, the launcher did not patch just now. I'm running a repair... maybe it will finally be fixed for me? It's been broken since the patch before this one & I have not been able to get into the game. It just freezes my computer completely at the point where it should go to character select.
  • Jeger
    Jeger
    Wayshuba wrote: »
    Running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Direct from ZOS (not a Steam install).

Patch got to 41% and died. Gave me option to Repair. In process now but not very encouraging after today's patch and got an Error 1005 - A file could not be updated due to permissions when trying to reapply patch.

Now, will not launch with Play button from launcher.

This is exactly what happened to my wife. Patch got to 41% and died, got the repair option, now play button will not work. She is on Steam and I have tried completely disabling all anti-virus protection, but it has no effect. It's looking like deleting the install and losing a couple days for a re-download is the only option.

This is the third time for her, and she's losing interest. If she loses interest, so do I.