The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about Poison Dot abilities

Pirhana7_ESO
Pirhana7_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Questions about Poison Dots for a Poison Build

Compared to direct damage abilities Do crit, crit damage, and penetration all effect poison dots? Considering things like the champion points, weapon traits, mundus stone........ Are poison dots and direct damage abilities all effected the same?

Looking at an archer Lethal Arrow / Poison Injection build for Cyrodiil with 2 of these 3 set procs..... Vicecannon, Sheer Venom, and Viper. For Mundus would you go Weapon damage or crit damage? considering that I would mostly be opening with sneak attack Snipe - Lethal Arrow

Thanks
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a bow build and know what you're asking.

Yes, DOTs can crit. Each individual tick can crit. This can be illustrated by using poison inject while wearing Briarhearts...the poison DOTs will eventually proc it. So all crit stats affect DOTs. If your DOT has 8 ticks and you have a 50% crit rating, odds are that four will crit. And you can boost the crit damage of DOTs like any damage...and players can mitigate it like any damage. You can also turn on combat text and watch how different buffs affect the DOT procs.

Physical damage, disease and poison are all physical damage types, and are affected by your physical penetration rating. If you have a physical penetration rating of 5000, physical attacks ignore 5000 armor on your opponent. Poison DOTs fall into this category.

A direct attack is an attack that is targeted on a specific enemy, but not a DOT. So it can be a bit tricky to classify every ability. Some abilities seem like DOTs but aren't, and some are hybrids. Poison inject is a hybrid. It has an initial hit that counts as direct damage, then it has DOT damage that follows. Direct damage buffs only affects the initial hit, while DOT buffs affect the subsequent damage. All hits are poison, so poison buffs affect all of them.

So to answer your question, different champion points affect various damage strikes differently. Depends on each individual ability. For your rogue poisoner you'll want to spend in mighty and precise strikes to boost overall damage. Master in Arms is important because those snipes hurt, lol. And then you can spend some in DOT boosting. Because of the new CP balance, you can get most of the value from all four of these in whatever distribution that seems best to you.

For Mundas you can experiment with either Stone. I have a Khajiit nightblade with a crit rating like 70%, so I typically favor crit damage. But there will be some point at which a crit rating is low enough so that the weapon damage Stone would be better...but I'm not sure where that point is.

I'm not a fan of Vicecannon, and I'm not impressed with Sheer Venom but haven't tried it. They're sets that sound better on paper than they are. If this is for pvp, marksman is usually going to outperform Vicecannon. 16k sounds impressive...but it's over 15 seconds. Marksman offers a guaranteed constant 8% buff to your hits...I think this outperforms Vicecannon by a lot.

And don't forget Might of the Guild in Mage's Guild. Lore book hunting stinks, but if you're a bow ganker you can get a 20% buff pulling a magelight right before your opening snipe. It's so worth it...I get 16k+ opening attacks...it's hard to recover from that.