The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ZOS - Why Don't You Want My Money?

Enemy-of-Coldharbour
Enemy-of-Coldharbour
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I would be more than happy to whip out my plastic and buy Crown Store items if I could buy everything with Crowns. You are losing good business by hiding items in Crown Crates.

6wjitmm.png
Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, that the money they make via this business is better than they money they would make from the extra business.

If it wasn't more profitable companies wouldn't do loot boxes.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    The problem is, that the money they make via this business is better than they money they would make from the extra business.

That's funny though, WoW never had loot boxes at all for the past 13 years it was out and people spend like crazy on it for direct items.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that this model has taken off. Like literally shame on the people who came up with it and implemented it. They should have stuck with offering things to be bought directly.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

That's funny though, WoW never had loot boxes at all for the past 13 years it was out and people spend like crazy on it for direct items.
    I'm not saying people won't spend money on direct items, they will. I am saying from making the most money these damn boxes are the best method (or at least it seems to be for the industry).
    • They can sell you items you don't want (two of your cards are always guaranteed to be white/green).
      The above works because you think you're buying four items, you're actually only ever buy two or three.
    • The most desired items can be as low as 1/100 and even then not guaranteed, making people want/need to buy again.
    • They're designed as fun games to make them more appealing (even the NPC encourages you to buy more).
    • They're very good at preying on the weak willed or easily addicted.
    • You can't sell/trade/convert items you don't want meaning only way to obtain is to buy more crates.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • MudkipKatana
    MudkipKatana
    ✭✭

Right, because they could sell you all items directly, but then you'd buy the one item you wanted and leave... ORRRR... They could sell you a single loot crate at a slightly lower rate and prey on the gambling habits of players. Like for example, with the new Reaper's Harvest Crates, if I could buy the Bouyant Armiger directly, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but since it's behind a loot crate barrier, I'm gonna have to potentially drop more money on crates in order to get it.

Because lord knows I'm not going to sink more pointless effort into grabbing a pretty average Motif. Since it's currently the rarest drop rate and highest selling motif in the game, it's pretty damned difficult to actually get it without driving myself bonkers.
    Submit to the Argonian Master Race. Submit and be free.
  • Vuldovahkriid
    Vuldovahkriid
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not surprised since ZeniMax hired the guy who introduced loot boxes to Neverwinter. I've spent probably well over $500 on Crown Store related items, and I'm fine with that(I have a job, bills are paid, and I still have fun in RL), but I will never spend my money on crates(unless I have a crazy stockpile of Crowns).
    Valtyr Stormblade- Nord DK CP810

Vulsahvith- Argonian NB CP810

Illidan Highborn- High Elf Sorc CP810

Thrall Durotar- Orc WD CP810

Mythos Varedis- Wood Elf TP CP810

Ra'zaq- Khajit NB CP810

Aelya Proudmoore- Breton Sorc CP810

Broxigar Saurfang- Orc DK CP810

Lady Sylvannas Windrunner- Dark Elf NB CP810

Lord Anduin Wyrnn- Breton TP CP810
  • Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just human nature: give people the idea they can get high-valued items by chance and only opening 1 box and people will start gambling.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »

Does WoW still have a subscription model? If so, that would explain why they haven't needed to resort to gambling crates. I doubt we'd have them in ESO if it were still a sub model. We might have a cash shop, but probably (maybe...hopefully...) wouldn't have crates.
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    It's a shame that this model has taken off. Like literally shame on the people who came up with it and implemented it. They should have stuck with offering things to be bought directly.

Some joes are suckers for gambling, this is how the world is :neutral: