The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hybrid PvP/PvE Templar Healer

Odin1088
Odin1088
This is my hybrid PvP/PvE Templar Healer build. It is NOT revolutionary and the PvP part comes mostly from VanaEvr, but I want to share it because feedback is always helpful and hopefully this helps others as well. My guildmates always turn to me for healing so I must be doing something right...right? I am in the champion 400s and am still collecting lorebooks occassionally so I will show you what it is going to be once it is done. I would like to give credit to VanaEvr for the PvP part of this build, which is the part I am working on now. I am done with the PvE part. My favorite part of the build in PvE is how the mechanics work beautifully with utilizing the gear to its full potential. For PvP you should be with at least one player who can do more damage, but you are not helpless.

Race
Breton-I like Breton because of all the magicka economy and resistance, but High Elf, Argonian, and Dunmer can work as well.

Attributes
All points in Magicka

Magicka 64
Health 0
Stamina 0

Note: Make sure you eat something with at least health prior to a dungeon because you have under 18k health not buffed. Buffed you have a little over 18k health. I like Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce. It gives great health, magicka, and stamina. Witchmother's Potent Brew is good as well, but it does not give you enough health and the magicka recovery you get from it is unnecessary.

Mundus Stone
I like the Mage in PvE because it gives me a little more magicka. I don't have to worry too much about magicka during boss fights with it. I used the Ritual for a long time and I like it, but I realized that my healing is almost equally good without it so it is a little unnecessary. Both are good choices, but the Ritual makes Breath of Life potent enough that I only need to do one or two casts to get someone who is almost dead to full health in seconds. I use the Atronach for PvP due to Vanaevr's suggestion. I like it.

Skills
All passives are maxed out (2/2, 3/3, etc)
Aedric Spear skills
Piercing Javelin-> Aurora Javelin This is nice when you are in delves and I used to use this in PvP. Knocks the enemies back.
Spear Shards-> Luminous Shards This is good for long boss fights where the tank and dps might need more magicka or stamina. It also does a little damage.
Piercing Spear Something to make our damage spells a little stronger
Burning Light Same reason as piercing spear a little more damage
Balanced Warrior The extra weapon damage is nice for our heavy attacks, but it is mostly useful for its spell resistance.

Dawn's Wrath skills
Nova->Solar Disturbance I like it in PvP because it does damage, but most importantly it reduces your enemy's movement speed by 62%. That gives you time to back up if they are close and do a few damage spells if your teammates are not able to help.
Sun Fire->Reflective Light Before working on the Vanadium PvP setup from VanaEvr, I was using this as a primary damage spell in PvE. It is a nice burst and DoT damage spell, which also slows creatures down by 40%. It was one of my only damage spells, but as a healer our job is to heal. It is useful when traveling and going into delves.
Backlash->Purifying Light I love using this on bosses. It does a little damage and most importantly it heals your teammates.
Radiant Destruction->Radiant Oppression I got this because it is part of the Vanadium build. It is useful in almost any situation when you want to do damage, but if your target is below 50% health then the spell does up to 330% extra damage.
Enduring Rays increases the duration of your Dawn's Wrath spells. This is a no brainer. This is especially nice for Purifying Light
Prism gets your ultimate up faster
Illuminate is a nice group buff. It raises everyone's damage by 5% for 20secs. The faster an enemy can die the less healing you have to do.
Restoring Spirit reduces magicka, stamina, and ultimate ability costs. This should be a no brainer.

Restoring Light skills
Right of Passage->Rememberance I originally got this when I started working on the Vanadium build for pvp but I found that I really like it in pve. It makes you nearly invincible while you are healing the entire group. Its a good ultimate when you are low on magicka or when Breath of Life isn't enough.
Rushed Ceremony->Breath of Life This is a must have for any Templar healer. It is the best burst heal in the game.
Restoring Aura->Repentance This is a nice skill, which is great if the tank or any dps are low on stamina or magicka and it heals the party. It is useful in mob fights or boss fights where there are a lot of adds. It is not a "must have" but it is helpful. If slotted it gives you 10% more magicka, stamina, and health recovery.
Cleansing Ritual->Extended Ritual I love this skill. It is a HoT and if you have anything slowing you down or immobilizing you then you can use this and get out of it. It also gets rid of one movement impairing effects from teammates and if they use the synergy then up to 5 movement impairing effects. I put this down before any mob fight. It makes healing much easier.
Rune Focus->Channeled Focus I got this skill when I started working on the Vanadium build. It is great for PvP. Its usefulness is very situational in PvE because to get the full effects you have to stay in it but there are times in PvE where you need to get away from an area "If you see red, get out!" then you are not benefiting from it much.
Mending Increasing your healing up to 12%
Sacred Ground Increases healing by 8% and enemy movement in a healing AOE is slowed by 30%
Light Weaver It does a lot. My favorite part is that it is what makes you nearly invincible during Right of Passage.
Master Ritualist It is not mandatory but it is a nice skill for when you are the last player alive during a boss fight or in your group during PvP. You can resurrect players faster and you have a chance to fill a soul gem. I don't care about the soul gem but since the only time you should be resurrecting players is when you are the only or one of the 2 players alive in a boss fight then getting people up with 100% health is great.

Restoration Staff skills
Grand Healing->Healing Springs This is a great and cheap HoT for mob fights. We will talk about this more later.
Steadfast Ward->Ally Ward This is a great damage shield. It goes on you and the player with the lowest amount of health. Healing Ward is another good call, but playing some dungeons on vet requires a damage shield for myself.
Essence Drain Increases your healing after doing heavy attacks. You will be doing a considerable amount of heavy attacks so this is a must have.
Restoration Expert is also a must have. It increases your healing.
Cycle of Life increases the amount of magicka you get back after doing a heavy attack. After only 2 or 3 heavy attacks I can get my magicka back to full after having almost none.
Absorb is very situational. It is not necessary but I like it. If you block a spell you restore magicka. There are very few times where I block spells.
Restoration Master increases healing with restoration staff spells. Refer back to Healing Springs and Healing Ward

Destruction Staff skills
Elemental Storm->Elemental Rage It is good to help your teammates when there are a lot of mobs.
Weakness to Elements->Elemental Drain This is great during boss fights. It gives you more magicka and it lowers the boss's resistances.
Tri Focus You are going to be doing heavy attacks so why not do a little more damage when doing them?
Elemental Force Same reason as Tri Focus

One-Handed and Shield skills-Vanadium
Sword and Board Increases weapon damage and you take less damage when blocking
Deflect Bolts Take less damage
Battlefield Mobility increases movement speed while blocking. You will almost always be blocking in combat

Light Armor skills
Annulment->Dampen Magic I can run through delves without fighting almost anyone and taking pretty much no damage using this damage shield. Its a must have for solo activities.
Evocation Reduces magicka cost of spells
Recovery Increases magicka recovery
Spell Warding Increases spell resistance
Prodigy Increases spell crit, which means more potent heals and damage when you crit
Concentration Increases spell pen which is nice since you do not do much damage.

Heavy armor skills is useful for pvp
Heavy Armor skills
Resolve increases resistances
Constitution More magicka, stamina, and health just for fighting
Juggernaut More health
Wrath More damage
Rapid Mending You receive more healing when you heal yourself and you get more magicka from heavy attacks

Vampire skills-Vanadium
Mist Form->Elusive Mist I became a vampire because the Vanadium build suggests it and Elusive Mist is helpful in PvP
Supernatural Recovery Your magicka and stamina recovery is increased by 10%
Blood Ritual is completely optional. I like it just if someone asks if they can become a vampire.
Undeath Reduces damage delt to you when you fall below 50% health.
Unnatural Resistance is optional because you are a healer, but I like it because it means I don't have to heal myself as much.
Dark Stalker is optional. You crouch faster at night and move faster crouched. Its nice in PvP but not a must have

Dark Brotherhood skills
Blade of Woe This is a free skill you get just for doing a few Dark Brotherhood quests. It doesn't matter. Its sort of fun though.

Thieves Guild skills
Finders Keepers you get this just for doing a few Thieves Guild quests. Its a free skill. It doesn't do anything. I am just listing every skill I have.

Fighters Guild
Intimidating Presence It is optional. If you are leveling or need to do some quests to get to some skyshards, which you will have to do, it helps you skip parts of quests.
Banish the Wicked gives you more ultimate for killing undead, daedra, and werewolves. It is good for PvE and PvP.

Mage Guild-Except for Inner Light, which I got when I was experimenting with a high crit healing build all of this is thanks to Vanaevr but her build also uses Inner Light.
Magelight->Inner Light It is good for PvP and PvE. More magicka and more crit. It don't seem to be a worthwhile slot on my bars for PvE though.
Entropy->Structured Entropy Does damage, increases your damage, and heals you. I also got this for the Vanadium build. It is good for PvP and PvE but like Inner Light, I have not found a slot worth using it on my PvE bars.
Persuasive Will Same reason I have Intimidating Presence
Mage Adept Lowers cost of Structured Entropy
Everlasting Magic Increases duration of Structured Entropy
Magicka Controller More magicka and magicka recovery
Might of the Guild More damage

Undaunted
Undaunted Command Activating a synergy restores health, magicka, and stamina (As a healer I wasn't sure if it was worth getting this one since I'm throwing out the synergies and rarely activate a synergy, but it is good for those occosional times when players use a skill that allows you to use it.)
Undaunted Mettle Increases health, stamina, and magicka

Assult skills
War Horn->Aggressive Horn Nice for boss fights
Continuous Attack Increases damage and magicka and Stamina recovery
Reach means you can keep your distance from enemies
Combat Frenzy means more ultimate

Support skills
Combat Medic Increases healing
Battle Resurrection means less time getting your dps partner up

Breton skills
Opportunist More alliance points cool
Gift of Magnus More magicka
Spell Resistance More spell resistance
Magicka Mastery spells cost less

Professions
Choose any you want. I do Woodworking and Clothing because when I started my build I thought I would be crafting more of my gear than I do. I'm not much of a crafter so I know I will get some heat for this, but I decided to move my skill points so I only have them in expertise.

PvE gear
You will want Worm Cult and Spell Power Cure all light. Worm Cult is easy to grind for. Vault of Madness can actually be fun and somewhat easy. Spellpower Cure can be frustrating to get because you have to run White Gold Tower and it is not an easy dungeon. If you do not have a group that knows what they are doing and works as a team then you cannot finish it. I ran it on normal and upgraded my gear. It is well worth the frustration though. All my gear is legendary with legendary enchantments. I decided to transmute my staves to make them powered which increases healing done.
Head
Spell Power Cure Hat Light Divines Max Health
Shoulders
Spell Power Cure Epaulets Divines Max Magicka
Chest
Spell Power Cure Robe Divines Max Health
Hands
Gloves of the Worm Cult Divines Max Magicka
Waist
Spell Power Cure Sash Divines Max Magicka
Legs
Breeches of the Worm Cult Divines Max Health
Feet
Spell Power Cure Shoes Divines Max Magicka
Necklace
Necklace of the Worm Cult Arcane Magicka Recovery
Ring
Ring of the Ancient One Arcane Magicka Recovery
Ring
Ring of the Worm Cult Arcane Magicka Recovery
Restoration Staff
Maleficence Powered Absorb Magicka
Destruction Staff
Ruin Powered Absorb Magicka

PvP gear
This comes straight from the Vanadium build. I am still working on getting all of this gear, but I have most of it. I am also planning on trying out Chokthorn since I lucked out and got both pieces. There are others I am looking into, but the PvP build is a lot about Magicka sustain so Pirate Skeleton will probably be my first try.

Head
Pirate Skeleton
Shoulders
Pirate Skeleton
Chest
Seducer Heavy Impenetrable Tri Stat
Hands
Seducer Heavy Impenetrable Max Magicka
Sash
Legs
Seducer Heavy Impenetrable Tri Stat
Feet
Necklace
Lich Arcane Magicka Regen
Ring
Ring
Main Sword
Lich Defending Damage Shield
Shield
Lich Sturdy Max Stamina
Destruction Staff
Lich Lightning Sharpened Poison

Champion Points
This comes straight from Vanadium. There are some champion points better for PvP than PvE but as a healer you are still healing and the points are useful for both. You don't have to choose between melee and ranged damage as a healer.
Arcanist 64
Tenacity 64
Warlord 31
Shadow Ward 61
Blessed 75
Elfborn 61
Elemental Expert 37
Master-at-Arms 18
Spell Erosion 6
Thaumaturge 23
Elemental Defender 43
Hardy 43
Thick Skinned 61
Ironclad 61
Spell Shield 12

Food/Potions
Anything good with Magicka and health. If it has magicka, health, and stamina cool. I usually use Essence of Magicka in PvE and there are lots of food options you can choose from. If its going to be a challenging dungeon make sure whatever food you eat it will give you both max magicka and max health. If it is going to be an easy dungeon you probably will just need to eat something to raise your max magicka. My go to food is Longfin Pasty with Melon Sauce. It gives health, magicka, and stamina. Witchmother's Potent Brew is another great choice, but it offers less health and I don't need the magicka recovery it gives me.

PvE Skills on Main bar (Left to right)
Extended Ritual
Ally Ward-Restoration staff
Repetance
Healing Springs
Breath of Life
Rememberance

PvE Skills on 2nd Bar (Left to right)
Purifying Light
Luminous Shards
Repetance
Breath of Life
Elemental Drain-Destruction staff
Aggressive Horn

PvP Skills on bars This comes straight from Vanaevr except I prefer Solar Disturbance
1st Bar Sword and Board
Breath of Life
Channeled Focus
Inner Light
Repetance
Structured Entropy
Rememberance

2nd Bar Destruction Staff
Radiant Oppression
Elusive Mist
Inner Light
Aurora Javelin
Extended Ritual
Solar Disturbance

How do you play this build?/Mechanics

A Note on Vamparism: I like to stay in Stage 4 because you get all the benefits of being a vampire and since you are a healer, most of the drawbacks of being in those higher stages do not matter unless you are in a dungeon with lots of fire such as City of Ash 2. If I plan on being in a veteran dungeon with lots of fire, I lower my stage to stage 2.

PvE
The short answer is once you know what all of your spells do, its stupid easy as long as you pay attention to your teammates' health bars, but this is the fun part so lets go into more detail.

For normal and vet dungeons, you will use your restoration staff on your first bar for mob fights. You should try to get really close to the mobs that the tank is attacking right as each fight starts without getting too close and cast Extended Ritual then back up. This will heal the tank and anyone who is near the enemies. You should then use Ally Ward to put a shield around someone. At this point you should use Repetance to give everyone more health and stamina if you see some enemies are dead. Lastly use Healing Springs. Use Healing Springs if the group is only low on a little health. If they are low on a lot then use Breath of Life or if needed Rememberance. Repeat this rotation, but keep in mind, as a healer you should not stick to a set rotation. Know your spells and use them when appropriate. Earlier I said what I like about this build is that the spells and gear work well together. The Spell Power Cure 5 piece set bonus raises a player's dps when you heal them while they are at 100% health. If you notice that everyone is good and you don't expect any surprises, spam Healing Springs. It is a low cost AOE heal so you can get many players at once. Their damage will go up, which means everyone will benefit. If your magicka is low, which should be rare then do some heavy attacks. It will only take 1 to give you enough magicka to cast a Breath of Life and only 2 or 3 to get your magicka full again. You should also find a time mid-fight to throw Luminous Shards. It will help everyone. Throw them after doing all of the above once, then go back to doing the above 2 rotations, then throw them again and repeat.

For boss fights you will predominantly use your second bar. The reason to use your second bar is because your destruction staff allows you to use Elemental Drain and Elemental Rage. You want to keep Elemental Drain up on the boss and if possible some adds as well. You should start boss fights by casting Elemental Drain. Then cast Purifying Light on at least the boss, but you can try to put it on some adds as well. You want to keep both of these up on the boss as often as possible. Then cast Luminous Shards to give the dps and tank more resources and do a little damage. You should then use Repetance to give more resources to the tank and dps along with healing them if the boss has adds. If it does not then do not bother. Use Elemental Rage if there are a lot of adds. Breath of Life will be your only meaningful healing spell during boss fights. I have found that for boss fights players either do not take enough damage to benefit from any healing or they need big heals. Rarely do they need just a little healing in boss fights. If your teammates are not taking much damage then this would be a time that you make sure that you are keeping Elemental Drain and Purifying Light up and you can do some heavy attacks. Expect to be drinking some potions if it is a long fight and your teammates are getting slapped around. You should expect for there to be times that you will cast Breath of Life 3 or 4 times in a row. If you have that oh damn moment where you know if you do not do something amazing fast then your entire team will die then quickly switch to your 1st bar and cast Rememberance. You will usually not take any damage or very little and you will save everyone or most everyone. Everyone will call you the best healer ever.

For trials, I have only done one normal so far but your sustain will be good and its really boring. You just cast Healing Springs constantly and rarely use Breath of Life and Rememberance. I don't like trials and I don't need the gear, but the Healing Mage set is tempting.

Remember that healing is a bit of an art so do not fall in love with the rotations I explained, but keep them in mind because they will come in handy.

Traveling/Questing/Delves solo
I keep everything the same except I will pretty much only use my 2nd bar and replace Luminous Shards and Elemental Drain with Dampen Magic because you can run through delves without fighting anything and take almost no damage by just keeping Dampen Magic up. As the 2nd alternative spell, I will use either Reflective Light or Radiant Oppression. Your staff does enough damage to kill most NPCs in the world with just a few heavy attacks.

PvP
This is a link to the Vanadium build. She describes the mechanics perfectly and I do not have the experience with this part of the build yet to go indepth into that. http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/vanadium-healplar-build-pvp-vanady-y/
Edited by Odin1088 on January 5, 2018 1:37AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not trying or be mean or funny or anything, but you just described the most bog standard pve templar healer build.

Why are you using seducer and lich on the PvP build? You must have zero damage. There's a lot more that you could be doing for a PvP build. Seducer is fine, so is lich. Not both though. I'd recommend some sort of damage set. You don't need inner light on both bars. You have no spammable either. Like, what are you using to damage people?
    Edited by Brrrofski on September 28, 2017 7:52AM
  • Odin1088
    Odin1088
    I'm new to the forums. I don't know what bog means. I'm not sure how you were able to see what I wrote because I just finished and posted it like 20mins ago. I said its not anything revolutionary. The PvP part technically isn't my build but I'm trying it and it is meant to be with 1 or 2 other players who will do most of the damage. I like it but agree that solo, it doesn't do enough damage. The PvE part I took ideas from many sources. Its not my fault that I'm not the only one who does their homework. I appreciate the suggestions. I will look into the gear issue. I wrote this because new players should try to look at many builds and try different things out and find what they like in one and not like in it. I also wrote this because a guild member wants help with their PvE build for their Breton Templar healer so I wanted to write everything down.
    I appreciate the feedback, but this took a long time to write so I don't need the criticism with it.
    Edited by Odin1088 on September 28, 2017 8:35AM
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How do start off saying "this is my hybrid build" but then list 2 completely different builds, Neither of which are even hybrid builds.

This is hands down the longest and pointless forum post i have ever read.

You are just regurgitating simple information anyone who can login and read the skills would understand. Some of which is completely inacurrate.

You are so new to the game you thank someone's build for inner light now being on your healing bar? Like what?

If you want to try to share somthing maybe post some real footage of you healing vet content telling people about the boss mechanics. New players are always asking for these. Simply regurgitating metas without a single improvement to them is nonsensical.
  • Odin1088
    Odin1088
    One thing which both of you seem to ignore is the fact that I say "this is NOT revolutionary." The next part you seem to ignore is that comment #3 clearly says towards the bottom that I made this partially for a guild member so they can see my build. In addition, I posted this so I can see my build in its entirety since I am not far from completing it. I want to see everything laid out. I am playing this on an XBOX ONE. I cannot record myself and post it here. This is not two different builds. This is one character. Think of it like WoW if you have ever played that. You can dual spec, where people usually make a pve spec and a pvp spec. I am basically doing the same thing. I am sorry that I have not played this game for several years. I have played it for over a year and still learning small things. I never claimed to have a Ph.D in ESO. Instead of pissing on my post, you can just ignore it. Lastly, this is my build. For the PvE part, I took some people's advice, but I did not look up a build and copy that. For the PvP part, I did use someone else's build and that is why I gave them credit, but I tweaked a couple parts to work for me more, but according to their post, they did not setup their build with the intention of it being both PvP and PvE. They made it only PvP, but you can probably use it in PvE as they mentioned on one of the comments on their page, but I didn't even read the comments until I was already mostly done collecting the gear. I want to reiterate that you do not have to comment if all you are going to do is *** all over my post.
    Edited by Odin1088 on October 3, 2017 2:25AM
  • StealthyGemini
    StealthyGemini
    Soul Shriven
    1st off THANK YOU Odin. This is a good intro for a Templar Build. I didn't know how to go about it and now I do. This is an amazing start to understandimg and I think that was your point. Anyways thank you again!
  • Odin1088
    Odin1088
    Thank you. I hope this is a good starting point and you enjoy tweaking it to your play style.
    Edited by Odin1088 on December 22, 2017 11:56PM
  • icyslayergirl
    icyslayergirl
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you Odin as well. I have been trying to find a build that works for me. I will use some suggestions and perhaps not but appreciate the time you took to write out your ideas and suggestions. I for one appreciate this.

• Odin1088
    Odin1088
    Thank you Odin as well. I have been trying to find a build that works for me. I will use some suggestions and perhaps not but appreciate the time you took to write out your ideas and suggestions. I for one appreciate this.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Since the post, I have changed my build a lot in order to not just heal, but also be more utility (not damage) such as more CCs and etc. I still think this build is great for starting out if you are new to the game or new to healing, but there are overall better healing builds. I didn't just copy the meta for my new setup, but it gave me some ideas.