The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Extra character when sending ingame mail

SpiderCultist
SpiderCultist
✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed this has not been fixed yet and some times it can be somewhat annoying because you always have to delete one extra character every time you want to send a mail.

The problem is when sending an ingame mail to another player and want to insert an @ in the input box for the account or just a character's name, it is also inserted the character ´ (acute accent) before everything you type, automatically. Maybe it has to do with some keyboard layouts (mine is QWERTY-ES and ISO-8859-15 encoding).

Hope this gets fixed someday; it has been around ever since 2014.

EDIT:

Platform is PC in the European megaserver.

EDIT2:

Screenshot:

1huyatoza956.png
Edited by SpiderCultist on September 27, 2017 2:32PM
PC | EU
Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
"You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That has to be a keyboard layout/language encoding issue. I use both UK and US keyboards, and have never seen this.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also never had this happen before. If it has to do anything with the way your keys are mapped, you should be able to fix it with the software that came with your keyboard. I have had a defective keyboard in the past where pressing one key would register two, though. Maybe you're having a similar problem? Or (less likely, as I'm guessing you've paid special attention to this) are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the ' button yourself, as it's very very close to the SHIFT you may be using to get the @ character (in case of rightSHIFT+2) and it's pretty easy to hit them both accidentally?
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »
    I have also never had this happen before. If it has to do anything with the way your keys are mapped, you should be able to fix it with the software that came with your keyboard. I have had a defective keyboard in the past where pressing one key would register two, though. Maybe you're having a similar problem? Or (less likely, as I'm guessing you've paid special attention to this) are you sure you're not accidentally pressing the ' button yourself, as it's very very close to the SHIFT you may be using to get the @ character (in case of rightSHIFT+2) and it's pretty easy to hit them both accidentally?

It has happened on all the keyboards I've tried in the last 3 years and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the layout (QWERTY/Spanish), which is likely not to be supported well by the game, but it's still an annoyance to have to delete that extra character every time you type something in that input box.

I've just made another test:

https://imgur.com/a/Ndps6

That acute accent is always written in. I'm wondering if this is not actually supported and never will (since Spanish is not supported) or if anyone out there has a similar problem with non officially supported language keyboards (like Chinese, Romanian, Russian, etc.).

EDIT:
    By the way, thank you both for bumping and showing interest on this thread.

Edited by SpiderCultist on October 6, 2017 11:45AM
    PC | EU
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right, it could also be the case that ESO simply doesn't support your keyboard layout. You may be able to check that by changing the layout, for which I found a description here. If the problem no longer occurs after changing to a supported language then that is the problem. In that case, it's definitely worth pointing out to ZOS through a ticket.

I just checked my own keyboard layout settings (as my mother tongue is also unsupported) and when checking under the language that is currently active for my PC, as described in the link above, the linked keyboard is ' United States - International' (which doesn't differ from the actual setup of my keyboard nor does it use characters unfamiliar in my language, so thankfully this doesn't hinder me in any way). This MAY be the reason this bug isn't bothering me. You can add several keyboards to your language and make the supported-language one active when playing ESO. It may be a bit of a hassle IF the layout you've selected differs a lot from the Spanish layout (considering special characters used in Spanish), but it would solve the problem for now.

(You could also try asking this on the add-on section of the forums, to see if this is something that can be solved through an add-on. I'm aware of one add-on translating the game to Russian and I have seen a fair amount of Cyrillic in the in-game chat, so I wouldn't be surprised if these kinds of keyboard settings are included in the API as well.)
    Edited by Saturnana on October 6, 2017 12:10PM
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot @lnsane

I've added a new keyboard layout to Windows (English/US) but it has not worked either. Anyway, you gave me an idea:

The ingame Mail interface is bound by default to the same acute accent ( ´ ) character for Spanish keyboards. And there, is where the problem lies.

Somehow, that character is being passed to the mail interface and thus everything you type in that input box is preceded by the ´ character. So, as simple as it might be, a workaround is to bind another character for the ingame mail interface. In my case I've bound it to the < character (which is not bound to anything by default) and now it works as intended. Never thought of it until now, thanks!

And for the developers, I think the acute accent is the default character to open the mail interface for the Spanish keyboards. Maybe you should consider changing it to another character or parsing it so it cannot get to the mail interface.
    PC | EU
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wooo! Yay for workarounds. :smiley:
    Glad you got it working without any issues, and smart move to change the keybinding in-game.
    Would never have thought of that myself honestly. xD
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

- Sheogorath
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you managed to work things out. I wouldn't have thought of that, because I started playing on a Mac, where the mail key is #. When I switched to Windows, I simply remapped the controls.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
    Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50