The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Beginner's Guide To Understanding Gear Prices

Vimora
Vimora
✭✭✭✭
This is by no means a comprehensive guide. It's just meant to give you the very basics on what could be valuable and what's complete trash. There is no end to the people asking for MM prices on trash weapons, which makes me think people really don't know this information and hence this guide.

What makes a piece of gear valuable?

It's not the color. Purple gear can be complete trash and green gear can be very expensive. There are 3 things you wanna look at.
  1. Is it a good set? Are the set bonuses any good? Would you wanna use this for a specific role?
  2. What is the trait on the gear?
  3. Is the gear the right type for the set it represents.

Examples:
  1. A set that reduces the cost of your vampiric abilities or increases your vision range is trash, while a set that adds a lot of crit or weapon/spell damage might be valuable.
  2. Precise and sharpened weapons are expensive, because they add crit and weapon/spell penetration, while other traits render a weapon pretty much worthless. Divine and Infused armor is usually valuable, while others tend to be worthless.
  3. You need to be able to restore your primary stat with your weapon's light and heavy attacks. Magicka characters can do this with staffs, while stamina characters can do it with anything but staffs. This means if you find a staff with all stamina stats like weapon damage, stam recovery or max stamina, you won't be able to use it because it can't actually restore stamina. Similarly, a sword that has all magicka stats tends to be useless.

Finally, if you are trying to make money, you should find a better way than selling gear. 98% of landscape-dropped gear is trash, worth 1-2k at most and sell very slowly. For that 1-2% good drops the time investment is not worth it. If you must absolutely farm gear, figure out what the most sought-after sets are and where they drop. The most obvious examples that come to mind are Spriggan, Necropotence, Plague Doctor.

If you don't agree with this guide, leave a comment and I will correct myself as necessary.