Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GPU running at 100 celsius!

Moorbis
Moorbis
gpu GTX 760
cpu FX 4100
8 Go Ram
2560x1440 180p resolution monitor
Windows 10 pro 64x

Playing PC games puts my GPU on death row. It's not only with ESO. I monitored it's temperature while playing WoW and I get about the same results. I'm making this thread to ask what could be the cause of this. Is it possible that it's a problem with the card itself, a badly manufactured card, or could it be because the rest of my PC components are bottlenecking something. I'm ready to invest some money into this so any recommendation is welcome but not being very tech savy, I don't even know if buying a more recent gpu model will really help or just consume more power. Just so you know, the game runs flawlessly right now. I couldn't be happier with the textures and whatnot. I just know it will be short lived if I keep this up.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When mine was doing that, it was because there was a lot of dust accumulated inside the heat sink where my spray air could not reach it without disassembling the whole thing. I sprayed faithfully but if you have a very dusty environment, that crap will get inside of things and you have to pull it all open to clean. That was my solution, anyway (aside from having a very old computer that needed to be replaced anyway!).
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're probably best contacting the manufacturers support or posting on their forums.

If the issue isn't ESO alone then it would be better going directly to those with the knowledge. Someone in the ESO community might be able to help but it's probably going to take some trouble shooting and questions to get to the cause and you might end up with an "expert" helping who isn't actually much of an expert.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    Thanks for the reply!

I know that dust is the main culprit most of the time in these situations. It can make a 20 degree celsius difference in some cases. That's why I do dust it every other month. I don't think that it's the problem this time, sadly.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't give much advice. I understand some basics but not enough to troubleshoot fully.

Make sure your fans are working and that the temperature of other items are fine, dust as you've said with some compressed air to blow out any fans or try running games with lower settings.

Otherwise give Nvidia a poke and see what they say.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    @ Turelus.

Thanks for the tip! I will post on the NVIDIA forums right after this. Still, any insight is still welcome.
    I'd really like to know, for example, if buying a GTX 1060 will make things worst because of my old cpu, or if the opposite is true and it would lighten the load on my system.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moorbis wrote: »
    @ Turelus.

Thanks for the tip! I will post on the NVIDIA forums right after this. Still, any insight is still welcome.
    I'd really like to know, for example, if buying a GTX 1060 will make things worst because of my old cpu, or if the opposite is true and it would lighten the load on my system.

I don't think it would make a difference. More powerful GPUs usually produce more heat. And if your GPU overheats even playing WoW, it means it doesn't overheat because of struugling with the load. It's overheating for other reasons. I don't think Nvidia will have much useful to say either. I believe the issue is the airflow within and around your computer. I would open it and look rationally at what each fan is doing, where cool air comes from and where hot air is exited. There is a fair amount of good tutorial videos on YouTube about that.

• Moorbis
    Moorbis
    You might be right about that, anitajoneb17_ESO

My PC is sitting under my desk with very little space to breathe. And although I would very much like to change it's location to the side of my desk for ebtter air flow, I don't think the wires and cables are long enough! But you might be right. I'll definitely try to work something out.
  • danielclarkb16_ESO
    danielclarkb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like there’s not enough air circulation getting to your machine. You’ve already said that it’s quite boxed in so simply moving it somewhere where the air can get to it will probably solve your issue. Might be worth spraying your cooling fans with compressed air to get rid of the excess dust too. You may also want to look at a different case, it definitely helps if you have one where more hot air can escape naturally.
    Edited by danielclarkb16_ESO on September 26, 2017 9:54AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My hubby and I have every possible fan the case can hold. and usually open it up and blow the crap (dust) out at least once a month.

BTW we have 3 cats, 3 dogs and an insanely dusty house, so it's simple self-defense.

I have noted if we are late on our maintenance things get laggy rather quickly
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    Thanks all. I think I'll also buy a new fan for my gpu. And maybe a few for air flow too. Alongside with some dusting and a better spot in my room, I think I should be able to lower the temp by 15 degrees, hopefully. It's insane how very receptive to temperature changes these components can be.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I will say is that the 1060 will run a lot cooler than the 7 series. I don't know much about that CPU though. It might bottleneck the 1060.

Also, have you used MSI afterburner to adjust the GPU fan? Nvidia default fan profile is not ideal. Adjusting the fan profile to spin up faster might help.

Edit: I checked and the 760 max safe temp is 97, so I would not let it run long if it is exceeding 97.
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on September 26, 2017 10:16AM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lower your processor power to 99% . I fixed a friends that way . If you are running a overclock tool , stop . Open it up and clean all the dust out . Can of compressed air wil do . Make sure you have even flow of air on intake panels as well as clear flow behind exhaust ports .
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    @JasonSilverSpring, I have MSI Afterburner installed, but sadly I can't make heads or tails of it's UI. Diddling with my PC settings through that software might cause more harm than good when you're that good with technology lol. Also, I know that my cpu is pretty old. It's an entry gaming cpu, not meant for heavy loads. But if I replace it I would also need to replace my mobo, then probably my OS, then my games, and I'd need a stronger power supply I bet with all the new fans too. Might as well buy a new PC.

I'm using HW Monitor to scan my temperatures. I wonder if it's working properly though. The room temperature has lowered considerably and I also put a fan next to my open case... and the max temperature hasn't nudged by a single degree.

@Rohamad_Ali, I don't overclock. I wouldn't know where to start. But I'll do the other recommendations for sure.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JasonSilverSpring, I have MSI Afterburner installed, but sadly I can't make heads or tails of it's UI. Diddling with my PC settings through that software might cause more harm than good when you're that good with technology lol. Also, I know that my cpu is pretty old. It's an entry gaming cpu, not meant for heavy loads. But if I replace it I would also need to replace my mobo, then probably my OS, then my games, and I'd need a stronger power supply I bet with all the new fans too. Might as well buy a new PC.

I'm using HW Monitor to scan my temperatures. I wonder if it's working properly though. The room temperature has lowered considerably and I also put a fan next to my open case... and the max temperature hasn't nudged by a single degree.

@Rohamad_Ali, I don't overclock. I wouldn't know where to start. But I'll do the other recommendations for sure.

MSI Afterburner can be confusing. But, I would suggest trying first on the main screen to set the fan speed to 100%. You should hear it audibly spin up to max speed and it will lock at that speed until you set it back to auto. Then see how the temps go with fan at max speed. If temps still hit high 90s/100 then your fins are probably clogged or something else is physically wrong. If the fans do not get audibly loud, then you might have a faulty fan which would definitely explain the temps.
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    I put my PC on my desk for better airflow. After 1 minute the gpu was already at 98 degrees.
    I don't think the problem is airflow anymore. I'll buy a couple of extra fans, but I'm starting to think my gpu is a lemon.
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    How long have you had that GPU? Did you buy it used? Either way, shut your PC down completely, remove the GPU and use canned air to blow out the heatsink fins directly. Stick the plastic straw on the can right up to the fins and drag it along, givving it all a good blast. (Hold onto the fan with a finger or thumb while you do it; overspeeding it with the air spray isn't good for the bearings.) Stick the plastic straw down between the fan blades and blow out some more. You may have some dust really clogged in there. Then put it back in the PC and try again.

Also, the 760 is a few years old now. The thermal compound between the GPU and the heat sink may be drying out and performing poorly. It can be replaced by disassembling the heatsink from the card to clean off the old stuff and re-apply new, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a skilled DIYer or system builder. GPU heatsinks can be a lot more fiddly than fairly standardized CPU heatsinks.

-60 series cards are less-powerful, budget cards, as such, their heatsink designs are often not as robust and will perform poorly as dust builds up deep in the fins. Combine that with lower-performance thermal compound or adhesive pads to transmit heat to the heatsink, and they can start overheating pretty quick if they hit a tipping point for bad heat transfer.
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    I went to the shop and I just bought a new card. I'm short on cash and I did not want to spend money just to be told that it was broken. So I skipped step 1 and jumped to step 2 right away. I bought a GTX 1050ti. But yeah, the problem could have been fixed. It was dust. Lots and lots of dust. I think it made the fan useless. I should have followed your advice, UnseenCat and Miynassa. I'm just not good with my hands I guess. So now I have two cards and an empty wallet heh.
  • Moorbis
    Moorbis
    But the good news is that my new card is running at a cool 60 degrees, max temperature :)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous that it's working.
    Edited by idk on September 27, 2017 7:45PM
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, one of the reasons I love Antec cases. Lots of fan mounts and FILTERS!!!

This is the case I use..There's a filter on the bottom by the powersupply intake and another one on the front. Both snap out for easy cleaning.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129199

Edited by PlagueSD on September 27, 2017 9:29PM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the good news is that my new card is running at a cool 60 degrees, max temperature :)

Glad you are back up and running. Enjoy that 1050 Ti
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you're up and running. The 1050Ti should be fine for ESO and a lot of other games on reasonable graphics settings, and it's probably less power-hungry, too! Enjoy!