Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Huge crowns price hike?

Darethran
Darethran
✭✭✭
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26441/~/how-much-do-crown-packs-cost?

https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store/product/5500_crowns?_ga=2.151757435.336915706.1502715614-1612237442.1488207696

For some capitalist odd reason, the crown packs on the store are much more expensive than what the knowledgebase states. And it seems that ZOS upped the price after the previous crown sale (which still costed higher than the original non-sale prices). Paying £20 for two DLC seems fair, but £30? Nah man.

Edit: Ah, how quaint, a staff member changed the answer on the knowledge base to just say "Hey go to the store".

The webpage used to say that the max number of crowns, 5,500, cost 21 quid. Now they're over 30.
Edited by Darethran on September 28, 2017 1:31AM
In Scotland | @Darethran

[EU] Ervona Saranith (EP) - Lvl 50 CP >560 - Dunmer Healer
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, your links show the correct information for a decent number of us. Those of us in the USA see the USD value for the 5500 crown pack since it is our native currency.

As for the knowledge base it probably has a lower priority for being updated.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price was raised for some countries, but not others, probably having to do with changes in the exchange rates between currencies.

Edited by SydneyGrey on September 25, 2017 4:50AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Price was raised for some countries, but not others, probably having to do with changes in the exchange rates between currencies.
    This was indeed the reason, Gina confirmed it in another thread.
    Hey, everyone. From time to time, we need to update the pricing for some of our products to reflect the current exchange rates. Crown Packs were due for an update as we haven’t adjusted the prices since they were released, and as such, the prices for some territories have either increased or decreased.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajinCry wrote: »
    For some capitalist odd reason, the crown packs on the store are much more expensive than what the knowledgebase states. And it seems that ZOS upped the price after the previous crown sale (which still costed higher than the original non-sale prices). Paying £20 for two DLC seems fair, but £30? Nah man.

buycrowncrates_tx6u5v.jpg

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this is sickening. I was about to buy some more crowns for when the new crown crates come out but I guess I won't bother now.

I'll gladly spend money but I refuse to be treated like a muppet.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Darethran
    Darethran
    ✭✭✭
    It might make sense if these were actual objects that had some odd tax dependent on the exchange rate, but that ain't what's being sold.
    In Scotland | @Darethran

[EU] Ervona Saranith (EP) - Lvl 50 CP >560 - Dunmer Healer
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah well this stopped me from buying more crowns

Combined with Crates bad RNG, it is a good saving
  • kapads
    kapads
    Soul Shriven
    yeah I noticed this a few days ago and wont buy any more until there is a sale or price goes down
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think I have reason to ever buy Crowns again. If they're going to get greedier and greedier then I'll spend less and less. I just don't approve of these annoying tactics to get people to spend real money.

All of the homes they release post-Homestead have been Crown-only and almost all of them Manors. Buoyant Armiger has a bugged drop rate (almost two patch later, still bugged) that makes it insanely difficult to acquire even a single page, yet this motif is being handed out in the newest batch of Crown Crates. Increased Crown costs and likely decreased sale price of the previously highest-amount Crown packs (like the 5500 pack). There are so many different signs.

Unless a DLC releases with a trial or a medium-sized home in a snowy environment comes out, I highly doubt I will ever buy Crowns again.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I honestly don't think I have reason to ever buy Crowns again. If they're going to get greedier and greedier then I'll spend less and less. I just don't approve of these annoying tactics to get people to spend real money.

All of the homes they release post-Homestead have been Crown-only and almost all of them Manors. Buoyant Armiger has a bugged drop rate (almost two patch later, still bugged) that makes it insanely difficult to acquire even a single page, yet this motif is being handed out in the newest batch of Crown Crates. Increased Crown costs and likely decreased sale price of the previously highest-amount Crown packs (like the 5500 pack). There are so many different signs.

Unless a DLC releases with a trial or a medium-sized home in a snowy environment comes out, I highly doubt I will ever buy Crowns again.

Gina posted that the exchange rate on currencies changed. Not sure that was has anything to do with greed.
    Edited by SirAxen on September 28, 2017 7:41AM
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAxen wrote: »

Gina posted that the exchange rate on currencies changed. Not sure that was has anything to do with greed.

You think they'll lower the prices again once the exchange rates improve?
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »

Probably not
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »

Well Gina's post does mention decrease. But, I am not sure if it did decrease for any country.

It will likely be a while before they adjust pricing again.

For those posting about it being digital goods they still need to convert that sale to US currency since they are based in US.
  • Geroken777
    Geroken777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    This was indeed the reason, Gina confirmed it in another thread.
    Hey, everyone. From time to time, we need to update the pricing for some of our products to reflect the current exchange rates. Crown Packs were due for an update as we haven’t adjusted the prices since they were released, and as such, the prices for some territories have either increased or decreased.

And so for which countries has it actually decreased?
    The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
  • wondertroll
    Yes, I too feel that the price hike for the crown store was unaccounted for.

People who live in different countries have different Purchasing Power Parity, and they should do a more accurate scaling when modifying exchange rates for the people who live in that country. Exchange rate differences should not be so drastic as to cause a 200% increase in crown prices overnight =/
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed the price has increased in Australia. It's increased juuuust enough that I won't be buying any more.

For the record, I buy approx 8 x 5500 packs of crowns per month. Maybe my lack of $320 per month from now on won't be missed. But I won't buy crowns now unless they're on sale.

Exchange rates or not, crown purchases are pretty much always for cosmetic items. The sale of crowns is not an income they rely on to run the game. ZoS is just being greedy.
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed the price has increased in Australia. It's increased juuuust enough that I won't be buying any more.

For the record, I buy approx 8 x 5500 packs of crowns per month. Maybe my lack of $320 per month from now on won't be missed. But I won't buy crowns now unless they're on sale.

Exchange rates or not, crown purchases are pretty much always for cosmetic items. The sale of crowns is not an income they rely on to run the game. ZoS is just being greedy.

If sales of crowns is not income used to fund the game, what is? I would argue that crown sales is the main income source for ZOS. I strongly suspect that crown sales exceeds ESO+ sales.

ZOS is a for profit company. Why are they suddenly greedy if they want to receive roughly the same amount after they convert Australian sales into US currency?
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    I would argue that crown sales is the main income source for ZOS.

I said it's not an income they RELY on. The sales of crowns is not guaranteed and not something a company can base financial decisions on.

Greed is a selfish and excessive desire for more of something (such as money) than is needed. If the extra funds received by way of crown sales showed itself via some in-game improvements, then I guess the majority of the player base would say that's a worthwhile investment.

But it doesn't. Where does all the extra money go? I'd LOVE to see ZoS's financial data for the last 12 months. The content brought out now is no different to what would be released on their previous budget. So yes, I would say it is greed.
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that they won't adjust pricing again until they can think of another poor reason to increase it.

Prices never decrease.
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience in MMOs cash shops are more profitable than subscriptions. $15/mo is an absolute joke. Over my 15 years in the genre I had hundreds of acquaintances in many games that would easily drop over $200 a month. Dozens would drop even thousands and they would display it in game as well. Those trash FB games makes millions on that business model.

If I owned a business I'd go for the higher figures, as it is the job of a businessperson to procure the highest value for their stockholders and responsability to his employees to make the company as profitable as possible in order to everyone profit. This is real capitalism. Also let me remind you that prices are driven by consumer demand. I saw many Frostmeres roaming the land when they came at whopping 4,000 crowns. I also saw many Elks roaming the land when they came at 5k or 6k Crowns.

Guess what? If a bunch of people are feeding me $40 for a reskin done in 5 minutes, hell yeah! I'm making more of it. If you truly want to see lower prices, sales or cheaper/better products, boycott with your wallet. It's elegant, effort free and very effective.

As for the currency rates, that is something outside my expertise. I'd say the fairest way would be price according to how many dollars they expect to get from their product and make sure every purchase outside the country delivers them the final amount of dollars without losing on taxes or exchange rates.

Finally, if we have anything today is because someone was a greedy pig in the past and pushed mankind and technology to the max amounts of profits. Capitalism is what drove civilization to progress. And we got plenty of leverage with ZOS. They aren't providing food, medical supplies or anything we need in order to survive. It's not even pay to win, it's straight up cosmetics.
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's what I don't understand. If they had to increase crown prices due to exchange rates, why didn't they increase the monthly sub and the cost of actual game? Exchange rates my ass.

• O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought 5500 crowns for £23.99. Which I'm pretty sure they've always been this price, looking back on my purchase history they have been anyway. I've never seen 5500 crowns cost over £30 lol
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erm, UK prices are £29.99 for 5500 crowns. And have been since the end of the last crown sale.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inflation has remained at all time lows with the U.S. Dollar for years . Improvements since 2008 after the 2006 housing crash have been held at a low rate intentionality by the Fed . There has been no significant rise in the markets to suggest between 2014 and 2017 a need to reevaluate the currencies exchange on the U.S. Side . Stable at under 2% all through 2016 and each quarter of 2017 . If someone at ZoS thought the value of the dollar declined and pricing needed to be adjusted , they need to go back to high school . Now if they raised prices just to make more money , that's fine but this is a false narrative blaming updates on prices to reflect market value .
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's what I don't understand. If they had to increase crown prices due to exchange rates, why didn't they increase the monthly sub and the cost of actual game? Exchange rates my ass.

Maybe it will come but it is different to change prices on one time purchases than a subscription someone has already signed up for. Plus, I think most of their revenue is from crown sales so maybe they lose a little on base game purchase but make it up in crown sales.
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    I just bought 5500 crowns for £23.99. Which I'm pretty sure they've always been this price, looking back on my purchase history they have been anyway. I've never seen 5500 crowns cost over £30 lol

U think thats bad lol, Try South Africa.

At the exchange rate of 1 Rand = 16.14 Euro, you be looking at Paying R 387.19 for 5500 crowns (23 Euro).
    Thats quarter the price of the ESO game.

Put that into prospective. If A South African wants to go to UK for example with say R 30 000 then it will only be worth 16 000 Pounds.

Now lets turn that on its head. Should someone from UK come to South Africa with 30 000 pounds then it will be worth
    R 546 345.00 (Thats over a half a million Rands)

No wonder when tourist come to South Africa they laugh all the way to the bank.

PS4 EU
    Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
    Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
    Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
    Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
    I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
    The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
    LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't stop me buying crowns completely but it will decrease the number of crown store items I'm willing to buy and therefore the amount of crowns I need to buy them.

When I'm considering buying an item I always work out what it would cost me in real money and consider whether it's worth it. This just made every crown store item more expensive, meaning fewer of them will be worth it to me.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »
    Erm, UK prices are £29.99 for 5500 crowns. And have been since the end of the last crown sale.

£23.99, like they always have been lmao I bought some yesterday. And the time before that, £23.99. On the store today, guess what, £23.99.

Not sure how people are paying £30 for them in the UK.
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it depends on where you buy them? Here's a screen shot of the official sites crown store (the one linked at the top of this page), taken just now:

yGsY8z9.jpg

I followed right through to putting payment details in to make sure the price didn't change, since there have been typos on the store before.

Edit: Interestingly all versions of the game (Morrowind + base game, Morrowind Collectors + base game, Gold Edition & base edition) and ESO Plus are still the same price as they were before. Is there a different exchange rate for virtual currency to other products?
    Edited by Danikat on October 3, 2017 8:43PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    Also note the 14000 and 21000 packs are new additions, the original cap per purchase was the 5500 pack
    The bulk saving is minimal...
    14000 = 5500x2+3000 so the 14000 is only £3.98 GBP cheaper.
    As for the 21000, it's 1000 short of the 22000 (5500x4) and is cheaper than 5500x4 by £9.97
    But that makes the missing 1000 worth £9.97 but the 1500 pack now costs £10.99
    500 difference (£1.02) but 750 for £5.99 then doesn't compute.

IMHO they should have added a 22000 (5500x4) pack instead of the 21000 making the choice easier.

I have a thought on the crates too, to improve ESO RNG for the current crown prices I'd drop the common tier and most of the fine one and reshuffle the remaining tiers
    The crate only Apex for 800's the current Apex tier as Legendary 400's the motifs going for 200 their own tier and shuffle the rest down, 100's 40's 16's and the 16's tier can have the remaining crate only consumables, the ones you can't buy directly in the crown store.
    • 800 Apex - Old Crate Locked Apex
    • 400 Legendary - Old Apex Mounts
    • 200 Epic - Old Legendary Motifs
    • 100 Superior - Old Legendary
    • 40 Fine - Old Epic
    • 16/5 Common - Old Superior (Etc.)
    This would be a huge improvement reducing the amount of garbage to be recycled, whilst retaining the gem cost/collection ratio.