The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Housing Depression

auronessb16_ESO
auronessb16_ESO
✭✭✭
I've been in a guild for a little over a month now, but finally took the time to check out the Guild Hall, which was the Guild Founders home. Sometimes the guild will claim a castle in Cyrodil and open a store. There aren't any events, and no dues, no real activity, just an open bank and the store. I admit I was expecting something really cool when I realized the Guild Hall was Hunding's Palatial Hall. I love the area and the exterior, plus it's right there on a newbie island.

The whole place was empty. Not a single bowl, table or chair. No plants, no rocks, no banners. Just a very large, empty building and grounds. It was clean, so it's not like an abandoned building or a ruin, but it was still really depressing. 1.3 million gold and nothing really to show for it. I checked, and the guild founder hasn't even been online for 23 days. I don't know what happened, but to think of spending all that time to get the gold or buying crowns, starting a guild, and then not able to be around and enjoy any of it.

This got me to thinking about my houses and apartments. I bought several of the smaller ones, mostly as a cheap way to get out of dungeons, or get my newer characters into a province that haven't been to yet. A few banners tossed in here and there, maybe a trophy on the wall, and a throne (they were free!). Overall, I spent 100K+ for private wayshrines. I am a solo player, so there isn't really any incentive to make the homes look nice for anyone else. After Hearthfire in Skyrim and the building in Fallout 4, I was really hoping for more. I wonder how many others have broken dreams?

For all of you who have the time and gold to make great looking houses, I admire you. The creativity and beauty of some homes is amazing. Someday I hope to have homes, that are more important than wayshrines.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homestead is expensive for newer players. But when you get to endgame, money grows on trees. :tongue: Let me know if you need tips on how to make gold.

I've spent probably over 5+ million on housing so far. One of my guild mates has spent 100+ million.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 25, 2017 12:32AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have every non-DLC and non crown store house in the game, all bought with gold, and have changed my primary residence 3 or 4 times. I moved it to Hundigs Palatial Hall over the weekend, before that it was Ebonhart Chateau and before that it was Daggerfall Manner.

I am not that heavily into decorating, my main aim is to have a place with all of my crafting tables and I keep outgrowing the space. I have 4 attuned sets, the 3 provisioning tables, a target skeleton and my fishing boat (Master Angler achievement). The large area at the rear of Hundigs has loads of open space to place these and more - which I intend to get.

I am yet to move all furnishings across, I always set up table and chairs, a bedroom suite, loads of seats, all three alliance shields and assorted paintings and banners, throw some lights up and some rugs on the ground. As far as the exterior goes, I have a well, a large boat anchor and winch, my scale model of Vvardenfell and assorted other stuff that I can put out.

Maybe I am more into furnishing my houses than I realised ........but it is just something that I come back and do when I am not focused on other activities. I never expected to get into the housing but I enjoy it more than I thought I would.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • auronessb16_ESO
    auronessb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you with all the houses and stuff, how much time have you invested in the game? Just curious if this level of "end game" is 2 years or 5 years or ???
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the decorating of multiple homes just comes from enjoying decorating in general. I and other players who decorate all of their houses carefully and with detail (I'm guessing) just like design. When I was younger I'd play games dedicated to ONLY decorating houses/rooms
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you with all the houses and stuff, how much time have you invested in the game? Just curious if this level of "end game" is 2 years or 5 years or ???

It costs around 25 million gold to buy all the houses in the game, and probably another 10-15 million to decorate them all (furniture has gotten a lot cheaper than it was when Homestead launched).

You can make ~1 million gold/week just farming mats for 1-2 hours a day. If you get into flipping items (that is buying things low, selling high), you can make several million a week in profit (although it's very time consuming). You need to be in at least 2-3 good trading guilds to make money quickly (good locations are Rawlk'ha, Belkarth, Mournhold, Wayrest, and Elden Root).

I've been playing for a year and I've earned over 10 million gold in the game, and I don't farm/flip that much. If you really get into it, you can definitely make a lot in a very short amount of time.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on September 25, 2017 1:37AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many others have broken dreams?

For all of you who have the time and gold to make great looking houses, I admire you. The creativity and beauty of some homes is amazing. Someday I hope to have homes, that are more important than wayshrines.

I'm sorry you are down. As for weird creativity, feel free to PM me in game with a friend request ... er if you are NA PC... and come visit Broken Branch Toothmaul's Goblin Castle of Awesomeness (also known as Humblemud). It's on @eglantinerose and it's not so much fancy as nicely weird as befits the Goblin who lives there.
    But when you get to endgame, money grows on trees..

I've been playing since about 2 months after PC release. I've never had more than 75k ever, unless it was borrowed from a couple of sweeties (you know who you are :)

I guess I'm not at endgame yet. Not really in a hurry, either.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @MLGProPlayer has the statistics about right, about 25 mil for all gold purchasable housing (base game). Not sure about the furnishings because I don't buy any of that stuff.

I have been playing for 2 years now but did not get into trading for the first year - just had too many other things to do. I have always had a reasonable amount of gold, mostly because I always made all my own armour, food and potions but I only started trading when Homestead was announced and have now spent the 25 million for all the houses.

Having said that, I admit to spending anywhere between 30 and 40 hours a week playing (I've been married over 20 years, what else is there in life ;) ).

I can comfortably make over 500k a week simply selling stuff I have collected and things I pick up while doing writs, questing etc. I have often made more in a week but to regularly make more than that every week would require me to spend less time doing other things and more time farming for things to sell - which I am not prepared to do.

While ZOS keep introducing more content and more houses, I guess I'll have to keep making gold to buy them. I am nearing 3 million again on my way to getting the DLC houses now, probably have them just in time for the next DLC and new houses to drop!!!!
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best part about this game is you don't need to be at end game lvl to make great gold. Just have to be committed to it. Lvl up all crafts while you grind by decon gear then once you get the passives to improve chance for better tempers to drop start farming. Pick up a ton up wood ores and silks then refine. Sell all the stuff! So easy to make money in this game lvl does not matter.

To fill up ur home will cost a lot about 3x as much as the cost of the home. If you want a huge home like the manors about 3.5mil then about another 10 mil will make it look really nice. Refining every day and farming every day can get you about 500-700k a week. Plus exp while you farm killing stuff. So about 5 months of focus farming and selling can get you the home of ur dreams.

It's even cheaper if you find blueprints and save all the housing mats you get while farming and just craft all the furniture. Also there is other options then buying very expensive items. Trees and rocks go for 100g in some vendors.

Also some basic stuff like stools and boxes can be bought very cheap. I've seen some guy use only the normal furniture items that cost 100g each and made a very awesome home was very creative.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on September 25, 2017 5:22AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The novelty factor in housing is OP as hell.

I wondered a house for 6 months. Finally caved in. Fiddled with furniture for about an hour.

Realized there is nothing else to do in one at all. No function. Never been back.

We bought one as a Guild Hall. Got the crafting stations, wanted it as a hub, bit with no Writ boards / Writ hand in points / Guild Bank / Guild Store access. NO ONE USES IT.

^ make the above happen so a guild can father together to do the basics and bump into each other and it would be epic.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    The novelty factor in housing is OP as hell.

I wondered a house for 6 months. Finally caved in. Fiddled with furniture for about an hour.

Realized there is nothing else to do in one at all. No function. Never been back.

We bought one as a Guild Hall. Got the crafting stations, wanted it as a hub, bit with no Writ boards / Writ hand in points / Guild Bank / Guild Store access. NO ONE USES IT.

^ make the above happen so a guild can father together to do the basics and bump into each other and it would be epic.

this is weird, because the guilds I'm in that have crafting stations - have people in it all the time. sometimes crafting for themselves, sometimes crafting for master writs - I mean.. its so much more convenient then having to shlep your way to, I don't know - imperial city, just to craft a single piece for a writ...

yes, functionality could be better. both in terms of what houses do as well as how many people can be in them at the same time, but... and I guess it depends on what kind of guild you are in, I'm still seeing them utilized even in their current limited state
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing NEEDS storage . That's the purpose of a house in every other MMO I've ever stepped for in . Guild houses should have guild access storage . That would solve half the boredom and lack of use .
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Linaleah a trading guild I am in has the key named sets and i agree ill go in, craft, leave rather than travel to a set. But it's rarely got anyone in and it's a popular active guild.

Our guild I referee to is smaller, but still the point was a daily hub. No one crafts there as there are better hubs that have it all. Why use the guild hall but then need to travel to a bank for guild bank / store. We have all the stock stations, dye etc but why travel twice

Bal Foyen has it all under one roof as an example

We wanted a place the guildies would all use as a hun and bump into one another

If Guild Assistant dropped id happily pay 10k Crowns to fix this problem
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it could definitely be a LOT better. no argument there - up to and including having those be actualy guild houses, rather then someone's house designated as guild house. I guess I just wanted to point out that in some cases at least - its not left empty and bereft. it gets utilized. not as much as one might liked, but more then nothing.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll agree with others that storage is a big fail for housing - that was the major benefit of owning homes in Skyrim. I'd also like it if your friends could select which of your houses to travel to, rather than only your primary residence.

Having all of the houses gives me lots of free jump points when I am doing daily quests and going to different places in a hurry - better a free travel to one of my homes than pay several hundred gold to get to a wayshrine (never going to make money by throwing it away like that).

The other benefit for me is that all of my characters have fast access to every area, whether they have been there or not. I know you can travel to guild mates or friends in 'undiscovered' areas but having all of the houses makes it easier.