The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Gear: How much should I care?

Moro-Murasaki
I played this game a while back and have access to a lot of resources and crafting abilities but especially with how scaling works now I wonder how much keeping my gear up to date even matters. I'm CP 282 so once I hit 50 I can jump into some 160 crafted gear to farm but should I be making myself gear incrimentally or is it okay to just use what I find to make it to 50? If you think I should be crafting new gear how frequently?

I mostly don't want to be a burden to people I get in daily random dungeon runs. I main healer if that matters.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run normal group dungeons for leveling you should think a bit for gear, I say new armor around every 10-15 level and weapons every 5-7,
    Keeping gear close to your level is pretty important and you will not get enough for sets doing random dungeons, that is you will out level the set before you finish one.
    Other benefit is that with training trait you will level up faster.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you understand the game mechanics you can get to 50 wearing lvl 20 gear. Just wear what you have until your toon can wear cp160 gear. It depends on what you like to do though; if you're running dungeons as a pug some would say you have a responsibility to be as good as you can be, which would mean wearing gear at your level. But honestly, unless this is true for you, or you're struggling, just save your mats till you hit 50.
    PC | EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battle-leveling scales your stats from your gear. I usually find that if running with a max-level DPS partner, my leveling toon can have armor that is 10-15 levels lower that her level without suffering unduly. However, if I try to solo content, about the time my armor is 10 levels out of date I start to get really squishy and start dying very easily.

My advice is to keep your gear within about 10 levels of your current level, though player skill and understanding of the mechanics can stretch that farther. If you notice yourself struggling to stay alive more than you were in the past, take that as a sign that you need to upgrade your armor.
  • Moro-Murasaki
    Thanks guys! Overall this seems like it isn't something I have to be too concerned about right now.

I appreciate the feedback.