The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

StamPlar vs MagDK for PvE

Texecutioner187
Texecutioner187
✭✭✭
I'm debating between these two classes next. I do want a stam build to possible do a dual wield/2h(is this possible for PvE?), but I also wouldn't mind a DK that has 23k+whips(friend of mine). Can anyone identify pro's and con's? Which does more damage? Better sustain/survivability?
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Higher DPS - stamplar
    Better survivality - magDK
    better sustain - depends
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Higher DPS - stamplar
    better sustain - depends

Survivability goes to magDK, really? How so with templar having self healing like BoL?
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgruberman wrote: »
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Higher DPS - stamplar
    better sustain - depends

Survivability goes to magDK, really? How so with templar having self healing like BoL?

BoL is magicka based ability scaling from max magicka and spell dmg both which stamina based characters lacking. Dk have heals from whips (if using proper morph) , burning embers (basicly as strong as BoL) ,light armor shield , using ultimates etc while stamplar have just Vigor and optional Repentence when there are some corpses to use it on supported by Deadly Cloak which reduces some part of incoming dmg but not negating it entirely.
    Edited by Juhasow on September 21, 2017 1:47AM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Understandable. Does DK still have ability to use those skills if gone stam? I'm really wanting to go Stam if possible but still maintain decent survivability... But ALL of those for MagDK sound pretty nice.
  • beetleklee
    beetleklee
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main is a MagDK and you have access to a lot of self heals. Burning Embers, Coagulated Blood, Deep Breath/Draw Essence, and Flame Lash can also heal you.

Sustain is an issue, MagDK's skills cost a lot. If I'm paired with a MagSorc and Elemental Drain is run, I can sustain for ages since my Power Lash will proc a lot on their Lightning blockade and Liquid Lightning (I lose DPS if I run shock blockade instead of fire blockade, despite more power lash uptime *shrugs*)

If I'm not, I gasp for magicka. I always run a Max Health + Magicka Regen food (sadly Witchmother's Brew doesn't put me as close to the 17k health mark)

I'm also a vamp which helps a bit and being a Dunmer helps with the fire weakness.

Not sure on Stamplar, never played one. I did run with one for the vet HoTR dungeons and he did amazing DPS but he was also 900 CP vs me being under 400 CP.

MagDK is really fun though and has some cool looking skills. Stam DPS is in a better place this patch DPS wise though.
    PC NA
    CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
    EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
    EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
    EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
    EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
    EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
    DC Redguard Stamplar
    AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not go stam dk? Amazing dps, coagulating blood self heal, volatile armor for resistance buff, can still use deadly cloak and vigor for extra heals and damage reduction PLUS you get to chain things and leap around the place ftw.

For best survivability as stam you can try stam warden if you have the option. They are fun to play and can do decent dps aswel. Best self heals, damage buffs and reaistance buffs available to stamina character imo.

Stamplar however if you chose to play is fine for survivability. With repentance and vigor for heals and regen, rune focus for resistance buff, javelin for ranged cc, ritual for cleanse and biting jabs to shred *** up its fun and tough aswel.
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Haquor wrote: »
    Why not go stam dk? Amazing dps, coagulating blood self heal, volatile armor for resistance buff, can still use deadly cloak and vigor for extra heals and damage reduction PLUS you get to chain things and leap around the place ftw.

For best survivability as stam you can try stam warden if you have the option. They are fun to play and can do decent dps aswel. Best self heals, damage buffs and reaistance buffs available to stamina character imo.

Stamplar however if you chose to play is fine for survivability. With repentance and vigor for heals and regen, rune focus for resistance buff, javelin for ranged cc, ritual for cleanse and biting jabs to shred *** up its fun and tough aswel.

Thank you, that was helpful! I think I just primarily want a stam build that isn't sorc(because I have one) that does comparable DPS to other builds and can(ideally, not required) use a two handed sword(it looks fun). I feel like bashing on some stuff and don't want to suffer as one of the stam classes that is weaker than another. What do you think would be best?
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thank you, that was helpful! I think I just primarily want a stam build that isn't sorc(because I have one) that does comparable DPS to other builds and can(ideally, not required) use a two handed sword(it looks fun). I feel like bashing on some stuff and don't want to suffer as one of the stam classes that is weaker than another. What do you think would be best?

If you're going DW/2H on a stam toon you're giving up the most powerful skill available to stam, Endless Hail.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

If you're going DW/2H on a stam toon you're giving up the most powerful skill available to stam, Endless Hail.

I wouldn't be doing both... I'd be doing one or the other.