The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Laptop advice needed.

KingofAnnwn
KingofAnnwn
✭✭✭
Howdy folks,
I think this is the most relevant section :D

Anyway, I'm after a new laptop. I'd like to spend no more than £1000 if possible. I have no idea what to go for anymore. It's been over a decade since I last bought anything high spec lol.

It will primarily be for gaming, but i will be doing some admin work for my job.

Any recommendations? Which manufacturer is the one of choice? I've always had AMD in the past, but have heard Intel have surpassed them now with regards to bang for your buck.

Thanks in advance,

Seán
Edited by KingofAnnwn on September 20, 2017 8:31PM
Xbox One (Very Rare)
DC - Gwenhwyfar Gwraig - Redguard Vamp Stamplar
DC - Kiarina Florcht - Redguard Stamden
PC
AD - Lilwen Haf - Altmer Mag Sorc
EP - Tarmena Diloren - Dunmer Magblade
DC - Eletti Ghellon - Redguard Stamblade
PS5
DC - Arianwen Adahl - Breton Magcro
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about computers but I know a desk top is more powerful than what you will get with a laptop especially for bang for your buck. But if you want a laptop, I am really happy with my MSI 4E 6QD Apache Pro laptop. The graphics is an Nvidia GTX 960M. It's not top of the line but plays ESO pretty good for me.

It costed me about $1300 with a $200 discount. That is in Canadian funds, so not sure what 1000 pounds will get you. So maybe start looking there and see what comes up for you.

What I would be looking for is minimum 16 gigs of memory. 2 gigs of memory minimum for your graphic card. DO NOT GO FOR Intel. THEY ARE NOT BETTER THAN AMD. Get AMD or Nvidida. I am more familiar with Nvidia so can't say if AMD is good or not. If you get an Intel graphic card only, you may as well kiss good buy to gaming. Also get some kind of i7 processor. So many versions, not sure what to say but get the current i7 version. Not sure if there is something better. If you can get an SSD that will help as well. (Solid State drive) I have both in my laptop. It boots up really fast. Sadly ESO will not fit on my SSD drive, since I have a small one SSD but still plays fine on the regular hard drive.

Hope this helps till you get some better advice.
    Edited by Davor on September 20, 2017 8:39PM
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • KingofAnnwn
    KingofAnnwn
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, I forgot to say, im getting a laptop as I'll be working away from home on a weekly basis so I'd like something that can kill the boredom of staying in hotels :D
    Edited by KingofAnnwn on September 20, 2017 9:41PM
    Xbox One (Very Rare)
    PC
    PS5
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a gtx 960 m and it's a good card but I'd go i5, gtx 1050ti and 16gb ram
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did a quick search and this one seems to be pretty decent:
    http://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/legion-y-series/Lenovo-Y520-15IKBN/p/88GMY500808
    Has an i7 CPU, GTX1050+ GPU and SSD + HDD storage.

As others have said though, you'll be able to get a lot more/better hardware for less money if you opt for a desktop PC. ;) Gaming laptops are generally very pricey, but I do admit that having the option to take your games wherever you go sounds intriguing.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • KingofAnnwn
    KingofAnnwn
    ✭✭✭
    I'd much rather get a desktop, but my new job means I'll be on the road during the week. I used to take my Xbox with me, its just a pain to set it up all the time, and with most hotel WiFi networks requiring a sign in, it can be a pain to do so
    Xbox One (Very Rare)
    PC
    PS5
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What ever you pick go with a SSD . That's the mistake I made last time and will avoid in the future .
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Asus ROG line of laptops are nice, I have one. It has a 17" Screen so its a beast. Had to shell out more than $100 for the case to carry it around in. I think if I was carrying it around all the time I would have gone for the smaller 15.6" screen.

Anyway, they have a good airflow design for cooling, as gaming laptops get hot and due to that, die an earlier death than a more mundane latop. I also have a business class Asus laptop that I am not exactly gentle with, cost me $300 and I have had it for 5 years now. I use it to surf the web and post on gaming sites like this.

So, peruse this list, look for the ROG Line as they are slanted towards gaming, and don't be afraid of Refurbs, I have had one for a year now and it has given me no issues. The refurbs can save you 30% or more. Anyway, buy the one with the best video card you can afford, and then lean towards one with larger SSD. Although, you can swap out the SSD pretty cheap if it comes to that.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100167732 50001315

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For eso definitely go quad core as well. That's usually a given but you never know. I5 at last i7 if you can. Eso is pretty processor heavy because it's an mmo. You don't need an amazing graphics card unless ou want to play with everything on high settings and all the special effects turned on. But you do need a good CPU to have a smooth enjoyable experience especially in pvp.