The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Using furniture in new home

cluanaidh
cluanaidh
I just bought a new home, fully furnished.I have yet to learn how to put books on shelves, money in safe or any of the other things that I used to be able to do when playing Skyrim. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to say, but I'm afraid your expectations are not the reality of housing.

1 in terms of how it works - housing in ESO is closer to Fallout 4 then skyrim. it exists to play around creatively with layouts rather then to offer you any kind of added functionality aside from being able to add crafting stations. there is NO added storage of any kind.
    2. in order to place books, you need to first unlock the lorebook collections by discovering them out in a world, then go to a mystic npc (usually inside mage's guild), buy the collection you want (you cannot buy lore books individually, only as part of the collection if 8-10 ), click on the item you just bought inside your inventory so that it transforms into individual books and THEN, go into your house, hit whatever hotkey is needed to open decorating UI (on pc its f5 by default, not sure about console) and then follow screen promts to place or move furnishings. again on pc, selecting furniture to place is "R" key, no idea about console, to put it down is "E" you can move it around into position by rotating, moving your character, etc. if you want your lorebooks to be readable, you cannot put them inside bookcases. it has to be top of the table or open shelf or even just floating in the air.

here's a sort of general housing overview to give you an idea of housing can actualy be used for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=743wNJO8Vb8
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, almost all bookshelves are too narrow to allow books to fit at all in a natural way, without clipping through the shelf, which is a great design element from our friends at Zeni. I'm guessing the brain storming session went something like this, "Hey, Bob, should books fit on bookshelves with the housing update?" "Nah, why would anyone put books on a shelf?"
    Edited by SGT_Wolfe101st on September 21, 2017 2:16PM
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • cluanaidh
    cluanaidh
    While totally disappointed, I want to say Thank You both for your help. Maybe things will change. Again, Thanks. Happy Gaming!
  • elijafire
    elijafire
    ✭✭✭
    Also, almost all bookshelves are too narrow to allow books to fit at all in a natural way, without clipping through the shelf, which is a great design element from our friends at Zeni. I'm guessing the brain storming session went something like this, "Hey, Bob, should books fit on bookshelves with the housing update?" "Nah, why would anyone put books on a shelf?"

Have putting books on shelves become practical yet? If not I'm not gonna buy any lol.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    elijafire wrote: »

Have putting books on shelves become practical yet? If not I'm not gonna buy any lol.

I've been able to place books on the Dark Elf Bookshelf, Sectioned just fine. It takes a bit of work to get the books to align properly and get them inside the shelf, but if you leave them just slightly outside the bookshelf, they are still readable. I've also been successful in placing books in the Hlaalu Bookshelf, Empty. Again, takes some effort to place, and you have to put them just slightly past the edge of the shelf, but I can interact with the books just fine.