Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why am I doing next to no DPS as a Stamina DK?

Anil235
Anil235
✭✭
I have 289 CP and am following Alcast's Stamina DK build by using his rotation in conjunction with Engine Guardian and Hunding's Rage. I've been using 2/3 Flanking and an agility necklace due to a lack of gear, and I've used NMG weapons for the same reason. I pull a whopping 8-9k DPS on most bosses and 12k on bosses like Blood Spawn. I don't get it. How am I following Alcast's build so closely but doing less than a third of the damage? I played ESO a lot last year but quit because I couldn't deal any DPS for some reason. I have 125ish Ping which is supposed to be relatively good compared to others.I have no Maelstrom Weapons and a few unmorphed skills (blade cloak, rearming trap) that I'm still leveling. I can't imagine ideal enchantments, traits, CP, and morphs will somehow triple my DPS. Increase it significantly? Sure. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I have FTC installed, too. I switched over to a tank setup because I didn't want to wait forever in queues if I'm going to be useless anyways. Can someone please help me? This makes absolutely no sense and I feel like I'm missing something incredibly huge to not be able to do a decent amount of DPS.

Best Answers

• Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're wearing flanking and engine guardian. That's a start to why.

Hundings or night mother's as first 5 piece
    Then VO, twice fanged, spriggans, sunderflame as second 5 piece.
    Mephala/kragh/velidreth monster set.

Then is come down to how smoothly you get that rotation.
    Answer ✓
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said above the first thing you want to do is focus on getting good sets, the bonuses they provide are a key part of getting base damage.
    Then check you have your attributes, mundas stone etc. all set to what guides you use reccomend.

Finally once again as above it's down to your rotation skill, getting good at keeping you DoT(damage over time) and buff abilities with high up time, then animation cancelling in light or heavy attacks (as per the guide). Practice it a lot, start slow and speed up and you should see your DPS increase.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you have gold weapons and at least purple armor and jewelry? do you have a rotation down? what is your pen when fighting bosses? do you have necessary passives and abilities?

first off, youre not even using the right gear other than hundings. i suggest 5 hundings and 5 nightmothers gaze with a 2 piece kragh, stormfist or selenes. i wouldnt suggest velidreth as vcos might be out of your league for now. i also doubt you have trial gear but getting spriggans, sunderflame, two fanged snake, and vicious ophidian are the better sets

also, you are 289 cp, youre missing a lot of champ points that equal damage.

also, by not having a maelstrom bow, you are missing out on a lot of dps. you dont need maelstrom axes or daggers as those became irrelevant since morrowind

work slowly towards all that and you will achieve higher dps, gonna be a lot of work
    Edited by SoLooney on September 17, 2017 5:04PM
    Answer ✓
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because you followed a build - you can't expect to reach the same numbers. There's also skills involved in video games, and Alcast is an experienced player who's been playing for a long time. Which has made him good at a rotation etc.

Get Hundings + NMG to start off with. Learn your rotation, main priority should be to keep your dots up - as stamina dk got access to quite a few useful DoTs. Try and get in a light attack or a medium attack here and there to keep your ultimate flowing(more ultimate, more dps)(You'll learn to weave them with time).

What I've noticed Stamina DKs often do: They're equipping 2h + sword & board, and then they're spamming Ransack & Wrecking Blow/Dizzying Swing on bosses, thinking that does good DPS.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • TheNorthernDragon
    TheNorthernDragon
    ✭✭✭
    You're not actually following Alcast's build. He has a different setup for toons under 300 CP, and for players who don't have all the gear yet. Alcast actually recommends 5 Hundings/4 Night Mother's Gaze/3 Agility for a beginner build. This is also his DPS build, if you're going to tank, he has a different setup for that.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have solved my dps problem in dungeons ... I have switched to healing and tanking. Problem solved.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since you're wearing Engine Guardian and Flanking, you aren't really following Alcast's guide... I mean I seriously doubt he's put those sets in his guide. It would really surprise me if he did. I could obviously be wrong, andI haven't checked any of his guides, so just guessing here.
    Edited by Izaki on September 18, 2017 1:24AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Anil235
    Anil235
    ✭✭
    Since you're wearing Engine Guardian and Flanking, you aren't really following Alcast's guide... I mean I seriously doubt he's put those sets in his guide. It would really surprise me if he did. I could obviously be wrong, andI haven't checked any of his guides, so just guessing here.

I know I'm not following his gear setup because I don't magically have perfect gear yet. Gear farming doesn't happen overnight, I need to farm a crapton of dungeons and pledges and Bangkorai dolmens/world bosses before I'll actually have proper gear. I said I'm following his skill setup and gear as best as I can, which was what I was doing. I'm playing as a tank so I can queue for less popular dungeons (Fungal Grotto) to farm gear quickly.
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While you're levelling your CP you would be better to buy some spriggans and use that instead of flanking. Even blue jewelry would be better than flanking. Buy two pieces of spriggan's armor, and have 3 hundings armor 2 dagger 1 bow and whatever monster set you've got that does damage.

You don't need engine guardian, when your resources get low just heavy attack a little.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Anil235
    Anil235
    ✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    While you're levelling your CP you would be better to buy some spriggans and use that instead of flanking. Even blue jewelry would be better than flanking. Buy two pieces of spriggan's armor, and have 3 hundings armor 2 dagger 1 bow and whatever monster set you've got that does damage.

You don't need engine guardian, when your resources get low just heavy attack a little.

Right now I'm actually switching to a half-assed tank build so I can run vFG with relatively quick queues to farm Kra'gh's Monster set. I'm also running a lot of the world bosses and dolmens in Bangkorai to farm Spriggan's. So far I have a sharpened bow and some blue jewelry, and I'm working on getting the rest really soon. Once everything is in order I'm going to respec back to DPS and see how I've done with better gear.