Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Odd Weapon Re-Enchanting Bug? [Solved, just mechanics goofiness]

Skelfish
Skelfish
✭✭✭
I have 3 crafted weapons of the same level that have been enchanted with the same type of glyphs. 2 swords and an axe with lightning. However, when trying to re-enchant them with other glyphs I see that only 1 of the weapons (a sword) has the glyphs available in the "enchant" menu, while the other 2 do not. These weapons are level 22 and the glyphs I have are level 20, so it's not a matter of level requirement. I've tried swapping slots and unequipping them as well.

Why the heck are these glyphs only showing up for 1 of my weapons and not the other two?

*edit* Adding screenshots and additional info

Glyphs are normal white quality, bought from an NPC vendor in Deshaan.

ii3lbA2.png

This weapon CAN be re-enchanted
S8okuJO.png

These weapons CAN NOT be re-enchanted
KE1rwoz.png
PR8QdOy.png
Edited by Skelfish on September 14, 2017 11:10AM

Best Answer

• DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like you already have those glyphs on the other two. If you notice the charged weapon enchantment, the glyph itself gives 1303 shock damage.
    The first sword's current enchantment (the one that can be re-enchanted) has 1529 shock damage.
    The other two weapons have enchantments that give 1303 shock damage.

You can't re-enchant something with the exact same enchantment, but you can replace similar enchantments (even if it's just a quality change). The first sword's enchantment is probably a green or blue quality one, while the other two probably already have white-level enchants, so you can't re-enchant them with that specific weapon enchantment. Let me know if using a different enchantment (like flame or something) shows up on all of them.

(Edit: I realized you said they were all crafted items, so I removed a part that suggested the glyphs might have dropped with the item.)
    Edited by DiteHart on September 14, 2017 5:49AM
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to make sure, they are all Weapon Glyphs? There are a number of Jewelry Glyphs that seem like they would work on a weapon, but do not

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/

They are the appropriate level? You can apply any glyph from Trifling to Minor to an L22 Weapon, but Lessor or better will not work.

If the above conditions are met, then it might be a bug.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skelfish wrote: »
    I have 3 crafted weapons of the same level that have been enchanted with the same type of glyphs. 2 swords and an axe with lightning. However, when trying to re-enchant them with other glyphs I see that only 1 of the weapons (a sword) has the glyphs available in the "enchant" menu, while the other 2 do not. These weapons are level 22 and the glyphs I have are level 20, so it's not a matter of level requirement. I've tried swapping slots and unequipping them as well.

Why the heck are these glyphs only showing up for 1 of my weapons and not the other two?

ive seen this happen twice in the last week, not sure if its a bug. id say report it and see what happens. im still waiting on bug reports from 6 months ago.
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Just to make sure, they are all Weapon Glyphs? There are a number of Jewelry Glyphs that seem like they would work on a weapon, but do not

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/

They are the appropriate level? You can apply any glyph from Trifling to Minor to an L22 Weapon, but Lessor or better will not work.

If the above conditions are met, then it might be a bug.

Yep. I was trying to be lazy and re-enchant my weapons with more lightning glyphs instead of using my soul gems. As I said, the glyphs are level 20 so it's not an issue of inappropriate level, nor an issue of incorrect glyph type.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe next time you run into it, add some screenshots to this post? As well a little more info such as if they were dropped or crafted glyphs, the quality of the glyph etc.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Maybe next time you run into it, add some screenshots to this post? As well a little more info such as if they were dropped or crafted glyphs, the quality of the glyph etc.

Added additional screenshots and glyph info in OP,
  • Skelfish
    Skelfish
    ✭✭✭
    DiteHart wrote: »
    It looks like you already have those glyphs on the other two. If you notice the charged weapon enchantment, the glyph itself gives 1303 shock damage.
    The first sword's current enchantment (the one that can be re-enchanted) has 1529 shock damage.
    The other two weapons have enchantments that give 1303 shock damage.

You can't re-enchant something with the exact same enchantment, but you can replace similar enchantments (even if it's just a quality change). The first sword's enchantment is probably a green or blue quality one, while the other two probably already have white-level enchants, so you can't re-enchant them with that specific weapon enchantment. Let me know if using a different enchantment (like flame or something) shows up on all of them.

(Edit: I realized you said they were all crafted items, so I removed a part that suggested the glyphs might have dropped with the item.)

You seem to be correct, sir. Other types of weapon glyphs appear to show up in the Enchant menu, while exact type and level matching the existing enchantment does not. I appear to be mistaken due my expectations of enchanting mechanics, since I've never actually attempted to re-enchant with the exact same type before.