The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

When people buy gold with real money...

sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I actually know a few people that buys ESO gold for money. These individuals don't think it's cheating and tries to justify with all kinds of excuses including that they pay a sub and that entitles them to buy gold.

Do you know anyone that does this? Did you report them? I have no love for cheaters.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Report them.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean it's against the TOS and totally reportable (not sure how you'd go around proving it though to be honest), but is it really cheating?

I've never done it myself (and don't understand why one would anyway) but I don't know if I'd consider that cheating. Gold doesn't really give you much of an advantage in terms of combat since you'd be limited to buying overland sets (most BiS gear is dropped or crafted) and... What exactly? Housing? Gold doesn't buy you skills.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against it as well, but I'm not sure it's really "cheating" in my opinion.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't know why you should do that. Gold isn't exactly hard to farm in this game.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • craftycarper73
    craftycarper73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there just sad *** to put it bluntly
    Born, Bred & Made in Manchester UK, RIP 22 Angels. 22/05/2017

PC-EU

The Place by Tony Walsh Please Read
    This is the place in the North West of England

It’s ace, it’s the best and the songs that we sing

From the stands, from our bands set the whole planet shaking

Our inventions are legends! There’s nowt we can’t make and

So we make brilliant music. We make brilliant bands

We make goals that make souls leap from seats in the stands

And we make things from steel and we make things from cotton

And we make people laugh, take the mick summat rotten

And we make you at home and we make you feel welcome

And we make summat happen, we can’t seem to help it

And if you’re looking for history then yes, we’ve a wealth

But the Manchester way is to make it yourself

And make us a record, a new number one

And make us a brew while you’re up, love. Go on!

And make us feel proud that you’re winning the league

And make us sing louder and make us believe it

that this is the place that has helped shape the world

And that this the place where a Manchester girl

Name of Emmeline Pankhurst from the streets of Moss Side

Led a Suffragette City with sisterhood pride

And this is the place with appliance of science

We’re on it, atomic, we strut with defiance

In the face of a challenge we always stand tall

Mancunians in union delivered it all

Such as housing and libraries, and health, education

And unions and co-ops, the first railway station

So we’re sorry! Bear with us! We invented commuters!

But we hope you forgive us – we invented computers!

And this is the place Henry Royce strolled with Rolls

And we’ve rocked and we’ve rolled with our own Northern Soul

And so this is the place to do business, then dance

Where go-getters and goal setters know they’ve a chance

And this is the place where we first played as kids

And me Mam lived and died here, she loved it she did

And this is the place where our folks came to work

Where they struggled in puddles, they hurt in the dirt

And they built us a city. They built us these towns

And they coughed on the cobbles to the deafening sound

Of the steaming machines and the screaming of slaves

They were scheming for greatness, they dreamed to their graves

And they left us a spirit, they left us a vibe

The Mancunian Way to survive and to thrive

And to work and to build, to connect and create and

Greater Manchester’s greatness is keeping it great

And so this is the place now we’ve kids of our own

Some are born here, some drawn here but we all call it home

And they’ve covered the cobbles, but they’ll never defeat

All the dreamers and schemers who still teem through these streets

Because this is a place that has been through some hard times

Oppressions, recessions, depressions and dark times

But we keep fighting back with Greater Manchester spirit

Northern grit, northern wit in Greater Manchester’s lyrics

And there’s hard times again in these streets of our city

But we won’t take defeat and we don’t want your pity

Because this a place where we stand strong together

With a smile on our face, Mancunians Forever

And we’ve got this* as the place where a team with a dream (*Forever Manchester)

Can get funding and something to help with their scheme

Because this is the place that understands your grand plans

We don’t do No Can Do, we just stress Yes We Can!

Forever Manchester’s a charity for people round ‘ere

You can fundraise, donate. You can be a volunteer

You can live local, give local. We can honestly say

We do charity differently, that Mancunian Way

And we fund local kids, and we fund local teams

We support local dreamers to work for their dreams

We support local groups and the great work they do

So can you …help us help… local people like you?

Because this is the place in our hearts, in our homes

Because this is the place that’s a part of our bones

‘Cos Greater Manchester gives us such strength from the fact

That this is the place. We should give something back.

Always remember. Never forget. Forever Manchester.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people are also spending the gold they bought to buy carries through trials/vma runs/empereor

what i dont get is

how is paying someone else to do the content for you fun or enjoyable?

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of people who have been involved in or are actively involved in various forms of RMT (not all within ESO) sadly.

For the most part if you know people who do it you should report them to ZOS so they can look into it. However I fully understand the conflict of interest when this is friends who do it, mostly I try to give those ones as much abuse and link as much evidence as to why it's a bad idea as possible.

Ignoring the issues and fair play it can effect within the game people need to understand that many gold sellers are also involved in crime. CCP Games did some great talks about this in their Fanfest security presentations, but I have also heard first hand of people who purchased gold in a game to have emails stating someone tried to access their account multiple times there after.

Gold sellers will hijack accounts they've sold to, they have some of your personal information now. They will use and abuse stolen credit cards and every other dirty trick.

RMT isn't good, don't do it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    people are also spending the gold they bought to buy carries through trials/vma runs/empereor

what i dont get is

That's Capitalism (with an uppercase C) at work: the law of supply and demand. People are looking at skins, titles or dyes that they otherwise never will be able to get.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what i dont get is

That's Capitalism (with an uppercase C) at work: the law of supply and demand. People are looking at skins, titles or dyes that they otherwise never will be able to get.

what?

i asked how it was fun & enjoyable

you reply by calling it capitalism & then explaining that people with more money than skill want the shiney shineys.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them.

Not only does this activity corrupt Tamriel itself but it contributes to significant corruption in the other realm.

Organisations linked to the selling of gold are generally involved in financial fraud, drugs and all manner of unsavoury crime activities. Do not pour fuel on those sorts of fires.

If you buy from them using a payment card you put your payment account at risk. I doubt also if any game account or other personal details you supply are secure either.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Moltyr
    Moltyr
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this. Making gold in this game is incredibly easy...for ME. But I'm not sure how new players feel. Pickpocketing has become a viable source of income...even for new players. I also think that there is no way to "prove" someone is buying gold with real money unless they told you themselves. Or unless ZOS had access to your bank/paypal account. Someone giving another player a large amount of gold in game out of the blue isn't exactly hard evidence either. I've given complete strangers upwards of 200k, and I've received larger amounts from people either for a previous trade, bet, help with buying something I couldn't afford, etc. If ZOS felt so strongly about people buying gold, they wouldn't really have so much in the crown store that doesn't actually exist selling for real money. It's the same thing, they just condone folks to put money in their pockets and not some gold farmer. I don't ever plan on buying gold, but if someone does I wouldn't really think less of them or report them. Though I would be jealous because I'm broke lol.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »
    I mean it's against the TOS and totally reportable (not sure how you'd go around proving it though to be honest), but is it really cheating?

I've never done it myself (and don't understand why one would anyway) but I don't know if I'd consider that cheating. Gold doesn't really give you much of an advantage in terms of combat since you'd be limited to buying overland sets (most BiS gear is dropped or crafted) and... What exactly? Housing? Gold doesn't buy you skills.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against it as well, but I'm not sure it's really "cheating" in my opinion.
    For housing you have the crown store.
    Not sure how the goldsellers $/ gold rate is compared to the crown store for expensive houses who is the main thing you can buy for both,

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • OC_Justice
    OC_Justice
    ✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »

It is cheating, plain and simple.

Can I offer the banker in Monopoly some real cash for that fake money to get enough money to buy all the properties and control the board.

It allows them to buy crafting writs, legendary items or upgrade items. Nirncrux can be bought, no need to farm it like most of us do. Farm overground?, just go buy it at auction house with purchased gold.
    Purchased gold would allow you to buy the infamous Skyreach runs for leveling.

• Demycilian
    Demycilian
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess a game can never be so casual and simplistic that there is not someone prepared to cash out money to questionable elements in return for ingame currency.
    Edited by Demycilian on September 6, 2017 2:06PM
  • Insandros
    Insandros
    ✭✭✭✭
    i say..... Hang them and give me their gold :expressionless:
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moltyr wrote: »
    I also think that there is no way to "prove" someone is buying gold with real money unless they told you themselves.
    This is an issue but it can also be caught regardless, as it does actively happen in ESO and other MMO games.
    Moltyr wrote: »
    If ZOS felt so strongly about people buying gold, they wouldn't really have so much in the crown store that doesn't actually exist selling for real money. It's the same thing, they just condone folks to put money in their pockets and not some gold farmer.
    That's a flawed argument. The items ZOS are selling don't undermined the games competitive side or economy and ZOS aren't abusing those sales to do unlawful things like others are.

I've linked these a bunch of times before but they really are amazing to watch if you're interested in game security, RMT or the like.

"Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While both buying and selling gold is against the EULA, selling gold is a bigger problem than buying gold as it allows an arbitrage play to convert gold into crowns at a discount to the value of crowns to gold. You should discourage anyone you know from selling gold as it takes money directly out of ZoS' pockets.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ugh. Those people are the ones that encourage bots by supporting that stuff. They are awful people, report them.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    Ugh. Those people are the ones that encourage bots by supporting that stuff. They are awful people, report them.
    They're probably also the same ones who complain about all the bots and how ZOS does nothing.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why the hell are they buying gold in THIS game? Gold is easy to come by and there is almost nothing to spend it on.

The best gear is BoP, you can craft your own pots and food/drink, and the good mounts and costumes are in the Crown Store.

If you buy gold in ESO you may be the dumbest person on the planet.
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may or may not pertain to Gold sellers (it does kinda mention it) But very interesting read.

Hacker Reflects On 20 Years Of Exploiting MMO Security

http://kotaku.com/hacker-reflects-on-20-years-of-exploiting-mmo-security-1797377262

Also in another link, inside link above

Reminder Gold Farmers Are People Too

http://kotaku.com/reminder-gold-farmers-are-people-too-1507602367
    Edited by Serjustin19 on September 6, 2017 3:06PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I couldn't care less, Gold is somewhat worthless, especially for character strength.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Im sure the prices paid for crowns in game are more of a crime than this anyway
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burn them all.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When people buy gold with real money...
    ...I always think they are really, really putting the "oop" in stoopid. And mess up games for everyone else, because if they didn't do that kinda crap, we wouldn't have gold farmers vex us with their botting and other annoyances...

Makes me wish those people would get fined instead of gerring temp bans for their misdeeds. In crowns. Accounbt locked until they pay a fine in crowns, since those need be bought with real money, and if their actions cost them real money, they become less profitable.

• Thrymbauld
    Thrymbauld
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's cheating, bad, etc....

But I can also understand some basic draw. I knew a guy that bought gold in a different game. We where a successful raiding guild, and that took a ton of playtime to do. It was also extremely draining on in game resources, so gold would regularly get pretty tight. He bought it so that he could do the raiding without the farm grind to pay for it. In his words: "For an hours wages I never have to F*****g smack rocks again". When he put it that way, it was hard to disagree with the logic.

I can understand someone that would prefer to engage in combat WITH a nice legendary weapon rather than wander around the overland smacking resource nodes. I could see particularly impatient folks paying a couple bucks to do it.

I have a couple non-level 50 characters here and frankly, if I could drop twenty bucks to bring them up to Champion levels I'd do it. It's not that I don't want to play the game, it's that I DO want to play the game. I don't want to do the obligatory tap dance before the game even starts. There are almost seven hundred levels AFTER hitting the one that lets you equip your bank full of gear, for cripes sake. Make no mistake, if this was a P2win product in the crown store it'd be a hot seller, despite the damage it'd do to the game in general.

That doesn't make it ok, not in the slightest. It IS against the rules and it IS an advantage that is not sanctioned. I'm just saying that so long as mindlessly undesirable time grinds exist in games like this, gold sellers will always have a market.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine people 30 years + with a time consuming job but with plenty of cash wanting the best gear (gold), potion, poisons, etc, you name it, who want to be competitive in pvp and have absolutely not the slightest intention to spend the little free time they have, doing insanely boring stuff like farming or earning creds ...

Got it ?

Believe me, ZOS dont mind and will do nothing to prevent gold selling. The only thing they regret is the outrage that would happen if they sold it themselves, wich will sure happen in all Morpg in time to come as the gaming population will grow older and will demand it or stop playing.

Plain and simple.

Sad ?

Maybe but thats an other story ...

• thamightyboro
    thamightyboro
    ✭✭
    The key is getting monetisation of the game right.

Is it cheaper to buy gold from a 3rd party than get it indirectly from zos, in eso case it isis because you cant really change your crowns to gold.

I spent over a decade working in the mmo industry and on every title I worked we managed to make it so that gold sellers couldnt profit by offering players the ability to convert the virtual currency into in game currency either through a direct means or indirectly through sales of store items.

The last mmo I worked on prior to calling it a day was swtor. In swtor we had cartel crates, the items from these crates could bebe sold on the auction house and we actively monitored the coin return players where getting per dollar of spend. That enabled us to keep the return from buying direct higher than what would be profitsble for gold farmers.

Edited by thamightyboro on September 6, 2017 5:15PM
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vanzen wrote: »
    Imagine people 30 years + with a time consuming job but with plenty of cash wanting the best gear (gold), potion, poisons, etc, you name it, who want to be competitive in pvp and have absolutely not the slightest intention to spend the little free time they have, doing insanely boring stuff like farming or earning creds ...

Got it ?

Believe me, ZOS dont mind and will do nothing to prevent gold selling. The only thing they regret is the outrage that would happen if they sold it themselves, wich will sure happen in all Morpg in time to come as the gaming population will grow older and will demand it or stop playing.

Plain and simple.

Sad ?

Maybe but thats an other story ...

You hit my demographic perfectly except for one thing. Most of us Geezers that are 30+ with time consuming jobs ( I'm 48 and have a 65+hour a week job) really don't care about being that competitive in PvP and usually have more fun running Guilds, acquiring gear and completing quests. With the limited play time, people like me will never be really that competitive - it simply requires too much TIME, and you can't buy that.

I'm sure that there are some that would buy gold, but I don't think that the 30+ crowd is the main buyer of ill gotten gold.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying gold may not technically be cheating but 99% of the time the people selling it have obtained it by cheating. Or botting, or out-right, real-world theft.

It's not unheard of for them to require their customers game account details (or simply require registration to a site and count on idiots using the same email and password) and then if they don't become repeat customers or stop buying often they use those details to steal the account, transfer any gold and valuable items to one of their own accounts and use it for botting until it gets shut down.

And that's one of the least crazy ways they go about it. At the other extreme you've got criminal gangs smuggling people across country borders then forcing them to "pay it back" by working as literal slaves locked in buildings farming gold so they can sell it. And then using that money to buy drugs and weapons to smuggle to make even more money.

Or they steal your credit card details, contact details, whole identity etc. and make money selling that.

Seriously, if you're imagining that you're buying gold from your typical ESO player, maybe a trade guild leader who has mastered earning gold in-game and just wants to help out his fellow players (and hey, why shouldn't he get a little something in return for that?) you need to re-think.

If you're lucky you're buying from someone like Steve Bannon (I'm not even kidding, the guy genuinely was involved in gold selling). If you're unlucky it's the actual mafia.
    Edited by Danikat on September 6, 2017 5:57PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually know a few people that buys ESO gold for money. These individuals don't think it's cheating and tries to justify with all kinds of excuses including that they pay a sub and that entitles them to buy gold.

Do you know anyone that does this? Did you report them? I have no love for cheaters.

report them!!

lol, but how lame must those people be :smiley: ?
    Edited by altemriel on September 6, 2017 6:01PM
This discussion has been closed.