Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Mob Aggro order

Queo
Queo
✭✭✭
So im new to tanking, and i've come to notice something about aggro. I realize that this is not a new ground breaking thought, but i need confirmation that my imagination is not running wild.

Do some mobs aggro your furthest away party member, or do they have a "role" check down they aggro?

I have notice that I will run head first into a group around a corner and some mobs will skip me and go after my healer who is struggling to keep up, because she is learning how to play, and has even initiated combat. So this got me thinking. Do they go after her because she is far away, or are they programmed (smartly imo) to go after "squishy" roles?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think unless damaged, mobs tend to go for the players with the highest stats. If damaged they go for the player who did damage to them. Ground DoTs aggro the hardest. So mobs will most likely go for the healer and DDs because they have higher stats stacking all into either stamina or magicka - tanks tend to be more well rounded - and thus have a higher "threat" level to them. That's why is good to start your trash pull with a ground based AoE DoT, ideally one that also snares - cinder storm is perfect, caltrops works if you are not DK and NBs can use twisting path but that doesn't snare; check CC skills of other classes as well. This way you will only need to taunt the hardest hitting mob and hold aggro for a short time on the others based on that initial DoT. The CC that snares or pins the mobs in place like talons prevent them from going for team mates and also keep them in AoE for better DPS.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |