Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

ZOS, why remove pet pulling?!?

Phinix1
Phinix1
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
When Morrowind launched, many people who played hunter/pet builds in other games came over or back to ESO. Even without a pet bar, and even though the new bear completely lacked any taunt whatsoever, there was ONE thing really cool about them that these people, and myself, really enjoyed.

At Morrowind launch, there was a very cool mechanic where, if you used the game's builtin Command Pet hotkey to direct your pet (Sorc pets worked too!) to attack an enemy that wasn't yet in combat with anything, that enemy would instantly start running at your pet to attack them. You could then target the next thing and command your pet to attack that, and while they start running to that enemy, the first would still be chasing your pet. You could chain entire areas to your bear this way to start combat.

This allowed an excellent gameplay style that more than made up for the loss of other games' pet bars. You could start combat by having your pet pull all the enemies in the area, and start your AOE stacking once they were already all piled up, never having taken damage yourself. Both the Warden Bear and Sorc Clannfear were plenty tanky enough to handle it. It was a fun and glorious time, but then...

For some reason (I sincerely hope it was just an oversight) this stopped working with the HotR patch, maybe before. Now when you use Command Pet, the enemy will do absolutely nothing while your pet (painfully slowly with no Dash ability) runs over to them. Then, when your pet finally gets to them, it does a 1-3 second windup on some power ability, which will completely MISS if you do anything to draw the enemy's attention during this time, which is easy since it no longer aggos on your pet.

Gone completely is the excellent playstyle of having your pet round up enemies! The game's own Command Pet ability is rendered essentially worthless, as is largely the entire pet aspect of the new "Pet Class" the Warden, or any reason for Eternal Guardian to respawn when it never dies. Literally, sneezing on the bear's target will draw aggro.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Can you guys PLEASE confirm if this was a bug?!?

I find it difficult to believe the devs would choose to completely remove an entire playstyle with no justification or rationale or balancing reason why it would be necessary or preferred. It seems this MUST be a mistake!

Here's hoping.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its better the way it is now. why should a mob start combat with my pet who is behind it and hasnt even been seen just because i tell it to attack?
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slick_007 wrote: »
    its better the way it is now. why should a mob start combat with my pet who is behind it and hasnt even been seen just because i tell it to attack?

Because it's a video game that's supposed to be fun not a National Geographic documentary.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is fun. the way it is now. your response is ridiculus and shows you dont even have a valid point.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    You could start combat by having your pet pull all the enemies in the area, and start your AOE stacking once they were already all piled up, never having taken damage yourself.

Yeah, I can't imagine why that was removed. :|
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "When Morrowind launched, many people who played hunter/pet builds in other games came over or back to ESO."

I zone out when the very first sentence is a sweeping generalization not supported by anything other than OP's assertion.
  • Zimbugga
    Zimbugga
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I liked my clannfear when he fight with different enemy than me. Before Morrowind pets were smart, but now they are like robots. Alright, it's funny to give command to your pet, but why with heavy attack? There must be different way to command your pet. Maybe some button like that when you can mark your target with R3 (in PS4. I don't know how it works in PC or Xbox).
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL all I see is nitpick grumble grumble with no actual point complaining about no actual point. XD
    • If you can't tell that a new "pet class" was a big selling point of Morrowind, I can't help you.
    • If you can't explain an actual technical reason why pet pulling hurt the game, I can't help you.
    • If you can't express your opinion without attacking or being rude, I can't help you.
    • If you see someone with lots of stars and stuff and are the type of person who feels an uncontrollable instinctual envy-urge to smash, or attack in some passive-aggressive way instead of engaging in an actual conversation, I can't help you (and wouldn't want to).

If you have some actual ideas related to the topic you'd like to discuss, something a little more inspired than "your opinion is stupid, you a stupid head," I'm all ears.

Edited by Phinix1 on August 31, 2017 8:52PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It was not oversight but intended change. One that i prefer over your way. It also makes more sense. Sorry this disrupted your playstyle.

I definitely think you are overreacting with the other stuff. It is minor change, affecting only your playstyle.
    Nothing is rendered useless or worse by this (other than, again, your playstyle)
    Edited by SodanTok on August 31, 2017 9:48PM
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a minor change affecting very, very, very few people (maybe only just you really).
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm.. the NPC's start attacking a player as soon as the player starts an attack. No reason for the pet to be any different IMO. It's not a feature I particularly like but it's consistent. Doesn't effect me one way of the other since I rarely play with pets but IMO if the mechanic is going to be applied to players I see no reason it shouldn't be applied to pets too or visa vis.
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizier wrote: »

Umm.. the NPC's start attacking a player as soon as the player starts an attack. No reason for the pet to be any different IMO. It's not a feature I particularly like but it's consistent. Doesn't effect me one way of the other since I rarely play with pets but IMO if the mechanic is going to be applied to players I see no reason it shouldn't be applied to pets too or visa vis.

incorrect.they start attacking once they see an enemy or they get hit. a perfect example of this is the warden cliff racer. that has a delay before it hits. the mob does not attack til hes hit.