The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Change in Motif Drop Rate (redoran, telvanni, hlaalu)

zynib16_ESO
zynib16_ESO
Soul Shriven
greetings,

anyone else noticed a change in the drop rate since today?

Before today you got your first motif of the day really fast. Probably like in the first 10 victims. This was repeatable if you waited like 90 minutes (you didn't had to be in the game).

Over the last three days i got 22 motifs with around 5 hours farming. And it took only that long because on 4 of them the discribed method of waiting 90 minutes didn't worked.

i documented my drops with some times

(farm time in minutes) (dropped motif)
00:01 telvanni shield
00:30 redoran belt
00:05 telvanni maces
00:08 telvanni maces
00:46 telvanni gloves
00:07 telvanni gloves
00:05 telvanni axes
00:05 redoran daggers
00:39 Hlaalu Belt
00:01 telvanni gloves
00:03 hlaalu staves
00:06 redoran legs
00:06 redoran maces
00:49 hlaalu axes
00:07 telvanni chest
00:02 hlaalu staves
00:42 telvanni axes
00:22 telvanni shoulders
00:06 telvanni sword
00:02 telvanni maces
00:15 redoran legs
00:02 hlaalu maces

in my excel i also reported the time i waited .. in the cases i took 30 minutes or longer i didn't waited 90 minutes .. but also some on some of the low farm times i waited less then 90 minutes.

But today i farmed for 22 minutes in the morning before i had to got to work and now drop .. that was already suspicious after the observation i did with my method... then in the afternoon it took me 86 minutes till the first drop of the day... now i'm on the way to the second motif and already farmed for 40 minutes without a drop... i'll wait now ingame till 90 minutes have passed and try then again ..

but i think before today there was some kind of bad luck protection that got you a motif every 90 minutes, regardless if you where logged in during the time or not.. if i get a second motif only minutes after 90 minutes passed ingame i think the protection was changed that way that you have to be logged in .. if i don't get a motif in another 15 minutes i would probably think that the "bad luck protection" is completely gone...

so ^^ anyone else did some "research" or has some observations..
  • HallowedSky1042
    HallowedSky1042
    Soul Shriven
    I've never gotten that many motifs in a day. It's rare when I get one. Might be my level though. I'm fairly new.
  • zynib16_ESO
    zynib16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    not in a day .. in three days .. i would say maximum would be around 16 .. 1 every 90 minutes .. but as i thought .. now you had to be online

2 minutes after i completed the 90 min wait (ingame time) i got another drop .. i'll try now to keep my char another 90 minutes online and see if i then get another drop with short farm time -_-
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    got all this in 3 days?

wat kind of sorcery iz dis???????????

i farm 3 months and got 0

none
    nada

nothing

sure u r not trolling?
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    got all this in 3 days?

3 months ? Those motifs have been live for only three weeks... Who's trolling ?

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When the patched dropped, I spent an hour killing 100 NPCs in Vivec City, got nothing, never tried again.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the patched dropped, I spent an hour killing 100 NPCs in Vivec City, got nothing, never tried again.

LoL... never wondered if your strategy was the right one ?
  • karrie7
    karrie7
    ✭✭✭
    You need to wait nubs xd this is why you dont get anything..Purple recipes/motifs have like 2 hours cooldown ,your only bet is switching between other chars but this was nerfed the past days
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    karrie7 wrote: »
    You need to wait nubs xd this is why you dont get anything..Purple recipes/motifs have like 2 hours cooldown ,your only bet is switching between other chars but this was nerfed the past days

A cooldown between drops... Lol... I wonder how many other urban legends there are around regarding those motifs. All proved wrong so far.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭

got all Morag Tong and Ashlander

0 Armiger,Ordinator (3 months farming)

0 Telvanni
    0 Redoran
    0 Hlallu

any other questions?

PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any other questions?

Yes.
    - Did you read the thread's title ? It's about Telvanni, Hlaalu and Redoran motifs. They've been live for three weeks (which explains why you did not get them before).
    - Did you read the patch notes ? Those three motifs drop from pickpocketing NPCs. The other motifs you're mentioning come from other methods (chests, AP, dungeons). Specifically, the ordinator motif cannot be farmed, it's only available at an AP merchant.

That's why you cannot compare your results between them.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 29, 2017 3:25PM
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mah i rly want to put a pic here but ill prolly get banned so plz continue solo
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to RNG. You can't draw conclusions from your small sample size. And your findings follow the same pattern that almost all other farm for rare shinys does. Feast or famine.

Now since Morrowind dropped I have received 3 motif chapters from that zone.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• zynib16_ESO
    zynib16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    so .. another 90 minutes are over .. i was only doing auction stuff .. not pickpocket anything in the time .. the at 18:00 i got to morrowind startet pickpocket .. and got a motif after 2 minutes

@nestor it are only observations .. but the results are there .. maybe its not 90 minutes maybe it can happen that you get a motif again after 30 min and aslong as a Gamemaster doesn't answer we'll probably never know^^

but i'm 99,9% sure that there is a bad luck protection .. even my small number point to it .. these fast drops after 90 minutes .. everyone can try it themselves ... go around 90 minutes ingame then pickpocket for a few minutes in morrowind and you'll get a motif

another thing ..

i NEVER got a motif on the first pickpocket NEVER.. most of the time i got it on the kill.. so the third pickpocket has probably the highest drop chance. on the second pickpocket i got sometimes a motif but only if it was a tad more difficult .. like nobles or so (at slaves and so only on the third).
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night I got one House motif on my first pickpocket target of the day, and another motif fifteen minutes later. So I agree with Nestor, it's simply rng being rng.
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • saxgooner
    saxgooner
    ✭✭✭
    So it has to be pickpocketing and not just a drop from blade of woe
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    saxgooner wrote: »

No, I got Telvanni Shields today from a Blade of Woe hit. I pickpocket the first two items then Woe for the third.
  • jmferris
    jmferris
    ✭✭
    saxgooner wrote: »

No, you can get it from BoW. I pulled Redoran Axes on my very first victim on the "stab" part of pick-pick-stab. Not saying you can get it if you just go around BoW-ing, but that you can - at least- get it for your third.
  • zynib16_ESO
    zynib16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    i NEVER got a motif on the first pickpocket NEVER.. most of the time i got it on the kill.. so the third pickpocket has probably the highest drop chance. on the second pickpocket i got sometimes a motif but only if it was a tad more difficult .. like nobles or so (at slaves and so only on the third).

yeah like jmferris said .. pick pick stab .. then on stab you can have often the motif ^^ .. sometimes i would say also if you pick - stab them .. but only stabbing .. no .. maybe not possible or extrem low chance
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think I would really like to see a lower drop rate than they are currently. Otherwise the price of these are going to crash real quick on the markets in comparison to other motifs.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • zynib16_ESO
    zynib16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    hmm the drop rate is back to normal or it was only really unlucky trys .. now got 2 today with together around 10 min farm (but ofc more than 90 min between farms)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    I think I would really like to see a lower drop rate than they are currently. Otherwise the price of these are going to crash real quick on the markets in comparison to other motifs.

I'd like to see a higher drop rate. I can't afford most rare-ish motifs as it is.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet you already have them all for yourself and want to make money now ?

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also think once a set hits live it to be terribly unfair to reduce the drop-rate. All that does in penalize those that might be a little later to the gathering while those that were able to start farming on day one have stacks to sell that they farmed far more easily than their later "competition". Once a drop rate is set on something like this it should not later be significantly adjusted in my opinion.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I do have them all. Had them all before the end of last week. Also, I'm not much of a seller in the guild stores at all. I will sometimes put a few things in there to see if I get a bite for anything, but, in the case of these motifs, I actually found them too easy to get for very little effort. I was getting 8-10 in a 6hr period. I traded a lot of them with other players, even double and tripling the trade to get what I needed in other styles like the Militant Ordinator ones.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farming those almost every day since arrival and stably have 2-3 motifs in around 150 stealing attempts (until I hit a fencing operations limit). Don't see any changes so far.
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    got all this in 3 days?

He probably meant BA motifs

z95UL0y.jpg
  • EldrathLlewain
    Can anyone whose had luck pickpocketing these motifs comment on if they have a very high legerdemain/all the skills? Ive had no luck, in 50 attempts, but dont have good skills.
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone whose had luck pickpocketing these motifs comment on if they have a very high legerdemain/all the skills? Ive had no luck, in 50 attempts, but dont have good skills.

I usually get one within 24 attempts (8 NPCs, 3 attempts per NPC). I have maxed legerdemain and maxed pickpocket-relevant skills. I also have only once gotten one on a first attempt; most of mine come from the third attempt and a handful from the second. I haven't tracked or spreadsheeted that in any way verifiable though so please take that with a grain of salt. There are some days where RNG is not in my favor and I go on and on without getting one at all. Then there are nights where I get one on the first NPC! It balances out.
  • EldrathLlewain
    When u say third attempt, do you mean the third pick for a single npc, wonder if it matters
  • saxgooner
    saxgooner
    ✭✭✭
    When u say third attempt, do you mean the third pick for a single npc, wonder if it matters

I mainly got mine from the stab on pick pick stab.
    Occasionally on first and second picks.