Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Sorcerer Tank - with pets?

aemanius
aemanius
✭✭
Hello guys, i'm still leveling all the classes to understand the gameplay and choose the one i prefer.

Considering I have all magicka dd classes (magBlade + magDk), I wanted to start something more tankish.

My goal is to solo pve including dungeons + world bosses and sorc pet build looks fine at it, wanna give it a try.

Is there a way to build sorc as a tank pet build? Something like:
  • heavy armor
  • high resistance
  • self heal
  • aoe / single target dmg (obviously not so high like a pure dd build)

Both stamina or magicka setups are okay for me. Which race do you prefer? I would like to be argonian!
Any build or suggestion will be really appreciated :)

Edited by aemanius on August 29, 2017 10:28AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say go magicka, first and foremost. Of my two, my magicka sorc is more solo balanced with more damage and my stam sorc is a much beefier tank that can permablock (didn't even have to ult on AA axes), but he has much lower damage.

Firstly, know which pet(s) to use.

Clanfear: takes aggro if it attacks first, and once it has it it isn't letting go till it dies. Very effective at locking down a single enemy, like a world boss, as long as you keep it alive. It also has a heal based on your health (35%, I think) that hits the both of you, so you can manage it. When you cast conjured ward and morphs (recommend hardened), that will also cover your pets. That means you can use wards and healing to keep you and your pet alive at the same time, and do damage on the side. You can build more offensive with this pet.

Twilight matriarch: has a very large 2 target burst heal and does NOT take aggro, uses lightning attacks from range to pester enemies. This is definitely the option for you if you're going to be tanking the bosses yourself. Like the clanfear, her active heal and your conjured ward will cover her and keep her safe from big damage incoming, like untantable AoEs. This is better as a support role.

Next, consider what you want to do. I can give you a tank build to survive raid bosses (and make world bosses look pathetic in comparison), but you mentioned soloing. Soloing gets way easier if you have damage. What I'd recommend at that rate is go 5 light, one medium, one heavy armor, get yourself to about 20k health with food and pets up, then run double shock staff or shock front bar, ice back bar.

Why 5 light: simple, most damage and sustain you'll get out of magicka abilities comes from these passives. You could do this in 5 heavy and be way tankier, but you'd do a lot less damage.

Why one medium: dodge roll and sprint cost reduction are useful soloing, and when you get the undaunted mettle passive it'll boost all stats (really helpful).

Why one heavy: health, resistances, magicka and stamina back every 4 seconds when you're hit, and of course undaunted mettle (as listed above).

Shock staves: naturally proc off balance and minor susceptibility on your target through the concussed status effect. If you have 75 points in the ritual champion star tree (use thaumaturge for all 75), you also do even more damage to off balanced targets. That, and your implosion passive makes every lightning attack a potential execute below 15%.

Frost staves: this is a little more specific. This is meant defensively to shock's offensive passives. With frost staves (with the tri focus passive), your block costs magicka, blocks more and costs less. You also get armor rating just for having one equipped if you spend enough CP points in the steed constellation. That, and frost attacks have a chance to proc the chilled status affect and apply minor maim to a target, reducing all their outgoing damage by 15%. Just remember blocking with frost staves costs magicka and halts magicka regen.

From there, I leave other options to you. My recommendation is 2 iceheart (dire frost vet and undaunted chests), 5 Julianos (crafted) or 5 Necropotence, and 4 of any magicka set giving you max magic, spell damage, or spell crit.

Hope this helps, and any questions just ping me on here!

Edited cause smart phones aren't xD
    Edited by DocFrost72 on August 29, 2017 6:58PM
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    @DocFrost72 Good comparison between the pets. Nice write-up.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say use 5x necropotence + 2x maw of the infernal + 4x moondancer/ether/masterarchitect and play twilight matriach and clanfear as pets. The pets take of quite a lot of aggro and you have so much self healing and shields that you don't need heavy armour and can actually do damage. So things actually die when you do solo stuff and you don't need 30 minutes for a worldboss.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    I'd say use 5x necropotence + 2x maw of the infernal + 4x moondancer/ether/masterarchitect and play twilight matriach and clanfear as pets. The pets take of quite a lot of aggro and you have so much self healing and shields that you don't need heavy armour and can actually do damage. So things actually die when you do solo stuff and you don't need 30 minutes for a worldboss.

So, are you suggesting to play both pets on both bars?
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scamp/volatile familiar is better for tanking than the Clannfear if you're maximizing more into magicka and have the Winged Twilight Matriarch.
    Not saying the Clannfear is bad, reread if you think otherwise.

If you're focused more on shields then health becomes more of a degraded attribute where Shadowrend > Maw of the Infernal for that minor maim (this reserves having to slot a skill for the debuff) and maintains magic.
    Not saying the Daedroth is bad, reread if you think otherwise.

Light armor tanking is more than just probable, it's possible and you should consider it if you plan on using pets.
    Heavy armor is good for you and yourself only, it can help you sustain but the passives do not fortify the pets' performance, whereas, Light armor would (actually it does).
    Not saying Heavy armor is bad, but again...

I think I have made this post as nonrepudiation-able (?) for me to the consideration of other playstyles, reread if you think otherwise because I am not reverberating to >:) .
    Edited by SirMewser on August 29, 2017 7:29PM