Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Help clarify Alcast's MagSorc "Mystic" rotation

Kurkikohtaus
Kurkikohtaus
✭✭✭
With all due respect to Alcast, who's work has helped me a lot over the past year, I do not understand his rotation for the Mystic build, found HERE.

On that page, he details it this way:

Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms >Haunting Curse > Weapon Swap
> Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Weapon Swap
> Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms > > Light attack > Shock Clench > Weapon Swap
Restart

First of all, why so late with the Shock Clench? Wouldn't you want to put that in there earlier to get the DoT ticking?

Secondly, the light attack weaving seems inconsistent.
  • No light attack before Haunting Curse?
  • A light attack after a weapon swap? (This never seems to work for me)
  • Then a light attack at the end of the 2nd line before the weapon swap?

And last but not least, "Restart"? Makes no sense there, you have just applied the 2 AoE DoTs, why reapply them?
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some abilities are clunky with weaves, or are flat out not advantageous to weave in between in terms of timing execution. It's likely a minor mistake that he omitted the LA weave between Blockade and Curse, but I know there are definitely some skills in Stamina DPS rotations that can have DPS advantages to skipping a weave between.

Shock Clench is also an insanely costly skill and hardly pulls enough DPS on its own to justify the long animation (unless bar swapped off of, which you'll notice he has exactly that).

Light Attacking before a Weapon Swap is advantageous, as WS lasts the same duration as the Light Attack GCD, so you should always try to get both before and after, unless you are animation cancelling (via bar swap) a long winded animation.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    On this note his build doesn't include maw of internal; arentpeople gettingbetter results with the 2 piece? I'm still not convinced his 5x juli, 5x necro/netchs and 1 piece ice is the way to go? Anyone tried this out for HOTR?
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Gilliamtherogue , nice to see you here, I admire your work very much. Thanks for the clarification on the light attack weaving issues, I'll look into that.

2 questions remain however, why shock clench so late in the rotation, and is the "Restart"some kind of error? Or does he mean restart back to the main bar? (The force pulse line)

• Mitsumi
    Mitsumi
    On this note his build doesn't include maw of internal; arentpeople gettingbetter results with the 2 piece? I'm still not convinced his 5x juli, 5x necro/netchs and 1 piece ice is the way to go? Anyone tried this out for HOTR?

Maw was critting unintentionally and was fixed. You can always test the build yourself. But unless you understand the reason behind the build and why he chose the sets he did, you're always going to be copying off other people's build.

You can always get rid of the 1 iceheart, slot in another julianos, and rock vma weapons.

Nothing will convince you unless you test it our yourself. You can't replicate how well they do rotation as well, so no matter what sets and build you copy, your dps wont be anywhere near theirs unless your rotations are on point.

PS: There's countless youtube vids out with people trying out different sets combinations and cp allocation that shows their build/dps.
    Edited by Mitsumi on August 29, 2017 2:15PM
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Gilliamtherogue , nice to see you here, I admire your work very much. Thanks for the clarification on the light attack weaving issues, I'll look into that.

2 questions remain however, why shock clench so late in the rotation, and is the "Restart"some kind of error? Or does he mean restart back to the main bar? (The force pulse line)

As I mentioned, Shock Clench is late in the rotation for 2 reasons;
    A- the resource strain is high enough that some players will want to cast it every other rotation
    B- you only want to cast Clench when it's at the end that bar's cast order, so it can be easily animation cancelled. We see Alcast is suggesting casting Haunt last on his front bar, likely to line up burst since the first hit is after 3.5s, which will help DPS numbers look larger. This means casting Clench after would be witnessed as a DPS loss, likely why he does not suggest it.

"Restart" means as it says, restart the rotation from step 1. "Rinse, Repeat" is a common phrase also used.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • BlazingDynamo
    BlazingDynamo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there no execute on this rotation?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Shock Clench is mainly there to help Concussed uptime. If the group is already providing enough of that, dropping it for Crystal Frags would be more benefitial. You could also make room for Mage's Wrath if you want it.
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the rotation is clunky

I'm running this exact build and it just makes me miss the days of home stead sorc PvE that much more. Boy, did we bring some serious DPS

At this point I am seriously thinking of focusing on tanking from here on out.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shock Clench is also an insanely costly skill and hardly pulls enough DPS on its own to justify the long animation

An important thing to remember about clench is the 8 seconds jive perfectly with the length of our other dots AND stuns anything that might be on your tail. Very handy for those stray mobs the tank forgot to taunt.
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still run 5 juli/5netch/1monster

I'm lazy/cheap so I just use regular Mana pots. I don't use haunting curse or force pulse and don't anima cancel. My rotation is

Surge > Boundless storm > start fight > liquid > blockade > clench > HA x 3 and as soon as the last animation for heavy is over it's time to read apply dots. Then spam mages wrath x2 instead of heavy x3 during execute.

Like I said it's extremely lazy but I have inner light double slotted and pull 20k self buffed.
    Edited by Invincible on August 30, 2017 1:39AM
  • Betsararie
    Betsararie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible wrote: »
    I still run 5 juli/5netch/1monster

I'm lazy/cheap so I just use regular Mana pots. I don't use haunting curse or force pulse and don't anima cancel. My rotation is

Surge > Boundless storm > start fight > liquid > blockade > clench > HA x 3 and as soon as the last animation for heavy is over it's time to read apply dots. Then spam mages wrath x2 instead of heavy x3 during execute.

Like I said it's extremely lazy but I have inner light double slotted and pull 20k self buffed.

That's a good lazy rotation, thanks for the post.

More than enough for almost any content, though certainly a lazy rotation by any standard. But I do prefer that style of rotation

It would be hard to get rid of curse, however, it's pretty pivotal for sorc. In all fairness we're shooting for 30k at a min but 20k is enough for any vet dungeon. I'm gonna need to do some more work with this build
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blanco wrote: »
    That's a good lazy rotation, thanks for the post.

You're welcome lol. I'm also a Breton. So running surge instead of pots puts me at like 23k spell resist. I stand in alllllllll the fire.
  • DeathHouseInc
    DeathHouseInc
    ✭✭✭
    I switched to this rotation and watched my already *** dps completely plummet 15-13k single target to 10~-9k...I have yet to understand how it is anywhere close to being good ;\ L2P I am sure.

Switched my stam dk over to his build and same thing. MY bow/bow build completely out performs it but still *** dps.

I can't make sense of it and I don't see how the second or third gear recommendations could add 30k DPS compared to all gold beginner recommendations made in the guides. The rotations seems like a complete joke as most fights end before you even get into it for the most part.
    Edited by DeathHouseInc on August 30, 2017 2:58AM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DeathHouseInc
    Alcast's builds are for trials-level boss fights. The full rotation is complete overkill for trash mobs in overland content or normal dungeons (which is probably the kind of content you run). Not being able to do 20k dps in general, you're not really in a position to evaluate this kind of build. It may very well be too complicated for you, to the point that you actually lose dps trying to get the rotation accomplished. And you know, that's ok. We don't all have to be top-tier raiders min/maxing every little thing. Nor do we all play exactly the same way, even at the top end. I had to change a few things around for myself to get to a place where the general premise of the build worked for me the way I like it.

If you want some help getting your dps up, we'll happily offee advice too. You can look back at some of the past "help! my Sorc dps is bad" threads and see a lot of useful info there. Or pm me and we can talk about it one-on-one.
  • theacefes
    theacefes
    ✭✭✭
    This is an excellent thread and one I was hoping would come up. I've been running Alcast's Venom build for the better part of a year and I love it, even with the updates.

I recently leveled up a magsorc though, using the Mystic build, and I"m running everything (juli/netch) except the Iceheart helm (still farming). With an ult and spell power pots I'm only getting 20k MAX. (I get in the 30s on my DK...yay DK!)

It's been suggested to me that it might be me not doing the rotation well, which is fair since I'm new to staves...could there be any other reason? I'm still getting the hang of LA on staves and anim cancelling. (cp581)
    Edited by theacefes on August 30, 2017 3:38AM
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can or has anyone posted a video of alcasts build being executed on a target dummy?
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast had a dps video test at one point but that was for Morrowind, not HotR. I would also like to see how this performs in the hands of a skilled player. With this exact setup I cannot get over 22, including Ultimate.

And sustain is also out the window, I have to heavy attack a lot. And THAT has nothing to do with skill. Either the build is counting on raid buffs / group coordination for sustain or there is something wrong.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My slightly modified version got 32k after a couple attempts. Same gear (except Grothdarr instead of Iceheart), but my skills were:
    1. Crystal Frags, Force Pulse, Haunting Curse, Inner Light, Bound Aegis, Shooting Star
    2. Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain (would be Empowered Ward in a group), Endless Fury, Bound Aegis, Thunderous Rage

The rotation I did was more complex than the pet build rotation I'm used to doing, so I think with more practice I could get better at it. One heavy attack each rotation is probably enough. I can spell out the exact rotation I did if need be, but it should be pretty self explanatory.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 30, 2017 5:27AM
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always ask him direct @Alcast
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Noodles
    Noodles
    as far as the rotation goes id say look at it this way

1-Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms >Haunting Curse > Weapon Swap
    2-> Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Weapon Swap
    3-> Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms > > Light attack > Shock Clench > Weapon Swap

considering haunting curse lasts 12 seconds before its second hit id assume (though i could be wrong) that its used every other rotation. So having the sequences numbered above you would just swap line 1 and 3 every other time so it looks like this

1-Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms >Haunting Curse > Weapon Swap
    2-> Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Force Pulse > Light Attack > Weapon Swap
    3-> Liquid Lightning > Light Attack > Blockade of Storms > > Light attack > Shock Clench > Weapon Swap
    repeat
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    had better luck with alcast summoner build, using thief mundus over apprentice. thief boosted my dps 1-2k per test.

i agree something seems off with the mystic build.
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    My slightly modified version got 32k after a couple attempts. Same gear (except Grothdarr instead of Iceheart), but my skills were:
    1. Crystal Frags, Force Pulse, Haunting Curse, Inner Light, Bound Aegis, Shooting Star
    2. Liquid Lightning, Blockade of Storms, Elemental Drain (would be Empowered Ward in a group), Endless Fury, Bound Aegis, Thunderous Rage

The rotation I did was more complex than the pet build rotation I'm used to doing, so I think with more practice I could get better at it. One heavy attack each rotation is probably enough. I can spell out the exact rotation I did if need be, but it should be pretty self explanatory.

@dpencil1 A friend who is working a lot on improving her MagSorc would really appreciate if you could detail your rotation, if you can!
    Edited by Dasovaruilos on August 31, 2017 1:26PM
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i use this and get 31-32k. no set rotation though, sorry. i just do whatever and hit my buttons a lot. i'm also a breton which sucks but w/e.

i couldn't make sense of his original rotation in the guide either fwiw, but some people here have cleared it up nicely.

edit: it's not fun to play. i don't really enjoy this at all, it's too much effort for not enough dps imo, and pet build is boring. might be time to be something that isn't a sorc.
    Edited by ecru on August 31, 2017 4:46PM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want decent DPS with infinite sustain without support and simple rotation is:
    Power Surge->LA->Liquid Lightning->LA->Lightning Blockade->LA->Haunting Curse->Bar Swap->Force Pulse->HA->Force Pulse->HA->Force Pulse; repeat 3x before you reapply Power Surge. If you are getting a lot of incoming damage hit hardened from time to time.
    Before execute phase be with full magicka, reapply your DoTs from back bar then spam mages wrath with LA 4x from your front bar. Ult with either thunderous rage or ice comet if that is available first.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • theacefes
    theacefes
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    If you want decent DPS with infinite sustain without support and simple rotation is:
    Power Surge->LA->Liquid Lightning->LA->Lightning Blockade->LA->Haunting Curse->Bar Swap->Force Pulse->HA->Force Pulse->HA->Force Pulse; repeat 3x before you reapply Power Surge. If you are getting a lot of incoming damage hit hardened from time to time.
    Before execute phase be with full magicka, reapply your DoTs from back bar then spam mages wrath with LA 4x from your front bar. Ult with either thunderous rage or ice comet if that is available first.

Would you happen to have a parse of you doing this rotation? :) Thanks!
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    @Asardes would you adjust CP to include staff expert if you are using HA like that?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I have some points there but I'm not sure how much they contribute overall. Lightning HA is also a DoT so it should benefit from thaumaturge. That's where you should stack primarily to get exploiter. Also elf born and elemental expert, next spell erosion and what's left in MAA and Staff Expert but only if you haven't already rounded up the others.
    Edited by Asardes on August 31, 2017 5:35PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Kurkikohtaus
    Kurkikohtaus
    ✭✭✭
    @Asardes I am using a variation of the CP setup on Alcasts page, without Staff Expert and MAA up to now. Any chance you could break down those CPs you have when you get a chance to look?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as I said I'm using almost the same, but with a bit less in spell erosion as I've retained my sharpened staff on the front bar. The missing ones are spread around MAA and staff expert simply because putting more in the said stats was only raising them slightly above the "break point". The number is small, probably 7-8 in those stars.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also my build is slightly different overall since I'm still in the process of improving at vMA and felt the need for something a bit more defensive.

I use 5 Julianos 4 IA 2 Iceheart, infused backbar sharp front bar lightning. Works great for the purpose.

Front bar: Mages Wrath | Force Pulse | Hardened Ward | Inner Light | Bound Aegis | Ice comet
    Back bar: Elemental Blockade | Liquid Lightning | Haunting Curse | Power Surge | Bound Aegis | Elemental Rage
    Edited by Asardes on August 31, 2017 5:53PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: