Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

BS and Woodworking Keen Eye Question

Lorajet
Lorajet
✭✭✭
I have an Alt that has been crafting equipment and I finally put keen eye on him. As he really doesn't have any other fighting skills (all in crafting) was this a stupid thing to do? Should I put keen eye on a character that can actually defend himself in the wild (put really isn't into crafting)?

I'm finally getting into crafting seriously, and find I'm at a loss on the logistics on this. Sorry if this has been answered many times before. Appreciate any guidance.
  • thamightyboro
    thamightyboro
    ✭✭
    You really want him to be able to fight a little so many pesky mobs out there usually just trash so any 1 low cost spam ability should do. Or better still just pop keen eye on your main guy.

I dont craft but am a rescource hoarder as soon as have 1 skill I invest into keen eye and the deconstruction one.

Worth it imo and skil points arent hard to come by these days.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing i would recommend is to only buy keen eye for alchemy ingredients. The other resource nodes are relatively easy to spot once you get used to how they look, but i can't spot Mountain flower in the grass even after 3+ years of playing :smirk:

Reason why not buy all the keen eyes is to keep the information overload down: when you need to pick flowers, you don't want that keen eye glow showing up all over the place.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lorajet

My Level 13 Stam Warden is nearly at 50 in Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking ... but still has plenty of skill points allocated to combat.

There's a surplus of skill points out there to get.

Find out later that you didn't allocate skill points right?

That's OK, too, because you can head to one of the respec shrines to change skill points.

Those are located in Wayrest, Elden Root, Mournhold, and Vivec City.
  • Lorajet
    Lorajet
    ✭✭✭
    @thamightyboro Yea, I was afraid of that! Will need to slot either a pet skill or something so I don't get flattened every time I leave town. Thx!

@Taleof2Cities I respec'd one of my spare MagSorcs to do the crafting and had a nice bunch of skill points. Went wild and threw some in the keen eye; now wish I hadn't. I'll through a few points into skills to cover my ass!

@Sharee Alchemy keen eye is the best and I should of stopped at that. I added keen eye to BS and Wood; what a waste! Oh, well.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wondered this myself - good post! :)
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    One thing i would recommend is to only buy keen eye for alchemy ingredients. The other resource nodes are relatively easy to spot once you get used to how they look, but i can't spot Mountain flower in the grass even after 3+ years of playing :smirk:

Reason why not buy all the keen eyes is to keep the information overload down: when you need to pick flowers, you don't want that keen eye glow showing up all over the place.

Keen Eye on alchemy is amazing. Columbine is near-invisible without it in a lot of environments.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only do Keen Eye for Alchemy and maybe Clothing. Lots of flowers are hard to spot (looking at you, Mountain Flower), and Ancestor Silk can blend in with foliage sometimes
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    For noncombatant farming make a set of night silence and fram a set of dark stride easy to pick up in ravenspire
    Go fast in stealth and little drain on your resources
  • mexicutioner915
    Get the combat skills that you find most useful as well as the passive skills then put the rest onto crafting. Like somebody else mentioned above, there are a lot of skill points available through skyshards, Caldwell's silver/gold quests etc
  • Eyesinthedrk
    Eyesinthedrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want keen eye on any and all characters that move through over land zones. If your moving from one place to another you might as well get the mats you pass. And sure you can see rubidite and wood without keen eye but I'll see it first, especially at night.

But you want your dedicated farmer to be maxed out in all crafting. Except maybe provisioning. At over 1000 mats to fully gear out a cp 160, you don't want half the nodes your farmer finds to be iron and jute. He also needs to have a maxed out horse and rapid maneuvers.

If trash adds are giving you troubles farm skyshards and public dungeons for group events while you're farming mats and spend a few points in dots. A wall of elements and heavy attacks on a lightning staff will kill a big group of anything low level

• Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    Only do Keen Eye for Alchemy and maybe Clothing. Lots of flowers are hard to spot (looking at you, Mountain Flower), and Ancestor Silk can blend in with foliage sometimes

This - Alchemy and Clothing are the hardest to spot

Then Woodworking

Then Ore

And don't bother with Enchanting. They can actually be HARDER to spot with Keen eye.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a side note: If you are on PC, you don't need any points in Keen Eye. Just download one the addons for harvesting.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a side note: If you are on PC, you don't need any points in Keen Eye. Just download one the addons for harvesting.

Even with Harvest Map merge, the node markers aren't always in the right place or are marking dungeon nodes when you're outside in the overland areas ... so it's not as convenient as one might think.

Harvest Map will also mark nodes that have been collected where keen eye doesn't.

There are times when you need that add-on ... but new players should be aware of the hazards of using it.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on September 5, 2017 9:59PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another point on Harvest Map is it can slow the game down to a crawl if your tracking lots of Node Types.

2 or 3 points in Alchemy and maybe 1 point in Cloth is all you really need. And the Cloth one is not all that needed.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"