The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Aetheric Cipher / Dust in Vvardenfell ?

anitajoneb17_ESO
anitajoneb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

In november 2016, the super-ambrosia recipes went live, as well as their ingredients. You mentioned in the patch notes that they would NOT drop in all regions of the game, but in specific ones, as listed below.
Both the Aetheric Cipher and Aetherial Dust are unbound, meaning that they can be traded and sold from one player to another. These items will only appear in the following areas:
Alik'r Desert
Auridon
Bal Foyen
Bangkorai
Betnikh
Bleakrock
Coldharbour
Cyrodiil
Deshaan
Eastmarch
Glenumbra
Grahtwood
Greenshade
Khenarthi's Roost
Malabal Tor
Reaper's March
The Rift
Rivenspire
Shadowfen
Stonefalls
Stormhaven
Stros M'Kai

From that list, we could conclude back then that these items do not drop in any DLC zones, nor in Craglorn.

But how is it with Vvardenfell ? Please update this list (or mention that it does NOT drop in the new chapter's region).
Thank you.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 27, 2017 11:14AM

Best Answer

• Luminaraa
    Luminaraa
    Soul Shriven
    I made a new character and was only playing in Vvardenfell. Have no idea what it dropped from...but I got Aetheric Dust from Vvardenfell.
    Edited by Luminaraa on September 11, 2017 7:58PM
    Life will change without our permission. It's our attitude that will determine the ride.
    -Kip Sawdy
    Answer ✓
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starting to think this stuff is a myth
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Until I see or read otherwise, I do not expect to see them in Vvardenfell.
    Elsewhere I have found 4 dust but never seen a cipher.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    All the zones confirmed as not dropping Aetheric stuff have one thing in common:

A style material or unique trait material that drops from raw material nodes in addition to the usual crafting materials, furnishing materials, and fishing bait.

Nirncrux in Craglorn.
    Cassiterite sand in Orsinium.
    Rogue's Soot in Hews Bane.
    Grains of Pearl Sand from the Gold Coast.

I highly doubt Aetheric stuff can drop in Vvardenfell because Viridian dust drops from nodes over there.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

The question is : If Vvardenfell nodes would not drop aetheric dust/cipher, would ZOS have told us ? That, I'm not sure.
    I highly doubt Aetheric stuff can drop in Vvardenfell because Viridian dust drops from nodes over there.

I had not seen it that way, and your reasoning makes a lot of sense. I'd still prefer ZOS to give an official answer, but you are probably right.

• neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aetheric Cipher in about 4,000 hours has never found by me, i have 3 dust from a friend who has found 5 dust in total and he hasn't being playing much more then one year. Cipher comes from BOSSES in the list above.
    Edited by neverwalk on August 29, 2017 1:51AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    Aetheric Cipher in about 4,000 hours has never found by me, i have 3 dust from a friend who has found 5 dust in total and he hasn't being playing much more then one year. Cipher comes from BOSSES in the list above.

My question is specifically about regions where it can be found. We all know it's rare - as it's meant to be.
    Are you sure the cipher comes from bosses ? The patch notes were very clear that it does NOT drop from monsters.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luminaraa wrote: »
    I made a new character and was only playing in Vvardenfell. Have no idea what it dropped from...but I got Aetheric Dust from that zone.

THAAANK YOU !!!
    That's what I wanted to know.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , could you please update/maintain a list of places where the dust and cipher drop, when DLCs and Chapters are being added to the game ?

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Elsewhere I have found 4 dust but never seen a cipher.

Yeah I believe its better to make gold elsewhere than wasting time to try and find ciphers.