The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Things I learned from the Morrowind release and "chapters" concept

davey1107
davey1107
✭✭✭✭✭
Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion. People have their own views on what the value of a game is, and that's okay.

1. I'm not rushing to buy in early, or on release date. Zos showed that they're not going to offer anything special to those of us who pre-order. What would a good preorder bonus be to me? Maybe 1,500 crowns, or a 15 pack of crown crates. One crate is a no...ha.

2. I won't buy at all if any one major segment of the new content is something I won't want to play. I bought Morrowind thinking I'd love Battlegrounds, but I knew I hated non-CP content. From now on, ZERO LOYALTY when Zos forces a mechanism I don't want to play under. It's their game, no harm no foul if they develop content I don't like. But no more paying to support the game, thinking that there will be a quick expansion of the content. (Based on the way they described Battlegrounds, it seemed like there would be added functionality quickly, including CP play and the ability to choose the game. Now that I see it will be 6+ months, no ordering at release under an assumption they'll add features to Jew content quickly).

3. I won't be buying chapters until they're on sale. I paid $60 in June for the collectors edition, and by August it's on sale for $40. I thought Morrowind would be so cool I'd want to spend the summer playing, but in all honesty if I were starting today at 33% cheaper I'd be happier. Because the pre-order bonuses are lame, no harm in waiting to hear what people think before buying.

4. For that matter, I'm not sure what will make chapters worth real world money at all. For me the value of Morrowind was mostly the new class. The area wasn't much more than any of their DLCs...it's cool, but it wasn't $40 vs 1500 crowns cool. I can't imagine that next year's chapter will introduce a new class. Somthere has to be something big on the table to make it stand out above a regular dlc.

5. Some of the above MIGHT change if the next chapter is Elesweyr and not Black Marsh, because honestly Argonians transmit salmonella ifmyou don't wash your hands constantly.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    3. I won't be buying chapters until they're on sale. I paid $60 in June for the collectors edition, and by August it's on sale for $40.

It's no cheaper now on sale from Steam and ZO than it has always been from other vendors, eg. Green Man Gaming. Always shop around.

Also always expect everything to go on sale eventually. That's how the market works. For most products, first buyers always pay more.

That said it has gone on sale from ZO and Steam much earlier than I would have anticipated. My guess is both that sales were poorer than they had hoped - not surprising all things considered - and that they're trying to muscle in on the competition. Guild Wars 2's second expansion recently entered the market.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    4. For that matter, I'm not sure what will make chapters worth real world money at all. For me the value of Morrowind was mostly the new class. The area wasn't much more than any of their DLCs...it's cool, but it wasn't $40 vs 1500 crowns cool. I can't imagine that next year's chapter will introduce a new class. Somthere has to be something big on the table to make it stand out above a regular dlc.

Not sure where you're getting 1500 crowns from. Orsinium was 3000 Crowns and DB and TG were both 2000 Crowns. I think that MW had as much content as Orsinium, so if they had charged $30, that would have seemed a fairer price.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1500 crown or 15 crates, is the price of those that equal? But seriously, want Zos to jack op the price further to add in all that doesn't make sense. (Or maybe it's just entitlement to get even more). No one was forced to pre-order.

2. Not buying a chapter if any one part of the new chapter is something you don't want. Lol. This one has to be a joke. There is something in there for every interest. Glad I'm not this narrow minded. Clearly not someone serious about PvE raiding or has a strong interest in PvP. It's cool not wanting them pay for more but point 2 is not any semi serious gamer or ESO fan will think of.

3. Is merely a choice. There are benefits in game to get there early and benefits to waiting for that sale. One benefit for easier purchase was the recent PvP event achievements but certainly not a big deal. Also, great being one of the earlier clears of vHoF, but that's my interest.

4. Again. It really has to do with ones interests. And just like you probably do not care about why I bought the expansion or how I have enjoyed the new content we really don't care why you aren't into it.

5. Again, I don't think you care if I'll be interested in the next expansion or why and we'll, I don't think your interest or lack of it will be of concern to us or Zos. Everyone has different interests and some have stronger interests in the game or not so much. It is life.