The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

More lucrative: selling fish or perfect roe?

Remag_Div
Remag_Div
✭✭✭✭✭
To clarify, by selling fish I mean the fish you can fillet in stacks of 200 as opposed to filleting them and trying to acquire Perfect Roe.

I'm going for Master Angler right now and that means I will end up with tens of thousands of fish. Going by MM most fish sell for about 80-90 Gold per (16,000-18,000 Gold per stack) and for some reason River Betty's sell for the most at around 102 Gold per (20,400 Gold). PS. Why is this? Do River Betty's have a higher chance of Perfect Roe?

Not bad considering the thousands and thousands of fish I will acquire. Or I can take a chance and fillet them all and try to get as many Perfect Roe as I can. Perfect Roe sell for about 10,000 Gold per. Now it would seem to make more sense to fillet and sell Roe but the only issue is it's all RNG and I might get unlucky and not acquire a lot whereas selling fish is guaranteed income.

What does everyone think?

Best Answers

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the latest prices on PC-NA we have and assuming a 1% Perfect Roe drop rate:
    • Fish = 80 gp
    • Perfect Roe = 10,000 gp (~8,000 gp in Fish)
    • Ambrosia = 2,900 gp (11,600 gp / Perfect Roe)

So, assuming you fish for a while to get the average 1% drop rate you'll make more money by filleting the fish and making x4 Ambrosia from each Perfect Roe. Of course this all takes time and requires the Ambrosia recipe so it may just be easier to sell the Fish if you don't have a lot of them.

Note the Ambrosia recipe is worth +30k which will take around 9 perfect roe (900 fish) to break even on that cost if you include it in the calculation.

Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
    Answer ✓
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the latest prices on PC-NA we have and assuming a 1% Perfect Roe drop rate:
    • Fish = 80 gp
    • Perfect Roe = 10,000 gp (~8,000 gp in Fish)
    • Ambrosia = 2,900 gp (11,600 gp / Perfect Roe)

So, assuming you fish for a while to get the average 1% drop rate you'll make more money by filleting the fish and making x4 Ambrosia from each Perfect Roe. Of course this all takes time and requires the Ambrosia recipe so it may just be easier to sell the Fish if you don't have a lot of them.

Note the Ambrosia recipe is worth +30k which will take around 9 perfect roe (900 fish) to break even on that cost if you include it in the calculation.

Wow, I didn't even consider using the Perfect Roe to make Psijic Ambrosia to sell. I do have the recipe learned so that seems like the best bet, I was just worried about acquiring lack of Perfect Roe with filleting.
    Answer ✓
  • 2legit2quit
    2legit2quit
    ✭✭
    i think you answered your own question.. sure thing > gamble.. dependent on your personality :smiley:
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously I got like 3 perfect roe in a ROW while fileting
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I sold a handful of perfect roe and some psijic ambrosia a couple of months ago when I was in the middle of getting my master angler achievement but don't see fishing as a big money earner. Back then (PS4) it was 14k per roe and 4.5k per ambrosia - it is now about 12k per roe and 3.5 - 4k per ambrosia.

I'd say it depends on whether you can be bothered with filleting them and/or making psijic ambrosia. Now that I have Master Angler, I have about 50 perfect roe and a full stack of every fish but cannot be bothered selling or filleting them (I also have 2 unused Psijic Ambrosia recipes sitting in the bank).
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tucker3711 wrote: »
    Seriously I got like 3 perfect roe in a ROW while fileting

Had this happen to me a few days ago. Got three out of a stack of 100 right in a row. Kind of laughed as The last 700 fish I fileted gave me zero.......
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are paying 16-20k for fish? Damn, nice to know :)
    PS4 EU - StamDK