Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Pack Merchant - No Quest To Purchase Space For Newbs

Inarre
Inarre
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there a level, quest, or other requirement in order to purchase bag space upgrades with coins?

I have a very charming banker character who is unable to expand his bag space with coins, the pack merchant refuses to talk to me.

PS. I have searched the forums and online for answers to no avail. I am not maxed space already, I am a brand new character with 60 bag spaces.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the find a bag merchant to upgrade bag space. Banker only upgrades bank space
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's strange.

There's no quest involved. Use the help menu to report it and maybe go try a different pack merchant in a different location? As long as you have the money needed for the bag upgrade there shouldn't be anything stopping you from getting it.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest one to explain is in Daggerfall (Glenumbra) between the bank and blacksmithing forge, there's a cart and some people in the middle of the road. There's a pack merchant there
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb question, but do you have the gold you need to upgrade the bank space? That is kind of expensive. The Banker should still show you the option to increase bag space when you select the correct dialog option.

Character Bag space upgrades are cheap, for the first 2 or 3 (400, 2000, 5900). Character Bag space merchants are rarely in the bank, usually near the bank, but can sometimes be across town from the bank.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    You have the find a bag merchant to upgrade bag space. Banker only upgrades bank space

Thanks. My post says I am at the pack merchant in Deshaan.
    Inarre wrote: »
    the pack merchant refuses to talk to me.
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Easiest one to explain is in Daggerfall (Glenumbra) between the bank and blacksmithing forge, there's a cart and some people in the middle of the road. There's a pack merchant there

I guess I will try talking to other vendors and see if anyone else will talk to me...
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Dumb question, but do you have the gold you need to upgrade the bank space? That is kind of expensive. The Banker should still show you the option to increase bag space when you select the correct dialog option.

Character Bag space upgrades are cheap, for the first 2 or 3 (400, 2000, 5900). Character Bag space merchants are rarely in the bank, usually near the bank, but can sometimes be across town from the bank.

No that is a good question. But this character has 20K gold on him, and first quest is for 400 coins so the pack merchant should STILL talk to me :(
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silly question, did you max out your inventory space? There is a finite limit to how far up it goes (140 without horses iirc)
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Silly question, did you max out your inventory space? There is a finite limit to how far up it goes (140 without horses iirc)
    I am not maxed space already, I am a brand new character with 60 bag spaces.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I will try talking to other vendors and see if anyone else will talk to me...

Try this one, in Daggerfall in Glenumbra, the Pack Merchant is outside the bank near the Writ Board. He has a cart. You should be able to get to Daggerfall, if not by Wayshrine, by a Navigator (look for Anchors or Wagons on your Local Map of the big city you are in.

Or

In Davon's Watch, the pack merchant is tucked in behind the other Tent Stalls in the city. I believe there is a map icon for the Merchant if your looking at the local map for the city.

Edited by Nestor on August 22, 2017 3:53PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go try the pack merchant in Davon's Watch for Bal Foyen and see if it acts the same

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pack Merchant stores have a Red Banner with a bag symbol on it.

locations --- http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pack_Merchants (does not list the one in Vvaredfell)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only one I can think of left: you got a big bounty? Merchants won't talk to you, and maybe that applies to pack merchants.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Also, go to a stable and talk to the stable manager.

You'll get 3 options, to increase speed, something else, and purchase bag space for 250 gold each time, every 20 hours.

Good luck.

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Switching to a pack merchant other than in Mournhold is generally a wise decision if you are a milkdrinker. More generally, if you are Argonian, I recommend going to the pack merchant in either Shadowfen or Rift.

• Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their help.

I have tried multiple pack merchants with no luck :( I currently have 140 bag spaces with max riding capacity at 60. I have checked the crown store and I cannot buy any more bag space upgrades (says I have 8/8). I will assume it is a bug and report through the client

Thank you
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried multiple pack merchants with no luck :( I currently have 140 bag spaces with max riding capacity at 60. I have checked the crown store and I cannot buy any more bag space upgrades (says I have 8/8). I will assume it is a bug and report through the client

Thank you

Okay, wait, this is legitimately strange.

So, a character with Maxed horses, and no bags purchased should be at 120, not 140. However, a character who does not have any inventory at all with maxed bags and a maxed horse would be at 140...

So, something is seriously messed up there.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have a bounty, the only one who will talk with you is the one in Coldharbour.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on August 23, 2017 2:20AM
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you

So you have 140 spaces or 60 spaces? If you have maxed your riding capacity I am assuming you did it through crown store since you said it is a new character.

As others have asked, do you have a bounty?
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must have lots of gold too. Hehe . The pack merchant will tell you to bug off if you dont,have the required gold,in,stock.
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what you are describing, it seems as though you bought all your available bag upgrades through the crown store. You need to have a mount active and then you can buy mount training from the stables once per day. There are three to choose from. Stamina, speed and capacity. You are looking to increase your capacity. Or if you like going the crown store route, you can buy riding lessons from there.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a level, quest, or other requirement in order to purchase bag space upgrades with coins?

I have a very charming banker character who is unable to expand his bag space with coins, the pack merchant refuses to talk to me.

PS. I have searched the forums and online for answers to no avail. I am not maxed space already, I am a brand new character with 60 bag spaces.

First additional spaces are like only 400 gold but it increases fast with each additional 10 spaces. That is for bank and personal bag, but separately.

In major cities, if one opens their map and looks at the icons, hover over them (not sure about consoles), and you will see a small bag icon with a name beside it. That is where you go to upgrade bag space. Bank symbols for upgrading bank space.

@MissBizz explained the easiest location, in Glenumbra. BTW, Max personal bag space is 140 and an additional 60 spaces can be obtained by upgrading the storage on ones mounts. Bank space maxes at 240 spaces.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    CMFan1966 wrote: »
    You need to have a mount active and then you can buy mount training from the stables once per day.

You only need an active mount for the inventory bonuses to apply to your character. You can still train at the stable each day without one, but you don't actually get the inventory slots until you set a mount active.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if you have 60 riding capacity plus 140 for total of 200, then you are already at max for that character.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, @Inarre, two things come to mind.

First, have you actually selected a mount in the collections interface?

Second, have you checked your character sheet to see what your mount upgrade status is?

If you haven't actually equipped a mount, you won't get the 60 inventory slots from that. Alternately, it's possible you accidentally bought the bag upgrades rather than the mount upgrades.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya seems,like your,maxed out but no active mount maybe?
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for an NPC in the merchant area that has this banner on his tent.

Bag-Merchant.jpg
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Active mount sounds the most likely answer here given the numbers.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Inarre I also suspect you bought the bag space upgrades with crowns instead of the horse inventory lessons.

Fresh character = 60 spaces
    Max inventory horse= 60 spaces
    Max bag upgrades = 80 spaces

You got 140 on your character, that's the base 60 + the 80 from the bag space upgrade which you paid with crows rather than gold. Equip a horse, and you should be able to buy the inventory riding lessons at a stables (or get them with crowns).
    PC-EU